My 4x2x2 120 Gal Build

More tank breakdown progress. I dragged in the 50g tank, hope it will have water tonite.

20220712_160118.jpg
 
We have test water!

Bulkheads: check
glued sch 40 fittings: check
Ratty AC return pump: check

I have a ancient apex jr, so gonna get it out to run the heater, pump and ittle bittle skimmer, lol.

P.S. the cost of sch 40 pvc has nearly doubled, in the past 18 months, insaneo.

20220712_224506.jpg


937474848495 different people have owned, borrowed, used this tank over the past 10 years now. Its a early SC Aquariums 50g cube. I've had it for just over 5 years now. Bought it used from a friend which said friend bought it from someone else. Its been a heck of a qt tank, emergency tank, display tank, and everything in between. Another go around for the old girl.
 
Well spent my thursday going from....

This:
20220709_124321_HDR.jpg


To this:
20220714_191756_HDR.jpg


And now everyone is squeezed into these:
20220714_191803_HDR.jpg

20220714_191813_HDR.jpg


It has been a LONG day!
Those tanks look stunning, hopefully it won’t be TOO long until you have the big tank running again.
 
Those tanks look stunning, hopefully it won’t be TOO long until you have the big tank running again.
Going to put a deposit on a replacement 120g next week. Biggest difference will be a external overflow this time around.
 
Everyone has officially made an appearance including all sand dwellers. The coris wrasse was the last and hard catch and it was gasping a bit when I got it out the sand. It finally made a appearance and ate some frozen today.

Also my tank light for the wrasse tank arrived yesterday (amazon 2 day shipping my a$z).

Im pretty firm on the 120g, got a bug in my head on a 150g tall since its the same footprint. Havent decided yet, lol.

My big problem is that I forgot how good low iron glass looks, I may go broke with it on the new tank. The cube is low iron btw.

20220716_115910_HDR.jpg
20220716_115921.jpg
 
That's a really rough turn of events to say the least!
Iirc Visio tanks usually have something like a 5 year defect warranty? The LFS that sold the tank to you should be able to help you with that fairly easily since there's no way that seam should be like that after that short of a time period.
 
That's a really rough turn of events to say the least!
Iirc Visio tanks usually have something like a 5 year defect warranty? The LFS that sold the tank to you should be able to help you with that fairly easily since there's no way that seam should be like that after that short of a time period.
Never thought to contact Visio, but I just shot them off an email. My LFS is more than willing to sell me another tank, but I never thought to explore a warranty. The leak in the neighbors place was a godsend as that seam was gonna let go at some point.
 
Assuming you're using a stand made by them and have a proof of purchase somewhere like receipt/invoice the process should be as simple as having the lfs drop off the tank to them/you dropping off the tank at their facility in gardena and you'll have it fixed up or replaced in 1-8 weeks depending on how busy they are.
It's a shame that the lfs didn't bring up the warranty unless they forgot or something if we give them the benefit of the doubt.
 
Assuming you're using a stand made by them and have a proof of purchase somewhere like receipt/invoice the process should be as simple as having the lfs drop off the tank to them/you dropping off the tank at their facility in gardena and you'll have it fixed up or replaced in 1-8 weeks depending on how busy they are.
It's a shame that the lfs didn't bring up the warranty unless they forgot or something if we give them the benefit of the doubt.
I still have my hand written receipt from the LFS I believe (I hope). Will know when I get home from work tonight.

I bought the tank, canopy & stand as a combo from the lfs, so I assume its compatible with the tank.

Upside is that I have a truck to drag it to Gardena, I just hope this can work out with minimal out of pocket. I don't have my hopes terribly up, but its a start.

What sucks is that I showed my guy at the LFS a photo of the seam and he said just in essence slather more silicone on that corner.
 
Yea I wouldn't listen to that advice even if I were paid to as far as "just" putting silicone on it. That's a panel waiting to pop off and the damages 120g can cause is absolutely nothing to laugh considering how much a mere 5g bucket worth of water can cover.

I would suggest if able, to check the top of the stand to see if the tank is sitting entirely flat on the stand since that may be the cause of premature seam failure (so you can get that addressed as well by the lfs/advanced aqua tanks if they made the stand/fix it yourself)

Assuming it's not covered under warranty due to lack of proof of purchase then you might have to ask your lfs to call them and see what the repair cost will be since they most likely won't quote you directly. Ultimately should be a lot cheaper than buying an entirely new tank though assuming you didn't want a reason to buy something larger!

PS: If your lfs really likes you they should have records of your tank order on an invoice since your tank is technically custom due to the euro bracing + overflow (assuming they do decent record keeping) which would technically help as far as date of purchase is concerned.
 
I had a seal fail years ago on a custom 160ish gal Lee-Mar so I know what water damage can and will do. It made me go acrylic for a few years. I know better to reuse that tank @ this point, you couldn't pay me to 'just slather silicone on it'.

I asked about having it resealed, it was kinda a meh answer (is it worth it). I was quoted 300$ for a 120g with no options just a tank. I'm still considering it as I want to go external overflow this time around. It will cost me 20$ a hole for to have the holes drilled for the drains/returns. Im kinda willing to do the drilling myself, scared about if it goes bad.

The stand checked good when I brought it in. My condo's floor isn't level as the concrete slab has the slightest angle at that point of the living room. Had a heck of a time leveling the tank but it worked out in the end. Needed to shim 1/16 to 3/32'nds on oneside.

Lol @ the LFS and record keeping, they arent fancy at all. Total father/son operation and they are tiny to boot. Ill know in a hour or so if I have the receipt. I consider I have a decent relationship with them so I don't want it to go sour. That is the upside of being in Long Beach, plenty of stores to go around.
 
It isn't the stand being level but the top where the tank rest on that I was more concerned with.

Since it will be the manufacture doing a full resealing, I feel like something like that is worth it unless you really hate your corner overflow/tank design. In addition to that while 20 bucks a hole seems a bit high, having them do it vs breaking another tank would be worth the small fee for peace of mind.
 
It isn't the stand being level but the top where the tank rest on that I was more concerned with.

Since it will be the manufacture doing a full resealing, I feel like something like that is worth it unless you really hate your corner overflow/tank design. In addition to that while 20 bucks a hole seems a bit high, having them do it vs breaking another tank would be worth the small fee for peace of mind.
I checked the top surface of the stand with a 12" level across the full 48" inches after leveling the stand before placing the tank. Checked again after placing the tank. Checked with a full tank (with and without canopy) it was level.
 
I checked the top surface of the stand with a 12" level across the full 48" inches after leveling the stand before placing the tank. Checked again after placing the tank. Checked with a full tank (with and without canopy) it was level.
What I'm trying to say is that it could be level in general but the top surface that the tank sits on may not be entirely flush which would result in a small hard to notice gap.
That slip should work, just need to wait for the weekday for someone at advanced aqua tanks to respond regarding warranty/repair options.
 
What I'm trying to say is that it could be level in general but the top surface that the tank sits on may not be entirely flush which would result in a small hard to notice gap.
That slip should work, just need to wait for the weekday for someone at advanced aqua tanks to respond regarding warranty/repair options.
I'm aware of what your saying and I'm telling you it isn't that. I checked like hell for it at install, due to having to level the stand in the first place. Couldn't slide paper through any cracks between the lower rim and the 1" plywood surface, because there was no cracks to be seen.

The craptacular job of the cabinet doors not being shaved properly when hung... That's another story.

Lets be real, the mass produced wooden stands have never been a pillar of high quality, lol. I've done a few larger tanks (100+g) so making sure my laminate floors don't become a raging torrent has ALWAYS been a concern. Unfortunately 50 year old copper piping did that for me (in this case).
 
Best of luck with getting a replacement tank. Definitely a blessing in disguise and I hope you can get the new tank sorted fairly quickly.
Thanks, its some 'possible' light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not holding my breath, but its something to pursue.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new