My Accidental Aquarium

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your own LEDs. I don’t have the skill but people have DIYed LEDs. You can also buy Chinese black boxes for about 1/2 the cost of a name brand fixture. Some people like hybrids. The up front cost of LEDs is high but you will never replace a bulb and the control you will have over your light spectrum will be unmatched with any other light.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/hybrid-lighting/led-t5.html

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your own LEDs. I don’t have the skill but people have DIYed LEDs. You can also buy Chinese black boxes for about 1/2 the cost of a name brand fixture. Some people like hybrids. The up front cost of LEDs is high but you will never replace a bulb and the control you will have over your light spectrum will be unmatched with any other light.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/hybrid-lighting/led-t5.html
I work on BMW transmissions. Honestly if it were not for that then I would have no clue how. I really am tired of my job because there is so much wiring troubleshooting. But if I can save money I definitely will try.
The control,aspect of these lights,really sells me. I looked at that site again and these log is beat any I've had. And with out heating the house.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning of my build...
1547669718952-1421299432.jpg

So in going nano I seriously am saving space. Here is the primed, a bit scuffed but finished product of the stand I built for the ten im going to use. With my other tanks I used scrap steel I welded together. Ugly. This is made out of oak and I straddled the legs so that I wouldn't encounter any wobbly legs. It also allowed me to use less material and hold more weight. I'm not happy with the edges so I might route them but really not sure yet. Instead of wood screws I put finished head lag bolts through each leg with lock nuts, two on each leg. Took a bit of measuring to get the angle right with the legs out about 8 degrees but I have it level and its solid. I should have two inches on the front and back and three on each side as is when I center the tank.considering boxing in the bottom and making the doors inset. For now though its getting a few good coats of paint and a tank on top.
I was pretty pleased with the outcome of the stand. (I did cheat and use a machinist handbook to figure the angles) but hey, off to a good start I think.
At least I can focus on other parts of the build and not worry so much about the fish anymore.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY light. Retro NanoCustoms heatsink,2x 11up retro boards from NanoBox Reef with 2 channels- Ch1: 8x Luxeon ES Royal Blue's 4x Luxeon ES Regular Blues,2x SemiLed 400-410nm Violets,1x VioSys 430nm Hyper Violet. Ch2- 4x Luxeon ES Neutral White 4x Luxeon ES Warm White,2x Luxeon ES Cyan,1x Luxeon C Mint all at 700mah.
20181026_183608.jpg

If you go DIY light for a 10g (I'm huge into DIY and just got done building a light) I would do:

-MakersLed 12" Slim heatsink-$32
-MakersLed Basic 2up 2 Channel Dimmer-$20
-Meanwell 700mah LDD Driver(2)-$14-$16
-Meanwell CLG Power Supply-$30-$40

Channel 1:
-8x Luxeon ES ($2.50 ech) or SunPlus Royal Blue's ($2.00 ech)
-2x VioSys 430nm Hyper Violet-$4.00 ech
-2x SemiLed 410-420nm Violets-$4 ech

Channel 2:
-2x Luxeon Neutral Whites ($2.50 ech) or SemiLed Neutral Whites ($1.00 ech) and 2x Luxeon Warm White ($1.00 ech)
-2x SemiLed 400-410nm Violets-$4.00 eah
-2x Luxeon True Blue-$2.75 ech or LedGroupBuy True Blue 2pc-$4.50
-2x LedGroupBuy Cyan 2pc-$5.00 (if you want to fill more of the spectrum).

For about a total of $250ish for shipping (LGB and RapidLed are the most expensive),thermal paste,soldering iron and solder and wire.

Or you can use all SemiLed Royal's and Neutral Whites which are $1.00 instead of Luxeon's,stay with the Semi and VioSys Violets and stay with the LGB reg blue and cyan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should start a build thread
I'm already hooked up with the thermal paste and stuff soldering iron and all that. But the drivers I lack and I like the look of that setup alot.I have a power supply board that I modded and I have used it for powering quiet a few appliances. I am able to safely power two 12V DC appliances at 13.7 volts and one 24V DC supply at 7V. I have added in a usb port for charging but that can go. If I don't draw more current than this it works great. Would this work as a power supply? I absolutely will build my own lighting and any other advice would be appreciated. I'm a huge DIY fan also, if I can i will. And if I don't know how I try to learn, its almost a hobby in itself.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a build thread, just not in the dedicated section

. You are going to love leds. What I have is just a random 165w black box that just got really good reviews on amazon. Eventually I’m going to mod the spectrum so it is more blue but it’s growing everything I throw at it.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a build thread, just not in the dedicated section

. You are going to love leds. What I have is just a random 165w black box that just got really good reviews on amazon. Eventually I’m going to mod the spectrum so it is more blue but it’s growing everything I throw at it.
Where is the dedicated spot?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. BTW, meant to ask how you were going to mod your box and what size tank you had with 165Watts?
I have a 10 gallon. Running blues at 80 percent and whites at 10 percent. I’m going to switch out all white, red, and green for rb and different violets, only keeping a couple 2700k for whites.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon. Running blues at 80 percent and whites at 10 percent. I’m going to switch out all white, red, and green for rb and different violets, only keeping a couple 2700k for whites.
Sounds like a good plan. I was surprised when you said that basic box grew anything you threw in it. Keep us updated!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back