Mushroom problems

Reefing_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have this random mushroom I bought as a starter coral and it has not been doing well recently. It has been shriveled up even though I have a ricordia right next to it that is loving life! Here’s a picture of something strange I saw when I tried to target feed it yesterday, it looks like white loops inside of the shriveled up part but I don’t know what that means, has anybody dealt with this before and can give me some insight?
Thanks in advance to all of you!

697BE700-CF65-4CDE-91D4-41C4E84F366F.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats the mushrooms filaments coming out, not usually a good sign.

You mentioned it is a starter coral..

What are your parameters?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all mushrooms are equal. Generally Actinodiscus mushrooms prefer lower light than Ricordia or Rhodactis. I hate to play musical chairs with an animal as it constantly makes it adjust it's photobiology but if t's been in that location for awhile try moving it to a lower light level. You're phosphate level is low also and long term that may be an issue. The threads are
mesenterial threads and are part of the animals digestive system. Seeing them isn't a good thing as it's obviously annoyed about something but it's not something I would worry about since it could be just upset a hermit walked across it.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms (and most corals, especially soft) like some nutrients in the water. If your phosphates are truly zero, that could be part of the problem.

I'd agree with trying to lower the amount of light it gets, as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back