MP40 bearing replacement, busted magnet

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping someone here might be able to provide some help. I recently bought a used MO40WQD powerhead and the bearings were really loud. Which was unfortunate because it was sold to me as running like new.

I saw a couple videos on the bearing replacement and decided to take this project on. While trying to remove the old bearings I dropped the bearing assembly and the magnetic sleeve cracked into about 25 pieces.

Well I knew I was no in good shape at that point. I looked up Ecotech and to my surprise they are actually s local company to me. So I dropped them an email to see if I could buy a new magnet or bearing assembly. Unfortunately I was informed these units are not servicable and nicely told I should buy a new dry side. That would be 250 + 20(bearings) + 205(new dry side)... yikes!

I’m hoping someone might be able to help me find the correct magnet for this application. The OD is 1”, the ID appears to be .75 to .85, the height is 1”.

I’m not a electrical motor guru but I’m wondering what type of magnet I need? I was thinking neodymium. The magnet was sleeved around a stack of washer. Was that to save cost on the magnet and used as “filler” or do those stacked washers have s function? My thought was if they don’t have a function it might be easier to find a bearing with the right OD and the ID could just be the shaft size.

Thanks,
John

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back