OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will keep that in mind. Right now running more for algae but can slow pump down when I add new fish. Not sure what the pump should be at!
Good question. Always depends on the setup. I went oversized to work with the exposure time and that I wanted all the water to be treated.

I was using a smaller 40w with sump return and it just wasn't cutting it (heavy stocking doesn't help either). Went next size up and things are going swimmingly now.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, picked up some coral this morning. Going round two with the gorgonians and grabbed a Duncan, a single head torch, a colt softie and going to try sea lettuce as refugium item.

Yeah, yeah, I need to mount the rest of that stuff, but I want to cut off some of the zoa's as they grow off the coral plugs.

PXL_20220929_180119252.jpg
PXL_20220929_180139272.jpg

BaraCats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are opening nicely and the colt decided to make a appearance! Still on the hunt for softies! I'm about ready to place the green Kenya!

Open Gorgs!
PXL_20221001_175317066.jpg

Open Colt
PXL_20221001_203626602.jpg
Looking incredible. Once they are all big, they're going to look fantastic. I feel like softies are everywhere until you start needing some! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking incredible. Once they are all big, they're going to look fantastic. I feel like softies are everywhere until you start needing some! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I had a ton back in my fowlr days as nothing would eat them, lol. Now I'm hunting for them, they are as elusive as all get out!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ultimate test is 48 hours in, will be heading to the Caribbean today and won't be back until next Tuesday. Currently seeing friends in Houston since Thursday. Running both tanks off of a apex, with prolly no human interaction for 13-14 days. Usually my dad would stop in around day 7 just to check on livestock and toss in frozen, but he's out 4 wheeling in Colorado until the 20th or so. Thus the tank will truly be on its own.

Fingers crossed!
You have some Serious trust in those devices. I'm happy to see it worked out well for you.
I had a bout of flukes as you saw in this thread majorly wipe out a ton of stock and that fish came from a 'qt' source (not forum related). So it just confirmed my thoughts of forget it when it comes to qt. I just feed well and run a large 57w UV, 24/7 through my return plumbing.
Have you ever met flukes nasty older cousin twice removed velvet? Flukes are easy to treat in tank, must of the time. Some others arent so.

Where about are you located? I'm in Simi Valley.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some Serious trust in those devices. I'm happy to see it worked out well for you.

Have you ever met flukes nasty older cousin twice removed velvet? Flukes are easy to treat in tank, must of the time. Some others arent so.

Where about are you located? I'm in Simi Valley.
Eh, I travel a bit for work, so I have to trust in the automation to a point. Usually I have a sitter make a appearance, but my sitter was traveling and I had a backup option in place if I saw something I didn't like on the cams. I'm on the road up to a few weeks at a time for work, so it's believe in automation or tank breakdown.

I only do the ATO on automation, no awc (not set up for it), no dosing (when I travel). Just a larger wc (25g) and fill the auto feeder. I Use the apex to monitor what's on/off. 14 days is about the max I go without intervention as the limiting factor is ATO water.

I met flukes ugly bastardo cousin velvet 5-6 years ago when I had my 30g waterbox. Wiped out all of my stock. Flukes treatment was a mixed bag for me. I got rid of the flukes, but it caused a heck of a lot of issues running heavy stocking with no skimmer for 3 weeks (back to back prazi treatments).

We are on the other side of the world to be in LA metro, I'm in the Long Beach area.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I travel a bit for work, so I have to trust in the automation to a point. Usually I have a sitter make a appearance, but my sitter was traveling and I had a backup option in place if I saw something I didn't like on the cams. I'm on the road up to a few weeks at a time for work, so it's believe in automation or tank breakdown.

I only do the ATO on automation, no awc (not set up for it), no dosing (when I travel). Just a larger wc (25g) and fill the auto feeder. I Use the apex to monitor what's on/off. 14 days is about the max I go without intervention as the limiting factor is ATO water.

I met flukes ugly bastardo cousin velvet 5-6 years ago when I had my 30g waterbox. Wiped out all of my stock. Flukes treatment was a mixed bag for me. I got rid of the flukes, but it caused a heck of a lot of issues running heavy stocking with no skimmer for 3 weeks (back to back prazi treatments).

We are on the other side of the world to be in LA metro, I'm in the Long Beach area.
I was just in your neck of the woods last weekend.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a LONG way from home, lol. I wish I could say I was in Simi, but I never get there. Got fam that live near CSUN and that's as far as I drive up the 405 anymore (unless I got a reason).
I feel ya for sure. Csun is about 20 minutes from me. I may be hosting another frag swap/bbq in December. Maybe I can get you out on this side of LAX for that. A good time was had by all.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya for sure. Csun is about 20 minutes from me. I may be hosting another frag swap/bbq in December. Maybe I can get you out on this side of LAX for that. A good time was had by all.
I always like bbq's and a chance to meet some fellow reefers I'm down with. The frag swap angle, all I'd have by then would be some zoa's and softies, but I'm always willing to pay.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like bbq's and a chance to meet some fellow reefers I'm down with. The frag swap angle, all I'd have by then would be some zoa's and softies, but I'm always willing to pay.
It was mostly a BBQ to meet, hang out with and bs with local reefers.
The frag swap was a huge success with some bringing a lot, some a little and everyone taking home a Lot. Nothing has cash value. It was in the spirit of fun and camaraderie. Not trying to come up.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mostly a BBQ to meet, hang out with and bs with local reefers.
The frag swap was a huge success with some bringing a lot, some a little and everyone taking home a Lot. Nothing has cash value. It was in the spirit of fun and camaraderie. Not trying to come up.
Well back channel me into this. Long as I have some notice, I can make it happen. I work weekends when I'm not on the road so I have to do some juggling for work coverage.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report besides Skunks doing what they do!

PXL_20221014_180705444.MP.jpg

Also got a bit of cyano & pineapple sponges galore! Realized my RODI filters were past the 6 month mark, so thinking the water I was making is a bit dirty.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report, I'm hoping the Lamarck's angelfish will eradicate (or at least help) the sponge problem, so he's moved in with the big boys from the 50 gal. Also did a reef cleaners order, not bad... but meh, overall. Specimens are majorly on the small side. Upside was that, it was a good deal on the emerald crabs. I think I'll stick to my LFS for that stuff next time. Angel is doing well, some light posturing from the Purple Tang, the rest can care less.

The angel is getting used to it's new digs!
PXL_20221027_163658427.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update: lost the Lamarck's... Totally went on a hunger strike and was gone in a week. Tank may of been too busy for it, it would eat but was timid due to the tangs going crazy @ feeding time.

Finally gave in to aiptasia... Got tired of squirting Aiptasia X constantly, so went with a filefish! Since I have it in both tanks, it was worth the 20 bucks. Then it will be banished to the sump or back to the LFS.

PXL_20221110_161249414.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back