My AEFW journey

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, I have thought about it quite a bit. I was lucky enough to have everything for the setup already. Jay gave me the stand, So I have spent about $30 on plumbing, and that's it. I just recently upgraded my sump and skimmer, so the old sump and skimmer were available. Good timing for a crappy situation.

I have thought to at least keep it up long enough to order one really nice frag pack, and QT them. This will of course depend on if I have any major losses through this. My concern is with my smooth skin acros, that just dont like to be dipped. A. granulosa, Hawkins enchinata etc. I really dont want to have to keep up with a second tank and all the parameters to keep acros, and given that my tank is already limited for space I cant really add that much anyways. So after the 8 weeks process, I will buy a nice frag pack and keep them there for about 4 weeks in the QT, dipping and observing, and then I will call it good. Or at least that's what I'm thinking right now:wink:

Sounds like an experience....not a lot of fun...but an experience just the same. Good luck.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say leave the QT up. i highly doubt ull be done buying sps or new fish lol. params shouldnt be that hard if theres barely to no fish in it.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there fish that will eat them?

Certain wrasses are known to eat them. My tank is full of wrasses, but they obviously arent doing the job. I plan on adding a six line wrasse to the QT, and then just returning it when I'm done.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris. Hate to break it to u but a 6 line won't do too much. At least mine doesn't. Same with my melanarus sadly. I did some dipping tonight in a 5 gallon bucket. Found some big ones. Wow amazing how big they get.

sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk 2

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there isnt really a known predator for AEFW. some are speculated but none are proven. scientist still arnt sure why in the wild AEFW dont grow to plague proportions. i think high current could be involved if its constantly blowing them off. and im sure something eats them or kills them. at least from what all ive read. if you have other info id love to read those articles.

Lindsey im afraid i dont think youll be able to get rid of them if your not QTing in seperate tank and let the AEFW in your DT die off after 4-6weeks of no acros.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through a lot of threads lately, and along the way the wrasses that are mentioned and praised for their ability to keep the number of worms down are six lines, 4 lines, black leopard, melenurus, and yellow coris. By all means I'm not saying that it will definitely help, but I need a fish in the tank for biological filtration, so it might as well be one that is cheap and has a reputation.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all Acros moved over tonight. Start the clock ....now!

photobucket-23847-1354071460373.jpg

photobucket-58555-1354071461298.jpg

photobucket-1526-1354071461773.jpg

photobucket-30984-1354071458984.jpg

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had them they didn't touch my torts or slimer. But I still dipped them but I don't think it's necessary. I never got one worm off of those corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back