Mounting lights on my canopy.

MandS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ya'all. Got a question. I just got a 110 gal tank with an acrylic canopy. It has 4 fans two that pull air in two that push air out. There's only 3 inches of clearance between the top of the canopy and the aquarium itself ( it's an acrylic tank). Any ideas how to mount lights? I can't put any type of screws in this hood. Is the 3" clearance too close?

20210516_013821.jpg 20210516_013449.jpg

rezaktp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck 3” is not much room. Most LED’s have fans on top, and T5 will be close.
I have a much taller acrylic canopy 8” tall. I glued some acrylic attachment point in place then screwed in some aluminum strips that I attached my light to.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @MandS , first off, welcome to R2R.

You're limited to options. I can't see how you could mount inside that canopy, and that leaves a couple solutions:

1. Build a new canopy. If you're running LEDs this would allow you to build and mount at the suggested height....typically 12-14 inches.

2. Cut holes in the top of your current canopy to mount lights on the top of the canopy. Still too close to the water and lights would be visible.

3. Get rid of the canopy all together and go with a screen top to stop carpet surfers.

If you decide to keep your current canopy, do me a favor and either pull the two fans blowing out off, or make all fans blowing in (with a passive hole somewhere to allow warm moist air to escape. The combination of fans in and fans out is a waste of fans.....think about turnover. And you always want fans IN so that moist saltwater laden air is flowing over your fan.....premature death of a fan.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As RedFish said you can mount them on top of the canopy if you don't mind seeing the lights but you'd need something with good spread like Kessil A360we which are recommended to be mounted at 6 inches but mine is currently at 3 as my canopy is low as well and the spread is fine but the closest thing to the surface of the water is at 1ft so it would really depend on aquascaping.
The best spread of any lights I know of are the ReefBrite Lumi Lights could work well I'd think but they are pretty limited in spectrum so the look is a bit lacking imo. They give great fluorescence but the colors looks very pastel.

OP
OP
MandS

MandS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get an Aquatic Life T5 Hydro with this tank as well, but I heard their fading and LEDs are the best. My husband and I do like the look of the canopy. We may just build a new one . I was afraid it was too close and yes I did notice most
lights have fans on top. Also not looking to get pastel colors that would wash out the bright colors of any corals I may get in the future. Thanks for the input.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i am going to do to overcome the issue of my Kessils having fans on top is drill holes in the top of the canopy and mount them directly to a fan grill that way they can breath and be mounted at the absolute top without having to sit them on top of the canopy.

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue but I am thinking reef ritebrite lumi lights will not have enough punch to get down 27”

Back