My Current QT Process

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is terrible news!

However, to look at the silver linings...this is an example of why this forum is so great. How would anyone have had a clue about this otherwise, you know?

Chrisb1971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6EE052E1-A1B8-4DA8-BE45-5E7D2FB1A6C6.jpeg
F73B86A3-B546-44A9-AFAF-162591351AC5.jpeg
0632BDB8-BFD1-4A45-A469-FB9BCB55ABBC.jpeg
Help. Ongoing issue affecting some fish even in quarantine.
Firstly lost a few fish 2 months back from DT to what I thought was a bacterial infection - got them out of tank and into quarantine and those that came out seem now ok but any new additions to quarantine struggles within a few days or dies. LFS have tested everything and everything is good. Alk is 8.5 - temp 25deg - salinity 1.008 (hypo) no corals. They confirm my results. Oxygen reading on Salifert is 8 have big skimmer in, air stone and 2powerheads pointing to surface Ona 100l frag tank shape. Quarantine established a few months.
Now Again running another round af AnTi Biotics (Furan 2, kanaplex, focus, metro) also got neoplex and sulphaplex also adding ginger and garlic to food.
Ordered a Hanna kit so I can be very specific and run copper.
At present the fish effected are

Pink skunk clown (the male -female is fine)
Lost a golden angel within 4 days last week (salinity was 1.016 at the time) didn’t have any lumps but seemed to get a “sheen” on him LFS said he had no slime on him when I took him ( he was still alive and they quarantined him for the last day for me) they took a yellow tang who was starting to show similar but he pulled through...
Gold back is not wrasse not to happy
Solon wrasse not good breathing affected
Was running ozone but have now turned it off

Couple showing white stringy poo but the only visible mark is this on the clown......
Obviously stopped eating.

Any ideas? Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see anything in regards to ammonia levels in the QT.
Also Ive read some people have issues with persistant bacterial infections using an established QT. You may want to start over with a sterile QT and use the filtration as ammonia control vs a cycled QT.
Cant be certain but it could help.
Also why are you running hypo if you have not seen ich in your fish? You may want to bring up the salinity if using medications and copper. Its not recommended to do both.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Quite. It would look like this:
Day 1 of therapeutic copper: Dose GC
Day 3 Dose Metro
Day 5 Dose Metro
Day 7 25% WC then Dose GC
Day 9 Dose Metro

If you aren't weaving in GC just dose metro Days 1,3,5,7,9. So 5 doses = 10 days of treatment.

Does this make more sense?
I am going to try try this. A couple questions:

Reading the Metroplex instructions, it says "1-2 measures per 10 gallons". Are you doing 1 or 2 measures per 10gal?

The above "Day 1 of therapeutic copper", that means the fish have been in the tank a few days during the copper ramp-up time before it reaches 2.0 before dosing GC?

If you weave in the GC, does that mean after the 14 days in copper you do not need to dose GC after transferring them to the sterile tank?

Does any of the above change if I am doing a 20% (2ppm copper) water change 4 hours before each dose?

Chrisb1971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see anything in regards to ammonia levels in the QT.
Also Ive read some people have issues with persistant bacterial infections using an established QT. You may want to start over with a sterile QT and use the filtration as ammonia control vs a cycled QT.
Cant be certain but it could help.
Also why are you running hypo if you have not seen ich in your fish? You may want to bring up the salinity if using medications and copper. Its not recommended to do both.
Ammonia is 0.
Not established Qt set it up when I had outbreak 3 months ago.
Started running hypo as an alternative to all the meds.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0.
Not established Qt set it up when I had outbreak 3 months ago.
Started running hypo as an alternative to all the meds.
I believe hypo is gonna only be good for ich. I would raise salinity back up to 1.018 or a tad higher and treat with trifecta of anti-bacterial meds. Kanaplex, furan2 and metro. Id also start over with a sterelized tank.

Chrisb1971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe hypo is gonna only be good for ich. I would raise salinity back up to 1.018 or a tad higher and treat with trifecta of anti-bacterial meds. Kanaplex, furan2 and metro. Id also start over with a sterelized tank.
Cheers. Do you think it’s bacterial? Just lost 3 wrasses. This Is the second cleaner wrasse that has died...same symptoms inflamed/red anus area with a circle around it on the skin, both sides.. within a day of dying the first cleaner had a hole right through it at the same point.

CP or Copper be of any help if bacterial or is it ABX only

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly sounds like a bacterial infection and in that case copper wouldnt be beneficial. I would honestly try a sterile tank with a seeded HOB filter for ammonia control and treat with antibiotics only in this case.
If the fish isnt showing signs of velvet or ich, id hold off on the copper for now until your current fish get the right treatment.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say is repeatedly reading hot rocks directions while going thru the QT process is a big life saver. Follow closely and you shouldnt have any issues. My first sucessful QT was with 3 pretty sensitive species and they all did great following his instructions and re-reading multiple times throughout.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try try this. A couple questions:

Reading the Metroplex instructions, it says "1-2 measures per 10 gallons". Are you doing 1 or 2 measures per 10gal?

The above "Day 1 of therapeutic copper", that means the fish have been in the tank a few days during the copper ramp-up time before it reaches 2.0 before dosing GC?

If you weave in the GC, does that mean after the 14 days in copper you do not need to dose GC after transferring them to the sterile tank?

Does any of the above change if I am doing a 20% (2ppm copper) water change 4 hours before each dose?

Re: metroplex

Mine says 1 level measure per 10 g

Don’t know why yours has ‘1-2 measures’

d3becc745b034bdd4e5ed7805a6a94d6.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been answered already, but does ceramic media absorb copper like live rock? If so are filter sponges OK to use?

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my next batch of fish coming in 2 weeks. Need some advice on how to split them up...

Bandit angle 3”
Joculator angel 2 1/2”
Red Sea regal 4”
Hawaiian flame wrasse 3”
Lineatus fairy wrasse 3”
Pintail fairy wrasse 3”

Was thinking of putting the angels in one QT and the wrasses in another? Or would you switch that up?

Ditched the 10 gallon QT and now have 20 gallon long tanks in hopes to help with bacteria blooms and give them more space.

Anything special for these particular species of fish?

Thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back