Moray eels

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a barred moray eel (5”) a snowflake eel (2’) and a black ribbon eel (2’) all in a 75 gallon tank.. I just read how most eels shouldn’t go together but is this true? Mine get along great and I’d like to add a green wolf eel or skeletor moray eel, are these ok choices or any suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of fish can get along for a short period of time, how long have they been together. They are all still growing as well, to keep eels happy in an aquarium you must keep them well fed. Even these 3 as they grow will be a heavy nutrient load for a 75g. All the eels your talking about are least aggressive towards other eels but you crowd them in and miss a feeding.......

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of fish can get along for a short period of time, how long have they been together. They are all still growing as well, to keep eels happy in an aquarium you must keep them well fed. Even these 3 as they grow will be a heavy nutrient load for a 75g. All the eels your talking about are least aggressive towards other eels but you crowd them in and miss a feeding.......

The barred and snowflake have been together for a year because we put them together at my store, the ribbon has been with them for 3 days. I’ve personally never seen an eel kill another eel at my store and my boss puts them together all the time. All 3 are pretty docile. All 3 even share the same cave at times. Maybe I’m just lucky?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barred and snowflake have been together for a year because we put them together at my store, the ribbon has been with them for 3 days. I’ve personally never seen an eel kill another eel at my store and my boss puts them together all the time. All 3 are pretty docile. All 3 even share the same cave at times. Maybe I’m just lucky?

Is your ribbon eel eating with gusto, I've found them to be a bit tough. I'm not sure how your barred eel is 5" if you've had him for a year, he should be almost 2' by now. As I said earlier, your eels are still small and are ones that tend to be not as eel aggressive. But a hungry eel will cause havoc, and 3 eels in a 75 I would call maxed out.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ribbon eel eating with gusto, I've found them to be a bit tough. I'm not sure how your barred eel is 5" if you've had him for a year, he should be almost 2' by now. As I said earlier, your eels are still small and are ones that tend to be not as eel aggressive. But a hungry eel will cause havoc, and 3 eels in a 75 I would call maxed out.

Honestly I have no clue how he’s that small but when we got him he was super small and we thought he’d die, the ribbon is eating silversides.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back