Multiple Koi tangs?

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience mixing multiple scopas tangs?

I am in the process of building a 500 gallon tank and getting my tang gang in QT.

My LFS guy brought me in:
Black longnose
Gem
Hippo
Whitetail
And he has 3 Koi scopas tangs to pick from.

I am leaning toward getting 2 of the Koi scopas but was hoping to hear of anyone has had any issues or success with multiple scopas in a tank.
My new tank is 8ft by 3ft.

2 of the 3 koi tangs are similar size (around 5 inch). The black longnose is close to 6in. Gem is just under 5 inch.

Planning to add some acanthurus in a few weeks/months if all goes well.

Thanks in advance

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience mixing multiple scopas tangs?

I am in the process of building a 500 gallon tank and getting my tang gang in QT.

My LFS guy brought me in:
Black longnose
Gem
Hippo
Whitetail
And he has 3 Koi scopas tangs to pick from.

I am leaning toward getting 2 of the Koi scopas but was hoping to hear of anyone has had any issues or success with multiple scopas in a tank.
My new tank is 8ft by 3ft.

2 of the 3 koi tangs are similar size (around 5 inch). The black longnose is close to 6in. Gem is just under 5 inch.

Planning to add some acanthurus in a few weeks/months if all goes well.

Thanks in advance
I've got a Koi Scopas with a Purple Tang with no issues in a 300gal. I've also got the tang gang. I found that adding them in together is best. If you're adding separately, I recommend adding a bigger fish than what's in there as far as tangs. Naso tangs seem to be the most docile so I add it last. Make sure they all have decent hiding places. I prefer using fish traps to acclimate them side by side also. Picked up 3 med-large traps from Amazon. Tangs are usually easy to catch if you need to reintroduce cause they're aggressive eaters so the traps are useful later.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an amazing selection! I definitely prefer the Koi over the Gem. I saw a huge Black at the lfs. Looked awesome!

OP
OP
jkentfite

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an amazing selection! I definitely prefer the Koi over the Gem. I saw a huge Black at the lfs. Looked awesome!
Thanks!

I am for sure getting the black longnose, gem, white tail, and hippo. (Also 5 small yellow tangs)... Deciding between 1 or 2 koi.
I realize I wasn’t very clear on that.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You'll definitely want to add together as they are mostly Zebrasoma. I believe they're schooling fish and do better in bigger groups. Spread out aggression. Hope you post an update. Sounds interesting

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two, the yellow is a xanthic scopas. :)
Excuse the glass.

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got a tomini and blonde naso. I've got another purple and a fowleri in my 140gal but they're smaller. I'll move the fowleri to the 300 as it's growing pretty fast and bumping in to my torches all the time.

20201106_044831.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding that many tangs at once then it's unlikely that an extra scopas will cause any problems tbh. You may get a period where they assert themselves and work out a hierarchy but by introducing them to a decent sized tank in good numbers will help minimise any aggression. It may perhaps be easier to have all different sizes or species but I'd be hopeful it would work for you.

OP
OP
jkentfite

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two, the yellow is a xanthic scopas. :)
Excuse the glass.

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

Gorgeous. Looks like you've had plenty of success with them. Thats good to hear!

I've also got a tomini and blonde naso. I've got another purple and a fowleri in my 140gal but they're smaller. I'll move the fowleri to the 300 as it's growing pretty fast and bumping in to my torches all the time.

20201106_044831.jpg

Beauties! I'm thinking of getting a blond naso in the future as well. I hear they're so personable, like a dog lol.

If you are adding that many tangs at once then it's unlikely that an extra scopas will cause any problems tbh. You may get a period where they assert themselves and work out a hierarchy but by introducing them to a decent sized tank in good numbers will help minimise any aggression. It may perhaps be easier to have all different sizes or species but I'd be hopeful it would work for you.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. I'm excited!

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool! In the light, it's cool to see the transparent coloration in the koi scopas fins. My favorite fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back