Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - Thank you for visiting my build thread.

It's been a long while since I've started a tank, but I've been lurking for some time now and think it's time to make my way back into this wonderful hobby once more. Here's a link of my previous nano tank build with an ELOS Mini. It's been about 10 years since then and the hobby has changed so much in some ways, but remained consistent in others (which is good to see).

I've got an ELOS MIDI that I purchased a few years back that's never seen water, and through the years it's been collecting dust as I've moved with it 3 times now! I think with all that's going on in 2020, now's a good as time as ever to get this build up and running.

My Hobby Methodology / Philosophy
  1. Enjoy the Journey
  2. Keep it simple
  3. Embrace change
midi-2020.08-tank.jpg

midi-2020.08-sump.jpg

midi-2020.08-eloslogo.jpg

Here are my plans for the tank...

Tank:
  • ELOS MIDI 36 gallons
  • Tank size: 22.5"L x 19.7"D x 19.1"H
  • ELOS Square cabinet
  • Stand size: 22.5"L x 19.7D x 34.25"H

Sump:
  • ELOS Sump400
  • Filtration size- 19.25"L x 16"D x 16.75"H
  • Estimated Sump Volume est. ~10 gallons
  • Total water volume of system est. ~46 gallons
  • Includes 4 gallon Top-Off Reservoir
  • Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
Filtration:
  • ELOS PS200 skimmer
  • Live Rock Rubble
  • Chemi-pure
  • Polyfilter

Light:
  • AI Hydra 32HD with HMS Mount

Flow:
  • EcoTech MP10wQD
  • EcoTech Battery Back-Up

Heating:
  • BRS 200W Titanium Heater System

Control:
  • None, but... TBD!! Possibly a RKL I've got stored away

There's still much more to plan for, including lighting, control, heaters, and some power/electrical considerations (including battery back-up). My goal is progress the tank methodically and not rush into anything. The build component has always been one of the most enjoyable parts for me in setting up a reef tank. Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trip to HD, $10, and 2 hours of free time this weekend to add a shelf to the stand.

I've always preferred the elevated sumps on ELOS tanks, but this older model ELOS Square Cabinet had the sump resting on the ground, and I've been wanting to get it raised like I'm used to on my ELOS Mini. It also creates a little extra storage on the bottom for dry goods.

Here is a before pic of the stand to show how the sump would sit (on the bottom) of the floor.
midi-2020.08-stand-before.jpg

After some measuring, the $10 shelf addition now allows me to raise the sump up. Subtle but super helpful mod for the ELOS Midi for those without the raised sump shelf.
midi-2020.08-stand-after.jpg

While I was at it, decided to mount my Tripp Lite ECO-Surge.
midi-2020.08-stand-plugs.jpg

Stand and sump pics to come later after I've had a chance to get everything back in place.

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job , remember to had a rubber mat underneath your sump now you made a shelve for it .
we decided to remove the shelf in the cabinet to avoid the resonance sound in .

OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job , remember to had a rubber mat underneath your sump now you made a shelve for it .
we decided to remove the shelf in the cabinet to avoid the resonance sound in .
Thank you @ELOSAmerica! The suggestion is a great one and I see how removal of the shelf could improve noise and reduce resonance. Good thing I haven't filled up the tank yet, glad you helped out in time :)

OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some time this weekend to organize and install some equipment...
  • Installed the Hydra 32HD and HMS mount
  • Mounted Ecotech Battery Back-up w/MP10wQD
  • Installed Ecotech MP10wQD
  • Tons of cord organization in the cabinet
midi-2020.09-equipboxes.jpg

Sump is nearly ready, some minor clean-up on the cords left to do on the left side... but it's looking more organized!
midi-2020.09-sumpequip2.jpg

First time using AI Hydras and I'm quite satisfied with the overall ease of use with the ability to control most of what I need directly from the app. I was debating between the 64HD and 32HD and am glad I went with the smaller Hydra. Plenty of spread and HMS mount makes it a perfect fit for the ELOS Midi.
midi-2020.09-drytank3.jpg

Next step... time to get wet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the 10th day of the cycle!

Filled the tank 13SEP2020 with pre-mixed SW from my LFS. Seeded with some LR from my established 110 lagoon (10 yr old tank!).

The total fill volume was a bit interesting, I used 7x standard 5g jugs, which equates to about +35 gallon total volume for both the main display as well as the volume needed for the sump. Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy... I recalculated the dims and it should be about 36 gallons for the display tank itself... My guess is the negative space taken by the overflow, and space the live rock takes up in the display is made up in the sump. The sump isn't that big either, so it doesn't command much additional volume... lastly, my 5g jugs were filled to the brim so if I were to guess... total volume in tank and sump is somewhere shy 36 or 37 gallons of working volume.

Not sure if there are other ELOS owners out there that can chime in, but it helps me understand the system a bit better since I find it weird that I didn't end up needing more water to get both the display and sump filled.

Next steps include: (1) tuning the ELOS PowerSkimmer200 (PS200) - it's proven finicky so far! (2) Getting some water chemistry readings for the cycle planned at the 14 day mark with a water change to follow. (3) Pending the water chemistry, clean-up-crews are moving in!

Here's a current pic of the tank... not 100% satisfied with the aquascape because of the weird bulges... but I'm going to go with it for now. Planning to fill in the empty spaces and mis-matched rock colors with coral :)

Thanks all!

Tank Shot 22SEP2020
midi-2020.09-tank.jpg

FTS 22SEP2020
midi-2020.09-fts.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,coming along great!! the reef never lets you go!!! ;) "must be someting in the water":)welcome back wet! along for the ride:cool:

ELOSAmerica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the 10th day of the cycle!

Filled the tank 13SEP2020 with pre-mixed SW from my LFS. Seeded with some LR from my established 110 lagoon (10 yr old tank!).

The total fill volume was a bit interesting, I used 7x standard 5g jugs, which equates to about +35 gallon total volume for both the main display as well as the volume needed for the sump. Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy... I recalculated the dims and it should be about 36 gallons for the display tank itself... My guess is the negative space taken by the overflow, and space the live rock takes up in the display is made up in the sump. The sump isn't that big either, so it doesn't command much additional volume... lastly, my 5g jugs were filled to the brim so if I were to guess... total volume in tank and sump is somewhere shy 36 or 37 gallons of working volume.

Not sure if there are other ELOS owners out there that can chime in, but it helps me understand the system a bit better since I find it weird that I didn't end up needing more water to get both the display and sump filled.

Next steps include: (1) tuning the ELOS PowerSkimmer200 (PS200) - it's proven finicky so far! (2) Getting some water chemistry readings for the cycle planned at the 14 day mark with a water change to follow. (3) Pending the water chemistry, clean-up-crews are moving in!

Here's a current pic of the tank... not 100% satisfied with the aquascape because of the weird bulges... but I'm going to go with it for now. Planning to fill in the empty spaces and mis-matched rock colors with coral :)

Thanks all!

Tank Shot 22SEP2020
midi-2020.09-tank.jpg

FTS 22SEP2020
midi-2020.09-fts.jpg
love the reefscape .

OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got coralline!! Specks started showing up this month and have gotten more plentiful on the bare bottom recently. Excited to have it show up on something other than the rock and hoping to have it take off in the next few months.

I’m also planning on a few rounds of ICP tests before going too quick too soon on stocking with corals. I love this phase of the hobby and can’t wait to start coral stocking!

And last update, been working on a saltwater mixing station and I’m about halfway done this holiday season. I had a few restrictions on space and could only make this work with two 7G Ace Roto-Mold tanks. With this setup I’ll be ready with about 15% ready to go mixed saltwater, and have the ability to make another 15% if needed. Will be using this setup to mix Tropic Marin Pro-Reef sea salt, so far one of my favorite salts since it mixes so clean!

I’ll be posting another update when I’m done with the mixing station, thanks all.

B13B8792-763A-4B2D-8E78-607630506B06.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! is that a lazys blue zing birdsnest?!
That's correct! Fell in love with Birdnest corals and couldn't pass up the Blue Zing Birdnest when I saw it and read about it on LaZy's site. Being an aquacultured specimen, it's one of the faster growers in my tank! Great eye for spotting it ;)

Team ELOS! What a beautiful build. I really love the aquascape and that light stand! The corals have really filled in nicely.
Thank you! Appreciate the kind words. I'm itching to try an ELOS 70 or 120 Diamond Series one day, it's dangerous... getting the tape measure out and already eyeing corners in the house to see where I may be able to fit an upgrade one day :D

Wow, absolutely beautiful! I am hoping to get my ELOS cycling in the next week or so!
Thank you! Really looking forward to seeing your system up and running!

new light?
Yep, I switched from the Hydra 32HD + Reef Brite XHO's to Radion G5 Blue + Reef Brite XHO's in July 2021. Switch was primarily due to the need for spread. I actually quite liked the Hydra 32HD setup with Reef Brites, but I was getting too much shading throughout the scape with the puck systems. Also, I'm not a big fan of glass mounted light brackets (like the HMS setup), and have always wanted to make the upgrade to 8020 fixed to the stand so that the glass wasn't bearing any weight... figured to knock two birds with one stone with the upgrade earlier this year.

IA6A3556.JPG

Back