Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the post was an accident

:confused:
Nope no accident at all. I've been very busy with my son and I had a whole lot of freshwater plants and fish I've been giving away or selling and am consolidating so I can go back to saltwater. I literally had a room with its own climate control,for my breeding tanks and have been thinking for a while about stopping. Time consuming, single full time parent and it it too time,consuming. So when I acquired these clownfish, it was what made me decide to go ahead and let it go (freshwater I mean) so I'm converting some of my equipment-basically cleaning it well- over so I have just one tank and a sump. I need to simplify. Fish are doing great the water drip suggestion I had not thought about bit it made all the difference in the world. They are eating good now tank is gonna come together today. But they were sick when I got them so I'm really thinking I should still hold off on the transfer for a few days, but then the larger tank is more stable with better equipment, filtration, water flow, aeration, heating so I'm in a delima

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope no accident at all. I've been very busy with my son and I had a whole lot of freshwater plants and fish I've been giving away or selling and am consolidating so I can go back to saltwater. I literally had a room with its own climate control,for my breeding tanks and have been thinking for a while about stopping. Time consuming, single full time parent and it it too time,consuming. So when I acquired these clownfish, it was what made me decide to go ahead and let it go (freshwater I mean) so I'm converting some of my equipment-basically cleaning it well- over so I have just one tank and a sump. I need to simplify. Fish are doing great the water drip suggestion I had not thought about bit it made all the difference in the world. They are eating good now tank is gonna come together today. But they were sick when I got them so I'm really thinking I should still hold off on the transfer for a few days, but then the larger tank is more stable with better equipment, filtration, water flow, aeration, heating so I'm in a delima
Sorry about the typos I need a new phone.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater can be time consuming as well. Have fun on your new adventure!
I know exactly all too well what you mean. I have had two ten gal nano pretty much reef only tanks, with the exception of the second two sea dragons. I spent more time correcting mistakes and trying to keep my aquatic life alive than i did enjoy it!
I decided just wasn't gonna down any more money on something I couldn't care for. Well I had been pretty good with freshwater tanks and I just dove into that hobby more. Although for the most part a FW tank is pretty much fish tanks 101.
However I was discouraged at the failure of my first tank so I started to take on more challenging FW fish, that's when I really got into the chemistry of things. So i- being as stubborn as I am- spent a lot of effort then to keep the hardest ones I could find. I remember reading an arctical in a magazine about the difficulty of breeding some FW in captivity, another challenge. Eventually, not w/o my fair share of failure had i started to successfully breed these fish. I got really interested in natural habitats, NATURAL FOOD, REMEDIES, stuff like that. Eventually I gave it a second go with SW and put the shuttle chemistry changes and dangers of them into practice. Paying very close attention to needs, fluctuations, diet, and stuff and I had a nice tank. I moved and didn't want it to die off in the move (Georgia to Colorado) so I sold it.
Discouraged again, after all that time and effort. Anyway, back near Savannah now and started with breeding again. The local fish store here paid pretty good for lace angles and certain discus. About two months ago I go into the store and about half the discus I sold them are floating. "My manager told me if that water wasn't clear as glass in the morning i was out of a job"
So angry. He changed MOST of the water without regard to the parameters I gave him. So I gave my fry to a friend along with my plants.
Very soon ill put up some pictures of the tank coming together from the start I want to get these guys out of the QT tank. But I am excited to start this up. As what i had before looked like a warehouse pretty much. Wasn't fun anymore. My son got tired of going to the LFS, now I found one that deals mostly in marine and he is really exited with marine life. Win win.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a t right now with about 6.8 lbs of cured live rock. I am going to start another nano reef. However I've been using halide for years for the spectrum and heat they provided for live plants. I do not have a proper hood/lights for the ten right now and I want to build one with t5s. Make it stained wood look nice. No major heat issues. I was succesfull with these in my last one but can't remember the spectrum I was using. I used three tubes. The 5 is just because the guy was getting rid of them and its all i could get at the time

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being so small it is cycling fast too already having to watch out for toxic levels of nitrate. Can't swap them over yet and now that they are eating I am noticing almost like another second cycle. Today some ammonia. Followed by immediate water change and Seachem prime. Its the introduction of the food I he love or die off of what didn't make it on the live rock but any suggestions. Can't keep constantly cleaning water for fear of not completely citing the brook

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being so small it is cycling fast too already having to watch out for toxic levels of nitrate. Can't swap them over yet and now that they are eating I am noticing almost like another second cycle. Today some ammonia. Followed by immediate water change and Seachem prime. Its the introduction of the food I he love or die off of what didn't make it on the live rock but any suggestions. Can't keep constantly cleaning water for fear of not completely citing the brook
I hope you read typos

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ten gallon is going to be harder to maintain then a bigger tank. If something goes wrong it will have a greater effect in that small of a tank. I suggest u start with a 40 breeder.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as far as lights LEDs are the way to go. Much more cost effective.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something ill definitely check out. I noticed you said build. I like custom, so I'm assuming there are many options then? Not just a plug and play type deal?

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back