My EcoTech horror story

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long and short of it is EcoTech sold me a poorly built unit and now won’t cover the damage that could only have happened due to their manufacturing defect. See the post for details but make sure you check your case for damage mine was extremely bad in a very short time.

E75428E3-21C8-49E6-93D8-403DBF3D9379.jpeg

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an xr15 pro gen 4 and so far knock on wood its running well. All of the horror stories I've heard is the reason I'm going with Kessel on my next build

OP
OP
BruceLeeroy

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you check the bottom screws for hairline cracks they are barely visible until they open up and then a giant piece of mine was in the tank. If the light hadn’t quit I would never have know .

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine at a local reseller they gave me the new bottom plastic part.
I appreciate them taking notice and giving away parts but at this price point, engineering and quality control should be there.
*I* shouldn't have to spend hours of my time replacing a part on a new device prior to installing it.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the defect wasn't well known and documented, they would probably get benefit of doubt. You have every right to be upset about this.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Water Damage" classic. Great way to get more money from you.

Because the case was damaged by defect any other damage should be covered. If the light fell into the water it should be covered.

OP
OP
BruceLeeroy

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

carorack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filed a complaint with the BBB...maybe they can get them to cover their manufacturer defect.

Empathize with you brother, but the better business bureau is a scam. They can pay their way out of bad reviews on there. If they don't want to cover it, I would take it up with the retailer or consider a charge back thru your bank/credit card company.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***update***
Received an email from their customer service manager. They reiterated they think it’s water damage but are going to cover it as a one time courtesy. I guess this horror story turned out to be more of a drama.
Glad to hear they're making this right for you.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***update***
Received an email from their customer service manager. They reiterated they think it’s water damage but are going to cover it as a one time courtesy. I guess this horror story turned out to be more of a drama.

What a load of crap; I am so sick of companies giving us the "we will do it this one time as a courtesy" line. Your product broke, and it should be fixed under warranty. How these companies get away with this is mind boggling.

OP
OP
BruceLeeroy

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess to be fair... there was moisture damage in the pic they sent me but the only possible way it could have got there imo is the hole around the screw hole. I don’t understand why the hell lights made to hang over water in marine environs isn’t water tight. That must be g6 lol!

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess to be fair... there was moisture damage in the pic they sent me but the only possible way it could have got there imo is the hole around the screw hole. I don’t understand why the hell lights made to hang over water in marine environs isn’t water tight. That must be g6 lol!

Of course there is water damage; it sits directly above a giant evaporating tank of water!!

SaltTankMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just had a good experience with my G4 lights and Wcotech customer service. 2 of my 5 lights just went out last week within a day of each other. I opened RMA, sent lights back ($20 shipping from my city) and within 1 week of starting the process they shipped back one brand new light and a fully repaired light. I only have my story, but I think they provided excellent service for my issue. Just my 2 cents.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back