Multiple Acros lost PE

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear something bad may be approaching. Two days ago, 5 of my previously fluffy acros suddenly lost 90% PE (polyp extension). I've been running this tank for over a year and all these acros were flourishing previously with tons of PE. No changes were made in flow or water chemistry except broadcast feeding one more additional day per week. I was battling low nutrients previously (which caused minor burnt tips) but a week ago everything was recovering. Now if only one acro lost PE, I wouldn't care as much as it could just be a temperamental acro. But 5 of my acros...all at the same time? Parameters are all stable and have been for months. I'm awaiting results of my routine ATI ICP test currently (almost 2 weeks alrdy)

Alk 8
Phos 0.07
Ca 440
Mg 1370

Possible causes? I do have to mention that I lowered my blue percentage (just the blue setting) of my two AI primes by 5% because I was testing a theory that too much blue light causes greening of my pearl berry acro. I also started a new box of HW reefer salt (same salt I've been using, but has terrible consistency in alk for me between lot numbers ... but I adjust for it). Other than that, I don't know what could be causing this.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any random sprays in the house near the tank recently? Ei windex etc..? Doubt a 5% change in the light would make that much of a difference but I suppose it’s possible. No stn or Rtn? Just polyps hiding?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the acros in that tank?
PO4 looks fine; what about NO3?

While I agree that PE loss is generally a more contemporaneous response than something like RTN/STN, it is still worth thinking/looking back a couple weeks for any other potential stress events.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far. My nitrates are sitting at 5-10. I cannot think of anything external like Windex etc as I make sure nothing like that ever gets sprayed near the tank. I do have STN at the base of one of my acros (it tends to do that back when nutrients were low) but the loss of PE extends towards other acros that have no signs of STN or burnt tips.

These acros have been in the tank for over 6 months and have encrusted really well. I don't run GFO and I took out the activated carbon two days ago. I use a skimmer and chaeto for nutrient export. Carbon was previously replaced for a fresh batch about two weeks ago but I only run 1/2 a cup for my 70 gallon (water volume) system. I made sure it was thoroughly rinsed as well. I was suspecting possible low trace elements so that's why I took out the carbon two days ago.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far. My nitrates are sitting at 5-10. I cannot think of anything external like Windex etc as I make sure nothing like that ever gets sprayed near the tank. I do have STN at the base of one of my acros (it tends to do that back when nutrients were low) but the loss of PE extends towards other acros that have no signs of STN or burnt tips.

These acros have been in the tank for over 6 months and have encrusted really well. I don't run GFO and I took out the activated carbon two days ago. I use a skimmer and chaeto for nutrient export. Carbon was previously replaced for a fresh batch about two weeks ago but I only run 1/2 a cup for my 70 gallon (water volume) system. I made sure it was thoroughly rinsed as well. I was suspecting possible low trace elements so that's why I took out the carbon two days ago.
Check for pests/bugs. Any pod or bug on your acro flesh is bad

btb72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have fish that nip? Maybe one went rogue and started devouring them. Had a flame angel that switched over night and all polyps disappeared except for at night time.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be multiple reasons why. I’d check return pump and make sure it’s not clogged and/or slowing down. I’ve noticed before that when my tank started to look unhappy, my flow wasn’t as strong. I cleaned my pump and that made a world of difference. Just an idea.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pumps are all running well .. cleaned them a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any fish that nip at corals . All "reef safe" fish and I don't see any behavior that would indicate nipping. I pulled out a couple of frags a week ago to reapply some glue and I did notice the usual pods on it. I wish my ATI ICP test would come back already so I would know whether to dose trace elements or not. As of right now there's still no PE. Should I reintroduce the carbon in case it's some unforseen toxin?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pumps are all running well .. cleaned them a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any fish that nip at corals . All "reef safe" fish and I don't see any behavior that would indicate nipping. I pulled out a couple of frags a week ago to reapply some glue and I did notice the usual pods on it. I wish my ATI ICP test would come back already so I would know whether to dose trace elements or not. As of right now there's still no PE. Should I reintroduce the carbon in case it's some unforseen toxin?
I’d like to see the ICP too. That’s the only thing with ATI, so slow to get results. My last triton I mailed out on a Thursday, they received it on Friday and I had results the next business day, Monday. With that said, I’m going to use ATI for my next ICP because I’d like to see what they say about my salinity, RO and Alk, which Triton doesn’t.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good/safe pods will not be on the acros. Anything found on the coral flesh is bad.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I reintroduced the carbon back into the system (just 1/2 cup in my 70g water volume). I'm also going to take a closer look on the flesh of the acros for any pods/bugs. I really hope it's not a pest issue as I always dip my frags. I do have to note that I bought a few acros from aquasd a month ago (these acros have none of these PE issues)...that was the only change in terms of coral stocking.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I reintroduced the carbon back into the system (just 1/2 cup in my 70g water volume). I'm also going to take a closer look on the flesh of the acros for any pods/bugs. I really hope it's not a pest issue as I always dip my frags. I do have to note that I bought a few acros from aquasd a month ago (these acros have none of these PE issues)...that was the only change in terms of coral stocking.
I always re mount, qt and perform multiple dips with Bayer, revive and potassium and still had some sneak in. The ones I had looked like tiny specs of dust. I only saw them a couple hours after lights out with powerful flashlight. I did 3-8X in tank treatments of interceptor to get rid of them.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just went 3 rounds of Interceptor because of acro bugs. Loss of PE and TN at the base made me look closer and found hundreds of tiny pods on a couple colonies. I would follow Adam's (Battlecorals) dipping regime of Primer and Expel. Acro bugs are notorious for getting past certain dips, so be aware.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have access to interceptor. The only dip I've been using for two years is Revive. Out of all my affected acros, I was only able to pull out this one out. All the other ones were so encrusted to the liverock that I was shaking the liverock when trying to remove the frags. In this example, I dipped it in Revive for 10 minutes and blew off some small circular looking bugs? It also looks like overnight there's some tissue necrosis at the base and tips. The picture of the cup is hard to see but there are some small circular pests that came off and one or two red looking pods. I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just try to break off all the other frags and dip them as well?

Attachments

• 07765FF0-D46C-46D3-B693-F88F1B9AAD38.jpeg
    07765FF0-D46C-46D3-B693-F88F1B9AAD38.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 60979DCB-2CC1-41CE-88ED-C410C79E5433.jpeg
    60979DCB-2CC1-41CE-88ED-C410C79E5433.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 130

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have access to interceptor. The only dip I've been using for two years is Revive. Out of all my affected acros, I was only able to pull out this one out. All the other ones were so encrusted to the liverock that I was shaking the liverock when trying to remove the frags. In this example, I dipped it in Revive for 10 minutes and blew off some small circular looking bugs? It also looks like overnight there's some tissue necrosis at the base and tips. The picture of the cup is hard to see but there are some small circular pests that came off and one or two red looking pods. I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just try to break off all the other frags and dip them as well?
Dipping will not yield any long term success at this point if you have a parasitic copepod. You’ll need to perform an in tank treatment with interceptor or Dr G’s coral dip

Back