Monti Eating Nudis Predators HELP!!!

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you guys I made the awful discovery of Monti Eating Nudibranchs in my 55g tank. I plan on breaking off the dead portions, pulling out what I can to dip and scrub and add something to eat them. What fish can I get to help control/eradicate these little monsters? I've been told melanarus wrasse, Coris wrasse and 6 line wrasse so far. Are there any other predators I should know of? I'm just looking for reef safe and as peaceful as possible

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say the Coris Wrasse is not Reef safe. Mine has been a model citizen. He has never harmed any of my corals and is always on the hunt for critters on rockwork and corals. I definitely recommend one for your issues.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend the corris....def earns his keep. Are listed as not reef safe because they tend to eat all inverts even the ones we like such as brittle stars and feather dusters...

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty easy to control, but hard to eradicate. I use Yellow Coris Wrasse, 6 Line Wrasse and Peppermint shrimp. The wrasse's get ones that are not well hidden during the day and the shrimp hunt them at night. I also dose Flat Worm Stop. I am not sure if FWS helps with nudis, but I had seen some anecdotal info from BRS and I thought it could not hurt. Although I still have nudis, no corals are threatened and the nudis are not allowed to grow to plague proportions (which is what happens pretty fast without adequate controls).

If you have lots of nudis on a coral, if you can dip and use a small pump or powerhead to blow the nudis off, it makes a huge difference. You either need a very small pump, or a very large dip container. The dip itself will cause the nudis to become easy to blow off, the stream from the pump just makes it very easy to do.

Dennis

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna pull some of the montis out that have the most damage or nudis on them to dip today, as well as break off any dead portions. Hopefully will be getting one of the wrasses this week as well

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped everything, some a bit too long and killed them -.- oops. Got rid of tons of adult nudis though holy moly, worse then I thought. My LFS didn't get any six lines or yellow Coris this week. They got tons of Green Coris wrasses though "Halichoeres chloropterus", wanted to make sure they're reef safe too as well as Nudi predators. Please let me know

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped everything, some a bit too long and killed them -.- oops. Got rid of tons of adult nudis though holy moly, worse then I thought. My LFS didn't get any six lines or yellow Coris this week. They got tons of Green Coris wrasses though "Halichoeres chloropterus", wanted to make sure they're reef safe too as well as Nudi predators. Please let me know

The Green Coris Wrasse will be just as reef safe as the yellow. Meaning they may eat friendly invert as well (feather dusters, small shrimp, etc.). I would grab a green one as well as yellow. I have never seen the green ones locally, but if I did I would certainly be interested in adding one to my work detail. However there are some reports that they can be aggressive to other wrasses once mature.

Dennis

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather get the monties out to a QT for weekly dips for 5-6weeksthat would starve the ones left in the tank.i prefer to avoid the scenario here whatever is keeping them under control dies or stop haunting for nudis and then their population exploding and Mounties getting killed faster.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back