mon petit océan

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I dropped so much cash today I'm still processing the sticker shock. ;Dead
wait till your first frag swap and you spend 2 weeks worth of pay checks or you buy that first high end coral and that 1" little chunk is more then a mortgage payment on a decent sized house hahaha

Oh the joys of reef keeping :D

My first year of college :D
upload_2018-2-8_9-45-6.png

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait till your first frag swap and you spend 2 weeks worth of pay checks or you buy that first high end coral and that 1" little chunk is more then a mortgage payment on a decent sized house hahaha

Oh the joys of reef keeping :D

My first year of college :D
upload_2018-2-8_9-45-6.png

Over the last two weeks I've spent the equivalent of what it cost to smuggle a child out of Syria. Yes, this bothers me a bit. Corals are not in my near future, lol. My only necessary remaining big purchase is a light, & looks like that's probably a good thing!

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last two weeks I've spent the equivalent of what it cost to smuggle a child out of Syria. Yes, this bothers me a bit. Corals are not in my near future, lol. My only necessary remaining big purchase is a light, & looks like that's probably a good thing!
believe me what started with a 10g dorm tank has turned into hundreds of gallons of saltwater , 3 displays and a grow out tank... I know the struggles haha

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping some of you have books, documentaries, something unique to make it more fun.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I am... so... not Dr Phil... but it sounds to me as if this beavis isn't worth the electronic ink you've already spilled talking about him.

Move on. He was a clownfish fan? Buy a zebra moray and see if he'll eat your clowns :D Don't let some idiot ruin something you enjoy doing. In a widely disproportionate male to female skewed hobby like this one? Find a local reef club somewhere.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the world of reefing..:)

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I am... so... not Dr Phil... but it sounds to me as if this beavis isn't worth the electronic ink you've already spilled talking about him.

Move on. He was a clownfish fan? Buy a zebra moray and see if he'll eat your clowns :D Don't let some idiot ruin something you enjoy doing. In a widely disproportionate male to female skewed hobby like this one? Find a local reef club somewhere.

I will have to google that fish.

No, forum was the problem. No, hes not a participant of this one. I just need to reframe. I thought of going to a swap see if i can get as excited. There is one in two weeks, but driving two hours to one, and I cant even buy seems silly? Worth it.

Last edited:

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to google that fish.

No, forum was the problem. No, hes not a participant of this one. I just need to reframe. I thought of going to a swap see if i can get as excited. There is one in two weeks, but driving two hours to one, and I cant even buy seems silly? Worth it.

I drive all over the state for swaps, and most of the time I dont spend more than an hour or so at them. Still, its nice to talk to vendors (if its a decent sized show) and people that are interested in the same stuff as me, even if they dont know me. Plus, usually there are really good deals on physical sundries (like frag plugs, glue, bulbs, and other odds and ends). If nothing else, maybe just walking around and looking at whats there can be inspiration and a spring board into separating what was bad in your previous experience, with something to look forward to and gain a bit of confidence moving forward.

I agree with the advice above as well - dont let someone else ruin your enjoyment. This is a pretty awesome place for learning, inspiring and enjoying the reefs of others while building your own amazing piece of reef :D You have a pretty awesome looking tank and stand to start with, and your equipment list is a good start! Cant wait to see how things develop!

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive all over the state for swaps, and most of the time I dont spend more than an hour or so at them. Still, its nice to talk to vendors (if its a decent sized show) and people that are interested in the same stuff as me, even if they dont know me. Plus, usually there are really good deals on physical sundries (like frag plugs, glue, bulbs, and other odds and ends). If nothing else, maybe just walking around and looking at whats there can be inspiration and a spring board into separating what was bad in your previous experience, with something to look forward to and gain a bit of confidence moving forward.

I agree with the advice above as well - dont let someone else ruin your enjoyment. This is a pretty awesome place for learning, inspiring and enjoying the reefs of others while building your own amazing piece of reef :D You have a pretty awesome looking tank and stand to start with, and your equipment list is a good start! Cant wait to see how things develop!

Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend.

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, my equipment & I are going to work on forming a bond this Valentine's Day weekend. By this time next year the honeymoon phase of our relationship will be long over... I'll be irked at their fecklessness. They'll be tired of my whining. :p

IMG_20180210_052334.jpg

Last edited:

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, my equipment & I are going to work on forming a bond this Valentine's Day weekend. By this time next year the honeymoon phase of our relationship will be long over... I'll be irked at their fecklessness. They'll be tired of my whining. :p

IMG_20180210_052334.jpg

All you need is a pair of over sized googly eyes for that skimmer... and the scene would be priceless!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a picture of your skimmer and sump. Maybe it will help you see how to set it up. Anyone know which return pump this is? It looks kind of like an eheim.

You are going to need a small compact return pump to fit in that space. The jebao may be too big.

OMG, that cheesecake and glass of wine look so yummy. :)

IMG_02551_zpsf0813905.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see how this comes along! [emoji846] Which lights are you considering?

I do not! I have a list, but i need to now start intense reading up on all these corals! You should start a build thread to lovely lady.

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daltrey I have one "real life" hobbiest friend. :D He's a super nice individual! We will be drilling my tank in my walk in shower. Giving it until next weekend though. In person the equipment is really pretty & I think getting to physically work on the scape (FINALLY) will turn things (hopefully) permanently around.

This is a great pic. & as more time has gone by, the more I've started to want to do more & more myself... because cleaning up messes is fun?! ;Hilarious Seriously, its a relief that I can see myself doing all this plumbing.

Will be thankful for assistance for the RODI install, salt station set-up. & equipment fine tuning!

I have a stellar list. The under $20 bottles are all steals for the cost.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back