Moving a carpet anemone to a different tank

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody. I will be moving my 29 Biocube into a 90-gallon in the hopefully near future, and I had a question about my carpet anemone. He has been attached to the glass since I adopted this tank, which was in February, but my understanding is that he has been in that spot for 6 years. Is there anything I should know before I remove him from his spot on the glass? Should I try to relocate him onto a similar glass location in the new tank? Or should I see if he'll attach to a rock? Do you think a razor blade will work to peel him off? Any other thoughts would be lovely. I would hate to see him get grumpy in his new home.
Carpet Nem.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s on the glass you can simply peel it off with your finger. I would really avoid using a razor blade as you can cut the foot.
After relocating you can put it on the rocks and it will move until it finds its happy spot.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s on the glass you can simply peel it off with your finger. I would really avoid using a razor blade as you can cut the foot.
After relocating you can put it on the rocks and it will move until it finds its happy spot.
Perfect! Thank you so much!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really easy and non traumatic to remove him with a razor blade. Of course you should not injure him with the rozor blade, so you should take a little care. It is much better for the anemone if you use the razor blade.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also acclimate it as if you just purchased it

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really easy and non traumatic to remove him with a razor blade. Of course you should not injure him with the rozor blade, so you should take a little care. It is much better for the anemone if you use the razor blade.
That was kind of my thought...that it would be relatively easier to detach him from the glass with a razor because it would be a smoother removal, as long as I am, of course, careful. Thanks for your input!

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be too nervous to use a razor blade for the anemone's sake. Try using a old credit card if your fingers can't do the job.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be too nervous to use a razor blade for the anemone's sake. Try using a old credit card if your fingers can't do the job.
I have some time yet. Maybe I'll grow my fingernails out a bit and pick him off. That way I can feel what is glass and what is anemone foot.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back