ScubaZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red monti cap in the center of my tank that was doing really good for a while and now is taking a turn for the worst. Too much light maybe? It’s right under a hydra 26hd although it’s lower in the tank. It seems to bleeching out possibly in some areas although I’m not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

25 gallon lagoon
Salt-1.024
Alk-9
Cal-420
Ph 8.4
Temp- 78°f
Nitrate- 10> ppm

5A547C4F-4D79-4272-B330-4A235A4CB886.jpeg 93496392-3CF1-4A83-BB13-7C4192A66511.jpeg 4ADD7CC0-63A5-4827-9690-CE0155DD5F02.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless uve changed the lighting i doubt its that.
Could it have grown to a point its hampering flow?
Do u know ur phosphate levels?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULR. This one:

Montis Cap are generally good under strong lighting -- unless they came from a shaded tank directly to yours.

I am going to guess that you have a reasonable phosphate level if nitrates are 10 and your softies look happy. Still, every reefer should have a Hanna checker IMO.

I think I would also pick up a coral dip like CoralRx. It is pretty strong, so follow the directions closely, or look them up here.

Lastly as mentioned, caps like flow. How is the flow in the center?

The hard part about SPS is they don't give the strongest visual cues when unhappy until they have been unhappy for a while. Usually. How long have you had this piece and when did you first notice necrosis?

OP
OP
ScubaZ

ScubaZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULR. This one:

Montis Cap are generally good under strong lighting -- unless they came from a shaded tank directly to yours.

I am going to guess that you have a reasonable phosphate level if nitrates are 10 and your softies look happy. Still, every reefer should have a Hanna checker IMO.

I think I would also pick up a coral dip like CoralRx. It is pretty strong, so follow the directions closely, or look them up here.

Lastly as mentioned, caps like flow. How is the flow in the center?

The hard part about SPS is they don't give the strongest visual cues when unhappy until they have been unhappy for a while. Usually. How long have you had this piece and when did you first notice necrosis?

Thanks it’s been in the tank for a while over a year and was really starting to take off untill maybe a couple months ago started to fade away. The flow is pretty strong and it used to do in that area so I don’t think it is flow. I’ve never used dip before maybe I’ll give that a shot. Thanks a lot!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it’s been in the tank for a while over a year and was really starting to take off untill maybe a couple months ago started to fade away. The flow is pretty strong and it used to do in that area so I don’t think it is flow. I’ve never used dip before maybe I’ll give that a shot. Thanks a lot!

Hmmm. Your parameters are all fine. Have ALK and salinity been kept stable with no spikes?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Hanna phosphate url and tested twice It’s reading 0.01 ppm
you accuracy of the kit could mean you are actually at zero, that said 0.01 is still too low. That's what happened to all my montipora digi. It grew like mad to the fact I was selling frags often. Over the course of 3-4 months watching it get paler and paler, checking lighting and all other levels I had a faulty salifert p04 kit then got a second opinion at my lfs and I had 10 nitrates and 0 phosphates. That caused cyano and all my digitata to stn. I've solved the cyano and now dose phosphates. The polyps of digi that survived are regrowing.
I went from
Screenshot_20190923-002133_YouTube.jpg

To
Screenshot_20191011-222815_Gallery.jpg

Since dosing it's coming back slowly, so dont give up.
Screenshot_20191126-211432_Gallery.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank in my signature has 1-2 ppb of phosphate and the montis and stuff grows like weeds. This is not likely the issue.

Double check the calibration on your refractometer and get your salinity up to 35 ppt. Double check your temperature with something that has mercury in it. Go through the basics.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted that stylo in the background looks a tad p¡ssed off as well. White in the middle...
That's a poccilopora in OPs pic behind the monti, and it looks fine IMO, dense P. damicornis colonies will almost always be a little white on the inside of the colony, again, it really looks like something is munching on it to my eyes.
I'd be flipping that over and looking for nudis (about the size of a small grain of rice) and their eggs, also look really closely all over for little pod size dark grey and black things.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a poccilopora in OPs pic behind the monti, and it looks fine IMO, dense P. damicornis colonies will almost always be a little white on the inside of the colony, again, it really looks like something is munching on it to my eyes.
I'd be flipping that over and looking for nudis (about the size of a small grain of rice) and their eggs, also look really closely all over for little pod size dark grey and black things.
My bad. I meant poccilopora. My brain is in another world today lol

OP
OP
ScubaZ

ScubaZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you accuracy of the kit could mean you are actually at zero, that said 0.01 is still too low. That's what happened to all my montipora digi. It grew like mad to the fact I was selling frags often. Over the course of 3-4 months watching it get paler and paler, checking lighting and all other levels I had a faulty salifert p04 kit then got a second opinion at my lfs and I had 10 nitrates and 0 phosphates. That caused cyano and all my digitata to stn. I've solved the cyano and now dose phosphates. The polyps of digi that survived are regrowing.
I went from
Screenshot_20190923-002133_YouTube.jpg

To
Screenshot_20191011-222815_Gallery.jpg

Since dosing it's coming back slowly, so dont give up.
Screenshot_20191126-211432_Gallery.jpg
Darn thanks so much I’m not gonna lie my understanding was zero point of sale was a good thing... I guess not what numbers should I aim for? Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back