Montipora Eating Critter?

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a montipora cap and montipora seasons greetings (undata?) recently die very suddenly when they were thriving previously and growing to new rock. I have acropora right next to the montipora that continue to thrive. I remember reading something about montipora eating nudibranchs. Tonight I took this video when feeding the tank. Can anyone help identify this critter and let me know if it is the source of my problem? If so, what is the recommended treatment? The critter appears at about 10 secs into the video in the little cave at the top of the screen. I have dipped every coral that I have ever placed in my tank with CoralRX for 10 minutes. Thanks in advance for the help!

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The critter appears to be an amphipod, no danger to your coral. Usually with monti eating nudis, you'll see patches of your monti dying as the zoox is being eaten.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Amphipods get that big? This thing is about the size of a rubber eraser on a pencil.

Thats nothing lol.

IMG_5693.JPG

OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then...I don't know what is eating my montipora. I bought some more Coral RX and was planning on dipping all my live rock again tomorrow. Anything else I should try? I am pretty certain this is not a light, flow or water chemistry issue. I have lots of SPS growing just fine in this tank right next to the newly dead montipora.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then...I don't know what is eating my montipora. I bought some more Coral RX and was planning on dipping all my live rock again tomorrow. Anything else I should try? I am pretty certain this is not a light, flow or water chemistry issue. I have lots of SPS growing just fine in this tank right next to the newly dead montipora.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/vermetid-snails-harm-coral-reefs-with-multiprong-attack
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have ordered some reef-safe epoxy to start covering up those vermetid snails. Hopefully that will make my tank safe for montipora again.
YW;) And super glue work to on vermetid snails.

OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully epoxied over all visible vermetid worms. Hopefully that solves the problem from them.

I do have another critter question. I have attached a video showing some wormlike creatures coming out from my live rock when I am feeding. This is also a relatively recent issue for me and coincides with my montipora coral dying. The critters look like part of a bristleworm but they are clearly striped and I thought bristleworms were more solid colored. I don't have much experience with any of these critters. Please help me ID these creatures and let me know if this is something else I need to worry about. If so, how do I remove them?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back