My 55 Gal Work in progress :)

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I started this hobby about 2 months ago when I traded a macaw for my 55 gal tank. When I got it, it was set up as a Fish only tank. It had maybe an inch to an inch and a half of crushed coral and maybe 10 or so pounds of rock that wasn't live. I had some decorations she gave me in the tank but just to add some color. This is what my tank first looked like....
Fishtankbefore_zps41e4544c.jpg

After I got the tank I found someone who had probably about 10-20 pounds of rock and a half of a 5 gallon bucket of sand for 25 bucks off of CL.

IMAG0705.jpg

Then I found another add on CL for 70-80lb of live sand and 75lbs of instant ocean for FREE! I added probably about another 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket.

IMAG0944.jpg

Last week I finally found a really good deal on live rock and bought close to 60lbs for 100 bucks. Finally It's starting to come together!

IMAG0954-1.jpg

Then as of this last weekend, I installed a rapids pro wet/dry compact sump with a built in protein skimmer and an auto fill box, with a 36'' marineland LED light that I plan to upgrade, it just came with the sump. Once again off of CL :) This is what my tank finally looks like now....

IMAG0997.jpg

As for Livestock I have 3 chromis, 3 damsels (1 striped, 1 yellow, 1 domino) two saddleback clownfish,a sixline wrasse, a firefish goby, a snaffin tang, 2 emerald crabs,one arrow crab, a cleaner shrimp, a long tentacle anemone and a condylectous anemone as well as a choc chip star fish.

IMAG1004.jpg

IMAG1001.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

IMAG0908.jpg

IMAG0935.jpg

IMAG0796.jpg

IMAG0803.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG1032.jpg

IMAG1030.jpg

This is the RO system and water holding tank we set up in our second bathroom we never use.
IMAG0866.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thank you :)

Erock732

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand bed is a little deep for my taste might run into some issues there. choco chip is a no no if you want to keep corals he will eat them. keep an eye on the condy they can get quite large very fast.
other then that pretty good start.

OP
OP
L

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of issues are caused from a deep sand bed? I know i'll need to get rid of nestle soon (cc star) but until I get better lighting I cant get any corals or they'll die. As far as the condy, why are they known for being so "bad"? I've just heard very neg things about them, but it's made friends with my domino damsel (domino uses him for protection) and he swims all around its tenticles. I havent seen him going into the anemone, but he'll go under it, on the side of it and he's def been touched by her on many occasions. She also doesnt bother my crabs or shrimp so im just curious why they have such a bad rep?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually take back the condy. Looks like you also have a really, really really bleached out bubble tip that you might want to take back where you got it. The chances of it recovering are low in pristine conditions, and if you're just starting out... well, you know. The lighting you have right now cannot support anemones, either. Frankly, you might be able to grow zoas and mushrooms at the top of your tank.

Chocolate chip stars eat coral, and that sailfin tang is already too big for a 55g.

Definitely get rid of most of that sand - you're better off keeping a thin layer, maybe 1" or so, will be much easier on you down the road.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of issues are caused from a deep sand bed?
It will become a 'nutrient sink' without microfauna to take care of it (which our tanks cannot sustain long-term).

I know i'll need to get rid of nestle soon (cc star) but until I get better lighting I cant get any corals or they'll die.
But you have two anemones?

As far as the condy, why are they known for being so "bad"? I've just heard very neg things about them, but it's made friends with my domino damsel (domino uses him for protection) and he swims all around its tenticles. I havent seen him going into the anemone, but he'll go under it, on the side of it and he's def been touched by her on many occasions.
Condylactis anemones do not host fish, only certain invertebrates. If you have a fish that isn't smart enough not to try and be hosted by it, it will eventually be eaten by the anemone.

She also doesnt bother my crabs or shrimp so im just curious why they have such a bad rep?
They are aggressive fish towards more peaceful fish, especially as they get older.

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the deep sand bed, do some research on the wet/dry. no one really runs those anymore as they are detritus traps. I have run a DSP in my converted wet/dry in the past, which gave me the ability to stop the system and clean it out before the "bomb went off" Once my new system is mature (4 days old), I will run a 1' sandbed for aesthetics.

OP
OP
L

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the two anemone's, i got the condy when i first got my tank and the people at freaking petco told me that a bulb for my reg hood would work. I bought the bulb and made sure she was right under it. As for the long tentacle, I got him this last weekend when I got my light/sump from someone on CL. He broke down the sump/filter system (i was unaware) to sell it to me. He had a puffer, another LTA and a hogfish and my LTA, i felt HORRIBLE that they were all going to die in stagnant non moving water so I took the LTA with what little money I had and brought him home. I'm now trying to feed him a bit better and like i said, im looking into getting better lighting.

As for the snaffin, she came with my tank when i got it and as of right now she's no bigger than 3 inches at most so until she gets too big she'll be living in my tank.

And with the deep sand bed, My buddy has a tank and told me that it's better with a deep bed because the nitrates turn into nitrogen and the sand helps fliter the bad so this is why i've done this, I do have worms growing but as of yet (2 months in) I haven't seen any nitrogen bubbles.

Thank you jtomasi and jedimaterben though! I appreciate your options and your help!

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSBs have worked great for a many people (NYSteelo on youtube has a good video on them). I am in the camp that believes they do have value (as you mentioned), you just have to weigh it's value to the potential issues, ie. "dead" spots and nutrient release. For me, with my new build and the amount of $ I have spent, its not worth the risk. When I had FO/softies, it was great...as with most topics in reefkeeping, if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different opinions.

OP
OP
L

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on the opionions!!! Every person says something diff and its hard trying to figure out who to listen to! Sigh. Why cant there be a saltwater book for dummies? (im sure there prob is LOL) but it'd be nice to just have a cut clear answer. :)

OP
OP
L

Lindsey1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've added some better lighting for my tank now (2x 150w MH and 2X 54wt5 actinic) and im so excited because other than my nitrates, Im set for corals! WOOHOO!!! That's a ton of upgrading and new equipment! Anyways, this is what my fixture looked earlier today when i got it

IMAG1057.jpg

IMAG1056.jpg

and now we have it sanded, painted it....
IMAG1059.jpg

and finally it's now hung and looking beautiful!!!
IMAG1061.jpg

IMAG1062.jpg

Also, I forgot to add a pic of my sump system and autofill so this is an update pic for that :) (still before lighting was put in)
IMAG1058.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back