OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT should last around 30 days, right?
Using this protocol?

Or using TTM?

Usually around 30-35 days for my process as long as everything goes as planned.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HotRocks

Do you know anybody that uses Seachem Matrix in their qt? Im using some that was cycled in my qt hob along with a sponge from my dt sump. I might be getting a bit of copper absorption. I read on here that humble used it and even talk to Seachem about it and they said its inert and wont absorb anything... any input? Ill keep testing daily for now and adding copper if necessary... today i should have been around a 2.2 ppm and instead i was a solid 2.0 ppm. I changed batteries on the hanna and used a fresh cuvette and got the same thing. I dosed a bit more copper so ill retest tomo...

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

Do you know anybody that uses Seachem Matrix in their qt? Im using some that was cycled in my qt hob along with a sponge from my dt sump. I might be getting a bit of copper absorption. I read on here that humble used it and even talk to Seachem about it and they said its inert and wont absorb anything... any input? Ill keep testing daily for now and adding copper if necessary... today i should have been around a 2.2 ppm and instead i was a solid 2.0 ppm. I changed batteries on the hanna and used a fresh cuvette and got the same thing. I dosed a bit more copper so ill retest tomo...
It’s completely safe to use. It won’t absorb copper.

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29G to use as a QT tank and my understanding is with using only one tank you can run the copper for 30 days or start with GC first, then do copper after 14 days. Is this correct? Also, would these fish be too many to QT at once in that size tank? All would be 2"-3" or smaller, 8 total fish. My plan was to bring filter floss that is soaking in my sump for the HOB, plus run a strip across the back wall of the tank to take the place of live rock to handle the bioload better.

Midas Blenny (Maldives) - Medium - 1
Black & White Chromis (Fiji) - Medium - 2
Clown Goby, Yellow - Medium - 1
Kaudern's Cardinalfish, Captive-Bred (South Asia) - Large - 2
Black Axil Chromis - Small - 1
Blue Reef Chromis - Medium - 1

Thanks for this thread, by the way. Really appreciate the information.

@HotRocks or anyone, what do you think?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks or anyone, what do you think?
That tank should be sufficient for that bio-load. I would keep an eye on ammonia (As always).

I always treat with copper first because it knocks out the more concerning diseases first. With the chromis I would dose metro with copper for the first ten days if it were me to also cover uronema. Then I would treat with prazipro post copper (unless there is a emergency of some sort related to flukes ie a major infestation).

Yes you will want to run copper at the therapeutic level for 30 days when using a single tank.

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank should be sufficient for that bio-load. I would keep an eye on ammonia (As always).

I always treat with copper first because it knocks out the more concerning diseases first. With the chromis I would dose metro with copper for the first ten days if it were me to also cover uronema. Then I would treat with prazipro post copper (unless there is a emergency of some sort related to flukes ie a major infestation).

Yes you will want to run copper at the therapeutic level for 30 days when using a single tank.

Appreciate the reply, will follow this route. Metro is Seachem MetroPlex, right?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why can you run copper for 14 days using the TTM and not when using one tank?

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper only kills the final free swimming stage (looking for a fish to host) of the Ich/velvet life cycle.
So in 14 days time the fish themselves are clear of any trophonts. (likely in 7-10 days) 14 is insurance. They drop off the fish and begin reproduction eventually to the free swimming stage of tomite or dinospores. In therapeutic copper they explode instantly upon release. Therefore the fish can not be re-infected. That is why the transfer to a sterile QT works in the 14 day range, as the tomonts are left behind in the copper tank. FYI tomonts can encyst upon anything hard. PVC pipe, glass, filter, heater, etc. So you do have to use caution when transferring fish. I always net them into a bucket matching QT parameters dosed with copper. Then use a sperate net to move them from bucket to sterile QT.

However if you are lowering copper sooner than 30 days using the same tank there can still be viable tomonts releasing free swimmers to re-infect the fish. Make sense?

1 QT for Copper = 30 days of copper at the therapeutic level.
2 QTs = 14 days in tank 1 of therapeutic copper, then transfer to sterile tank 2.

I believe this reply answers the 14 day question. I may end up just getting a 2nd QT just to get them out of copper sooner.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HotRocks

Looks like im looking a bacterial infection on a fish on copper power. I have kanaplex on hand. Could you please advise? How much to dose? How often? Any other tips? Thanks man!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

Looks like im looking a bacterial infection on a fish on copper power. I have kanaplex on hand. Could you please advise? How much to dose? How often? Any other tips? Thanks man!
Can you upload pics?

Kanaplex is completely safe to use with copper, dosed per the instructions of the manufacturer.

I would only use it if you are 100% sure you have an infection present.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you upload pics?

Kanaplex is completely safe to use with copper, dosed per the instructions of the manufacturer.

I would only use it if you are 100% sure you have an infection present.

I can try and get some pics tomo. But im 100% sure its an infection. Its gotten worse since i first noticed it yesterday. Fish had bad case ich. Its presenting as black spot on fin, almost looks like “fin rot”. On the kanaplex it says dose every two days for max of 3 doses then remove with carbon. Humbles antibiotics thread says dose for 10 days... What should i do? 10 days? Also how do i go about removing it from water after treatment? Thanks

Looks like what i circled here in this picture i just found on google. Not quite that bad though...
450D2851-2E49-4A2D-A06E-883157A562A5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try and get some pics tomo. But im 100% sure its an infection. Its gotten worse since i first noticed it yesterday. Fish had bad case ich. Its presenting as black spot on fin, almost looks like “fin rot”. On the kanaplex it says does every two days then remove with copper. Humbles antibiotics thread says dose for 10 days... What should i do? 10 days? Also how do i go about removing it from water after treatment? Thanks
Yes use for 10-14 days.

I don’t know about removing with copper? Antibiotics break down quickly in water which is why they have to be dosed frequently. No need to “remove”. Unless you just wanted to start another batch of fish or something.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes use for 10-14 days.

I don’t know about removing with copper? Antibiotics break down quickly in water which is why they have to be dosed frequently. No need to “remove”. Unless you just wanted to start another batch of fish or something.
Haha sorry i was typing fast. I meant to say remove with carbon. I edited my original post a few times because i realized i made some mistakes typing :p i also added a pic i found on google that looks like what im dealing with. Did you see it? so the plan is to dose every two days for 10-14 days. I plan on keeping fish in copper for a full 30 days...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can you run copper for 14 days using the TTM and not when using one tank?
Excellent question. The answer is because of the life cycle of CI must be interupted, the host removed from the parasites current environment. Running from a weakened enemy, if you will. Here is an excellent link that can help further your understanding of this particular parasite.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this entire thread. This is good stuff. I have a few questions (and probably more once I get started).

Do you still recommend the marineland HOB filters after discovering their poly filters absorb chemicals. Are the aquaclear HOB maybe a better option? What type of media are do you guys recommend for bacterial surface area?

As far as aerosol transmission, is that something we only need to worry about with the copper treatment tank? My idea is to keep a coral/invert QT and the 2nd stage QT for fish in one room and have the 1st stage copper tank in a completely different portion of the house.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe i'll get more of a response in here..

my lyretail anthias i think ran into something in the tank about a week ago. i put her in the sump later that night and she just wasn't doing much. fast forward a couple of days and she developed some pretty bad popeye, so i gave her an epson salt bath. later that night, no improvement so the next day i got my qt tank going and put her in there. she went straight for a pvc pipe and hasn't left, that i've seen at least. i dosed kanaplex yesterday.. is there anything more i can do? the one side of her that i can see looks bad, like the eye might be gone :(

would adding some epson salt to the qt do anything? instructions for the kanaplex say dose more if the issue isn't fixed tomorrow..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back