Most secure Camera for Live Streaming Fish

acirr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm trying to buy a camera for my father for Christmas to watch his fishtank. When new fish are acclimated they don't survive very long and they think that the other fish in the tank are killing the new fish. I wanted to get him a camera to watch his fish for when he is away. I also think it would be really cool to have a good live view of the fish! However, he is a doctor and I don't want to risk the camera being hacked which could lead to a HIPPA violation and many other worse problems of privacy being breached. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I would ideally want a smaller camera, and preferably mounted on the inside of the tank but if needed it can be on the outside.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$$$$... I don't think an in-tank camera is a viable option unless you want to spend a lot of time scraping algae off the lens cover. This is the camera I went with. How secure is it? Dunno - I've got it behind a pretty solid firewall (don't rely on any manufacturer guarantees).

Upvote 0

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you aren't going to like my solution, but it meets all of your parameters...

I have a similar setup to monitor my tank as I am usually always away and it helps me to look at the tank from time to time, so kinda therapeutic, but I am a bit of a nut for computer and hardware, so my solution is complete overkill.

I am really into Unifi systems. They are mostly a network and wifi outfit that has expanded into doorbells and cameras etc. They specialize in allowing you to a) host your own data, and b) not require monthly subscriptions per camera or whatnot. But you will need to purchase 2 things; a camera for $199 (you can get an older model G3 Flex camera for just $79), and then the cloudkey 2.0 for $199 which comes with a 1TB storage drive, then a PoE switch, to power both devices for $109. So total out the door is under $500. ($387)

In the Unifi Protect, the module that controls the cameras, you can set record times to when they do not see patients, but even then they may want to have a covering so that people know they are not being recorded.

I use the G3 Flex cameras and they are alright, but I think I am going to upgrade to the better camera. The G3 will certainly allow you to see if fish are getting along when they aren't being spooked by random people walking by.

Most important, all these things are currently in stock :D which was not the case a few months ago. I included an image I snapped from the log today. The camera is about 8ft away from the tank. It does not do well in heavy blue light, but if you are setup for Fish only, then you can monitor aggression.

FishRoom - 12-22-2022, 4.47.35pm.jpg

The cloudkey, despite it have the word "cloud" in it, does not copy or move your data to the cloud. The cloud service just connects your webbrowser to the cloudkey on site, so you don't need any fancy routing IT work done on the office's end, as long as they have a standard Ethernet connection.

The last thought, would be that the partners would have to probably need to sign off on the installation of a camera system, because of the liability.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back