no3 20
po4 0.024

20191019_160121.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those parameters would cause your monti to bleach; any other changes to the tank recently?

OP
OP
baslewprime

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those parameters would cause your monti to bleach; any other changes to the tank recently?

Yes, the purple one ripped off from base and I got to re-glue it again. But since then the green one is starting to bleach too.

Maybe too much light?

It will bounce again? All my others corals doing are great.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your phosphate levels bottom out to 0?
Dose trace elements, iodine?
Did you increase light intensity recently?
Have you checked under them for montipora eating nudibranchs?

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they receiving the same lighting or has there been adjustment to lighting intensity?

If no change in lighting/placement, and other corals are doing OK, I would agree with @Zero1091 and inspect for pests. How long have they been in your tank?

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah because to me that doesnt look like bleaching from intense light. Yes You can obviously see the white exposed colorless skeleton but
That looks more like what montipora can look like after taking some damage like a sting from another coral or pests.

It doesn't appear as an even bleach either
So its either a sudden change or bottom out in
phosphate, elements, or pests damaging the coral.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask me lack of stability in alk will be the culprit 7 times out of 10. Did your alk go down to something much lower and your raised it back to 9 quickly or a big water change?

OP
OP
baslewprime

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your phosphate levels bottom out to 0?
Dose trace elements, iodine?
Did you increase light intensity recently?
Have you checked under them for montipora eating nudibranchs?

No, But Im dosing po4
No trace elements just 2 part from BRS.
I increased the light few weeks ago.

20191019_222212.jpg 20191019_222243.jpg 20191019_222343.jpg 20191019_222311.jpg 20191019_222301.jpg 20191019_222200.jpg

OP
OP
baslewprime

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they receiving the same lighting or has there been adjustment to lighting intensity?

If no change in lighting/placement, and other corals are doing OK, I would agree with @Zero1091 and inspect for pests. How long have they been in your tank?

I have them for almost 2 months. I moved it recently a few times because it was ripped off from base and then I re-glued them.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your po4 levels at?

How big of an increase in light? Percentages?
Tank doesnt look highly stocked but a deficiency in iodine will also cause color loss in montipora.
Had that issue once, dosed iodine and in two weeks a lot of my montis quickly recovered.

Yeah dont see any pests so thats ruled out, if it was nudibranch youd totally see them square dancing all over that under side.

OP
OP
baslewprime

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask me lack of stability in alk will be the culprit 7 times out of 10. Did your alk go down to something much lower and your raised it back to 9 quickly or a big water change?
No, a slight change from 9.5 to 9.0 a week ago, but since then 9.0 steady.

OP
OP
baslewprime

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your po4 levels at?

How big of an increase in light? Percentages?
Tank doesnt look highly stocked but a deficiency in iodine will also cause color loss in montipora.
Had that issue once, dosed iodine and in two weeks a lot of my montis quickly recovered.

Yeah dont see any pests so thats ruled out, if it was nudibranch youd totally see them square dancing all over that under side.

po4 0.024

I just increased royal blue and blue from 50 to 65.

Iodine? any brand in specific?

If I dose red sea energy will it does the same effect?

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugols marine iodine is what I personally use. I didnt understand its importance for sps specifically montis until I saw unreal recovery from dosing it.
I literally had a zero reading and my montis were hurting. 2 weeks and literally back from near dead.
But there are others out there any should do the trick with the directions given. Although you shouldnt dose what you cant test for so a test kit wouldn't hurt or an icp test if you can.

Thats not too much of an major increase in light but it could very well be that sudden increase that did it.
Bring it back down and see if it improves.

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like lots of minor changes in a short couple week period. I would just let everything stabilize and see if they bounce back. My montis are the first corals in my tank to react to any negative change. I have had the same monti just about completely die twice and I just left it alone and it came back every time. I can pretty much guarantee that if I go on vacation I will come back to white montis and the rest of the SPS in the system looking great. It’s weird.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To many changes causing stress would be my guess. You said you have only had the Monti's for 2 months, but have moved them several times, changed lighting and ALK. SPS like stability, and that means not changing things a lot.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugols marine iodine is what I personally use. I didnt understand its importance for sps specifically montis until I saw unreal recovery from dosing it.
I literally had a zero reading and my montis were hurting. 2 weeks and literally back from near dead.
But there are others out there any should do the trick with the directions given. Although you shouldnt dose what you cant test for so a test kit wouldn't hurt or an icp test if you can.

Thats not too much of an major increase in light but it could very well be that sudden increase that did it.
Bring it back down and see if it improves.

I too dosed lugols to my tanks, iodide additions can help corals take changes in lighting intensitys better in my experience, Sprung /Delbeek theorized that there is an antioxidant effect when iodide is converted to iodate, which help corals deal with the elevated free radicals produced by the elevated rate in photosynthesis. Temperature also comes into play with negative effects of changes in lighting intensities (brighter), as higher temps = increased rate of photosynthesis as well, so double edged sword if both changes occur, the reason corals expel zooanxthelle due to increased temps and light is a self preservation tactic, there are oxidative by- products from zooanxelle during photosynthesis that if in excess can harm coral. It could be possible that lower/exhausted concentrations of certain trace, iodide, zinc, etc etc can make corals more susceptible to" bleaching"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back