My 4x2x2 120 Gal Build

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to upgrade from my 50 gal cube back in March 2021. I was limited by footprint, but I decided to take the plunge. Years ago I had a 5'x2'x2' Fowler, but life happened and it took a decade to get there again. So the 120 gal happened and here I am today!

Specs:
4x2x2 Visio rimmed tank, 3/8 glass & euro brace at top, corner overflow.
Custom 9" canopy & 33" high stand.
Trigger Ruby20C sump
Jebao DCP 3500 return pump
Jebao DCP 2500 manifold pump (backup return)
Jebao SCP 70 Gyre
2x Nero 5's
36w Aquatop UV
Aquamaxx FC-120 skimmer
Bubble Magus filter roller
Apex classic w/ 2 EB8's, BOB, PM2 & auto feeder
2x Nicrew 150w Hyper Reef LED's
500w total heating (one 300w and a 200w backup)
120lb of rock & 80 pounds of Fiji pink sand

20210528_122443_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stocking as of Oct 2021:
Foxface Lo
Scopas Tang
BiColor Angel
Mated pair of Tomato Clowns
Trio of Blue/Green Chromis
Trio of Yellow tail Damsels
Striped Blenny
Alage Blenny
Long Nose Hawkfish
Falco Hawkfish
Cleaner wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Six Line wrasse
Mandarin Goby

A Lot of zebra turbo snails, hermit crabs, 2x emerald crabs and 2x conch snails

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I'm going to be upgrading to a120g at the end of the month and love getting aquascaping ideas from others. Next week I'm going to be reinforcing my floor where the aquarium is going. Then hopefully I'll be bringing it home the following week. Starting to worry about how I'm going to get it home. Don't think my wife or 15yr old twin boys will be strong enough to carry it.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I'm going to be upgrading to a120g at the end of the month and love getting aquascaping ideas from others. Next week I'm going to be reinforcing my floor where the aquarium is going. Then hopefully I'll be bringing it home the following week. Starting to worry about how I'm going to get it home. Don't think my wife or 15yr old twin boys will be strong enough to carry it.
I was lucky that my place sits on a slab, so under the flooring is all concrete. Yourself and one other person should be able to do it (unless that glass is crazy heavy). Mine is a generic Visio tank, w/ the overflow added so nothing special, two of us wrestled it through the front door without much issue.

Best tip is know where it's going to go stand wise before you move anything, lol and be aware of outlet placement and overall sump access. I can luckily get my sump through the front doors if necessary.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky that my place sits on a slab, so under the flooring is all concrete. Yourself and one other person should be able to do it (unless that glass is crazy heavy). Mine is a generic Visio tank, w/ the overflow added so nothing special, two of us wrestled it through the front door without much issue.

Best tip is know where it's going to go stand wise before you move anything, lol and be aware of outlet placement and overall sump access. I can luckily get my sump through the front doors if necessary.

Couldn't tell you what mine is, generic like yours. Getting it used from my LFS. Good to know it only took two of you. Might try and move it with my wife and kids. My one 15yr old is fairly strong, he might be able to help me himself. It's not going far, just into our dining room.

65412505091__96C6CD18-E66B-4A22-8A1C-2CB30477CFEE.jpg

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update, tank nearly runs itself! Upgraded to a higher quality uv AquaUv 40w, went to a single pump (Jebao DCP 5000), replumbed for a manifold to feed reactor and uv. I lost one of my chromis, he was the runt and last of my restart fish back in 2017 ( the other two come from a 10 year old tank a friend runs). Lost a blue damsel also (meh). Added a Splendid Pintail Fairy wrasse, for some color. Coralline is growing nicely, and I added a few zoa colonies recently. I did also add this fatso to the family recently, got him from a coworker as it outgrew his 60 cube. We shall see how long he last before I rehome him. Say howdy to a scardy cat PBT (brown). He is already approx 5" so hopefully the growth will slow if not stop. No pacing, no weird behavior, just assertive with feeding, the Rabbitfishes are battle royaling with him over food.

Thinking some more softies and something to grow on the overflow.
20211201_102547_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

VetReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update, tank nearly runs itself! Upgraded to a higher quality uv AquaUv 40w, went to a single pump (Jebao DCP 5000), replumbed for a manifold to feed reactor and uv. I lost one of my chromis, he was the runt and last of my restart fish back in 2017 ( the other two come from a 10 year old tank a friend runs). Lost a blue damsel also (meh). Added a Splendid Pintail Fairy wrasse, for some color. Coralline is growing nicely, and I added a few zoa colonies recently. I did also add this fatso to the family recently, got him from a coworker as it outgrew his 60 cube. We shall see how long he last before I rehome him. Say howdy to a scardy cat PBT (brown). He is already approx 5" so hopefully the growth will slow if not stop. No pacing, no weird behavior, just assertive with feeding, the Rabbitfishes are battle royaling with him over food.

Thinking some more softies and something to grow on the overflow.
20211201_102547_HDR~2.jpg
See this rock looks great

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update, tank is running like a champ. Stocking has slightly changed.

Current stock Jan 2022:
Foxface Lo
Gold Spot Rabbitfish
BiColor Angel
Powder Brown Tang
Scopas Tang
Long Nose Hawkfish
Falco Hawkfish
Pair Blue/Green Chromis
Pair of Tomato Clowns
Cleaner Wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Pair of Yellowtail Damsels
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Mandarin Goby
Striped Blenny
Alage Blenny
20220103_101141.jpg

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: things went to craps a week after that last picture was taken.

I purchased a leopard wrasse through my qt'ed local vendor/importer (hes not a lfs, a literal pacific rim importer) and it unfortunately had flukes survive the 30 days of qt. In the end, due to treating with prazi in the display 3x overall, I lost over 75% of my stock, both anemones (Condy & RBTA) and most of my zoas due to the massive gha outbreak that went hand in hand with leaving the skimmer shut down for 21 days.

As of now I'm in the process of slowly restocking again, coral and fish.

Current stocking list:
Foxface Lo
Gold Spot Rabbitfish
BiColor Angel
Powder Brown Tang

Scopas Tang
Long Nose Hawkfish
Falco Hawkfish
Pair Blue/Green Chromis
Pair of Tomato Clowns
Cleaner Wrasse

Melanarus wrasse
Pair of Yellowtail Damsels
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Mandarin Goby
Striped Blenny
Alage Blenny

The Gold spot rabbit was on death's door, pretty much blind from the flukes. It bounced back over the past month in a 10g hospital tank. The wrasse were indifferent and so were the hawkfishes.

Since then Ive added a few more in the past month:
Bicolor Foxface
Blue Throat fairy wrasse
Pencil wrasse
Transitioned Coris wrasse

Thats about it. Also did a softies coral order, got a toadstool, yuma, and some xenia to place on a island. Also, I went bananas and converted to t5's and light bars. No more led's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly better shot of the t5/led hybrid. It started out as a 4 bulb 'grow' light and two of the popbloom aliexpress 460nm 4ft strips. Entire investment with bulbs came in right at 320 bucks.

T5 bulb wise its one 460 blue, 10k white, 460 blue and 420 blue. Led supplements are 460 blue. I dont have any Lps or Sps, mainly softies and zoas.
20220331_122904_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real update to report, just additional stocking of fish.

Current stocking as of May 2021: Asterix denotes pre flukes fish.

Goldspot Rabbitfish*
Bicolor Foxface Lo
Tomini Tang
Scopas Tang*
Sailfin Tang
Elibi Angel
Falco Hawkfish*
Long Nose Hawkfish*
Pair of Skunk Clowns
Christmas wrasse
Pencil Wrasse
Dragon Wrasse
Blue throat wrasse
Melanurus wrasse *
Timor Wrasse
Coris wrasse
Lubbock's wrasse
Whipfin fairy wrasse

Aaaaannnnddddd were back to being stocked, lol.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as I cant just sit around and watch coral grow... I changed the t5 setup slightly. Went to parabolic reflectors from the grow light fixture and added an additional led strip light. After photo I still need to clean up some wiring but its swapped and it works!

Before
20220601_141814.jpg

After
20220602_001305.jpg

20220602_005154.jpg

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, decided to do some stocking changes. Came across a trio of zebrasoma tangs and had to do it. Two yellow and a purple. Added them in and had to unfortunately pull the long time resident Scopas tang as he lost his mind due to the new additions. Also gave up the Gold Spot rabbitfish due to just being too big and skittish.

20220609_121240_HDR.jpg

Current stocking as of June 2022:
Bicolor Foxface Lo
2x Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Falco Hawkfish
Long Nose Hawkfish
Pair of Skunk Clowns
Christmas wrasse
Pencil Wrasse
Blue throat wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Timor Wrasse
Coris wrasse
Lubbock's wrasse
Whipfin fairy wrasse
Lyretail Anthias
Dispar Anthias

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, decided to do some stocking changes. Came across a trio of zebrasoma tangs and had to do it. Two yellow and a purple. Added them in and had to unfortunately pull the long time resident Scopas tang as he lost his mind due to the new additions. Also gave up the Gold Spot rabbitfish due to just being too big and skittish.

20220609_121240_HDR.jpg

Current stocking as of June 2022:
Bicolor Foxface Lo
2x Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Falco Hawkfish
Long Nose Hawkfish
Pair of Skunk Clowns
Christmas wrasse
Pencil Wrasse
Blue throat wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Timor Wrasse
Coris wrasse
Lubbock's wrasse
Whipfin fairy wrasse
Lyretail Anthias
Dispar Anthias
They look beautiful, do you plan on getting another rabbit or foxface out of curiosity?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back