OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masstick WARNING!!! Thought I would try feeding my Lobo some masstick because it readily sinks and Im so tired of shutting down all pumps and my sump back filling every time I feed my corals.. I mixed in a little reef roids with the masstick and made up tiny little balls out of the mixture (size of a BB) I dropped two balls onto my lobo and watched it suck them in with it's tentacles. About 30 minutes later I checked on the tank and I had two large 1" holes "burned" into my lobo :mad:;Facepalm There was a also fluorescent green gelatinous substance over and around each hole, when I used turkey baster to blow off the substance a bunch of flesh went with it leaving two large gaping holes in my lobo exposing skeleton :( I'm furious!! you would think anyone manufacturing a product would throughly test it first!! Stuff must be super acidic and I highly recommend not using in a reef tank!

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awful, so sorry to hear that. :(

Thanks man.. couldn't even bring myself to take pictures of it and haven't updated my thread since it happened :( good news is the coral seems resilient and amazingly it's mostly healed over but the super brite neon green centers where damage occurred have lost their color.

FD5A9EFD-8B2B-4CD1-B85E-C0E1B74E29A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has been trying to tell me something for quite a while, finally listening ;) new lighting upgrades on the way..

Arrow is where coral box is, it's leaning like a flower looking for the sun.. lol

6E0FF994-8A29-4BB0-9A36-C7B2B4CE6E99.jpeg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my acans, favia and trachy masstick all the time but I don't mix it with anything besides RODI. I also only feed them small particles left over in my mixing bowl cleaned in the tank water. I have never seen a bad reaction from it and my favia will throw out feeding tentacles after.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my acans, favia and trachy masstick all the time but I don't mix it with anything besides RODI. I also only feed them small particles left over in my mixing bowl cleaned in the tank water. I have never seen a bad reaction from it and my favia will throw out feeding tentacles after.

It 100% without a doubt damaged mine. using the pellet version mixed with a little reef roids, dropped two little balls into lobo and the two spots where I dropped the food is were the damage is.. literally happened in minutes, lobo is over a year old and is/was super healthy.

D1E1A49C-86BB-46DA-B34C-0B4C24D7AD73.jpeg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh that's the premixed stuff. Might be something they used to make it have a long shelf life. I use the powder stuff that they say you have to refrigerate after mixing. Not really sure but it's the only thing I can come up with.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some time but read through your thread, again. It had been awhile and I couldn’t remember where I left off. Looks great Retro! A lot has happened since last I saw. The ATO sticking is something that has always worried me. It’s a good reminder to have fail safes. Love the color in your tank! LPS dominate tanks really are beautiful.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some time but read through your thread, again. It had been awhile and I couldn’t remember where I left off. Looks great Retro! A lot has happened since last I saw. The ATO sticking is something that has always worried me. It’s a good reminder to have fail safes. Love the color in your tank! LPS dominate tanks really are beautiful.

Thank you! And thanks for all the likes, you have way more patience than me ;) the tank is still a work in progress, I have a vision and slowly working towards the goal.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This epic battle has been brewing for a while, stardust palythoa's have been steadily encroaching on the Leptastrea.. the first skirmishes are playing out and it doesn't look good for the paly's ;)

EFE55B38-3D5B-4DCE-8C4C-CB937C062A8F.png

56F30485-A613-4104-9671-4796675D07EE.png

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the lobo, and give my regards to the palys. That lepta is gonna wreck them!

Big tank maintenance and lighting upgrade planned for today.. stay tuned ;)

E5226CB6-57F0-40BC-8911-B9EDE4E2E0FE.png
Vaaaavooooom?

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great retro. Where did you get those acans?

Thank you! And thanks for stopping by my build thread :)

The acans came from salt critters, they were really healthy and super cheap but looks like their prices have went up dramatically since then.

Launch day September 2018

F0A361AB-6594-4C06-9F1B-7AC1EC97BE39.png

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the lobo, and give my regards to the palys. That lepta is gonna wreck them!

Vaaaavooooom?

Thanks man and nice to see you back! You, Simon and Fudsey are the main ones that keep me from feeling like I'm only talking to myself.. lol

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man and nice to see you back! You, Simon and Fudsey are the main ones that keep me from feeling like I'm only talking to myself.. lol
Our sort of "group" havent been on much it seems lately. I find it easy to pass the time going through unanswered threads and talking to myself on purpose. ;Hilarious

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back