My 400 Gallon tank

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely gorgeous, I was sad when the music stopped. Your vlamingi tang is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that

OP
OP
S

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely gorgeous, I was sad when the music stopped. Your vlamingi tang is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that
Hey thanks for liking the music. Yes the Vlamingi Tang is great but I worry that even a tank this size is really too small for him. He is a great fish though, a lot of character and all good.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this thread now. Amazing system. Can you post some more details, like lighting, flow, filtration, dosing, maintenance routine, fish list, the secret to containing GSP.

OP
OP
S

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this thread now. Amazing system. Can you post some more details, like lighting, flow, filtration, dosing, maintenance routine, fish list, the secret to containing GSP.
I will make a video of my filter system. Unfortunately, it is pretty basic. I have a refugium which is rather large, 100 gallons, and that is it, the lights over the refugium run counter the main tank, in an effort to stabilize PH.

I have EcoTechMarine Radion Pros lighting over the tank, 6 of them. I also have 4 EcoTech Marine Vortech MP60 2 on each side of the tank. Each MP 60 is flowing random.

I dose Bulk Reef Supply Calcium Chloride, with Sodium Bi Carbonate along with Tropic Marin Balling Component C to replace Trace Elements associated with Dosing. In addition I dose Tropic Marin A- and K+ to replace the Trace Elements consumed by the Corals. I run Quarterly ICP tests by ATI and will replace the trace elements as needed.

Maintenance is pretty basic, I wipe the Algae off the front of the tank. The goal is to get the tank to basically run itself by having an ecosystem.

In the first Five years I would do a 10% water change every week religiously but felt that it was more stable to switch to dosing to keep things more consistent and do a better job of replacing trace elements. I no longer do water changes going on 4 years now.

I think it is important to have a very mature tank before stopping doing water changes but to me I don't think they are needed in a mature tank, keep in mind I do ICP tests quarterly to keep a somewhat close eye on parameters.

As far as Green Star Polyp, I don't think there is a way to keep it in control especially in such a large tank. It is nice in that it covers the back wall and gives a wavy motion to the tank but it is also a nuisance which now has to be battled as it encroaches into areas I don't want it to be. We will see, hopefully it won't eventually cause me to re do the tank in an effort to get it completely out of the tank. I do like it while at the same time wouldn't recommend it unless you have a smaller tank where you can easily remove it. My tank is 3 feet deep so it is not so easy.

Sorry for the long response.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back