My Experience with Peroxide , wiping out the entire tank over night.

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Experience with Peroxide

Long story short, peroxide has completely destroyed my livestock overnight. My tank wasn't having any issues, but I was reading through some articles and testimonials by local reefers about their success with dosing small amounts of peroxide for pest algae and cyano prevention. After battling against bubble algae and minor bryopsis, I thought it was a good idea to try it out to prevent future outbreaks.

The tank is precisely measured at 23.5 gallons during the initial fill. I hand-dosed 2.3ml of 3% peroxide diluted with pure water (as stated on the label), following the "safe zone" advice of 1ml per 10 gallons. I had seen records of 3% peroxide being dosed as high as 1ml per gallon without any issues, so I wasn't worried at all. Then, I went to bed, and when I woke up, ALL the fish, snails, and shrimp were dead.

The casualties include:

2x blackstom clown
1x royal gramma
4x nassarius snail
1x shrimp
4x cerith snail
1x strawberry conch

ALL DEAD, with not a sign of copepods and amphipods, which were once thriving. However, all the corals, from softies to LPS and some SPS, are completely fine. I tested my water and found that my nitrates have shot up. I assume my peroxide killed off all the microorganisms like pods, leading to an ammonia spike that killed everything in the tank. Unfortunately, I don't have an ammonia test kit to confirm this.

Tank parameters are as follows:

(5 days ago)
Specific gravity (SG): 1.026
Phosphate (Phos): 0.08
Nitrate: 5-10
Alkalinity (Alk): 7.8
Magnesium (MG): 1350
Calcium (Cal): 460

Current Parameters:

SG: 1.026
Phos: 0.09
Nitrate: PINK (currently high)
Alk: 7.5
MG: 1320
Cal: 440

I started this hobby back in March and went through lots of challenges with Dinos, bubble algae, and bryopsis. Dealing with these pests was annoying, but I understood that it's inevitable during the first year of reefing. At least my corals were doing pretty good, and managing the nano tank with daily scraping and manual removal wasn't too bad, nothing went out of control and things were in check. However, this event hit me hard, and it's just devastating. These fishes were like my pets, and I really liked them. Now, I feel so bad for them, and I feel empty. I won't give up on the hobby, but for now, I'll continue without any fishes, only focusing on corals and ghost feeding to avoid bottoming out the nitrate.

Lessons learned the hard way:

・ Don't add anything into your tank unless you're facing an issue.
・ NEVER EVER TOUCH PEROXIDE.

All tanks are different, and some may have had success with peroxide, but for me, peroxide is nothing but a toxic nightmare. I don't blame anyone else, as it was ultimately my decision and laziness to consider unconventional methods for preventing algae that caused this. I won't repeat the same mistake in the future.
IM SORRY, my fishes :crying-face:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer with cup removed after dosing the peroxide to maintain the tank aerated without skimming out. No UV is attached
I've been running carbon and various UVs for close to 4 years now and I've never once had a single issue with any of the exotic algaes, so I highly recommend those.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Experience with Peroxide

Long story short, peroxide has completely destroyed my livestock overnight. My tank wasn't having any issues, but I was reading through some articles and testimonials by local reefers about their success with dosing small amounts of peroxide for pest algae and cyano prevention. After battling against bubble algae and minor bryopsis, I thought it was a good idea to try it out to prevent future outbreaks.

The tank is precisely measured at 23.5 gallons during the initial fill. I hand-dosed 2.3ml of 3% peroxide diluted with pure water (as stated on the label), following the "safe zone" advice of 1ml per 10 gallons. I had seen records of 3% peroxide being dosed as high as 1ml per gallon without any issues, so I wasn't worried at all. Then, I went to bed, and when I woke up, ALL the fish, snails, and shrimp were dead.

The casualties include:

2x blackstom clown
1x royal gramma
4x nassarius snail
1x shrimp
4x cerith snail
1x strawberry conch

ALL DEAD, with not a sign of copepods and amphipods, which were once thriving. However, all the corals, from softies to LPS and some SPS, are completely fine. I tested my water and found that my nitrates have shot up. I assume my peroxide killed off all the microorganisms like pods, leading to an ammonia spike that killed everything in the tank. Unfortunately, I don't have an ammonia test kit to confirm this.

Tank parameters are as follows:

(5 days ago)
Specific gravity (SG): 1.026
Phosphate (Phos): 0.08
Nitrate: 5-10
Alkalinity (Alk): 7.8
Magnesium (MG): 1350
Calcium (Cal): 460

Current Parameters:

SG: 1.026
Phos: 0.09
Nitrate: PINK (currently high)
Alk: 7.5
MG: 1320
Cal: 440

I started this hobby back in March and went through lots of challenges with Dinos, bubble algae, and bryopsis. Dealing with these pests was annoying, but I understood that it's inevitable during the first year of reefing. At least my corals were doing pretty good, and managing the nano tank with daily scraping and manual removal wasn't too bad, nothing went out of control and things were in check. However, this event hit me hard, and it's just devastating. These fishes were like my pets, and I really liked them. Now, I feel so bad for them, and I feel empty. I won't give up on the hobby, but for now, I'll continue without any fishes, only focusing on corals and ghost feeding to avoid bottoming out the nitrate.

Lessons learned the hard way:

・ Don't add anything into your tank unless you're facing an issue.
・ NEVER EVER TOUCH PEROXIDE.

All tanks are different, and some may have had success with peroxide, but for me, peroxide is nothing but a toxic nightmare. I don't blame anyone else, as it was ultimately my decision and laziness to consider unconventional methods for preventing algae that caused this. I won't repeat the same mistake in the future.
IM SORRY, my fishes :crying-face:
If I have to guess, what you did is either free up some toxin bound to organics or kill off a bunch of endotoxin containing cyanobacteria. The latter is far more likely. You really should always run activated carbon when dosing peroxide. Peroxide at this point in the hobby is no longer unconventional, but it takes precautionary measures.

OP
OP
B

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so not running activated carbon could be the culprit? Still feels like crap and everytime i look at my tank with no life..... Wonder why no corals were hit and now they are actually opening up bigger than ever.

OP
OP
B

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems strange that 2.3ml of 3% peroxide would wipe a tank out. I pull frag plugs covered in algae and squirt peroxide all over them then return to the tank without rinsing. Maybe I have dumb luck :thinking-face:
Thais what i thought too, I've read many successful reports of dosage up to 1ml/gal with 3% solution.
2.3ml was hand dosed with a 3% per-oxide labelled as mixed with pure water so no room of error to this.
No other changes /equipment failure over night.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems strange that 2.3ml of 3% peroxide would wipe a tank out. I pull frag plugs covered in algae and squirt peroxide all over them then return to the tank without rinsing. Maybe I have dumb luck :thinking-face:
Same. Currently dosing my system at a rate higher than OP with zero negative effects

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see how that dosage of peroxide killed all your live stock, when added to saltwater peroxide turns to oxygen and water. I've added straight peroxide to a similar sized tank for bryopsis with no ill effects. You must've had some underlining issue that showed up. If in fact all the pods and amphipods died that would not be enough to cause an ammonia spike of drastic proportions, they are too small an organism. How old is your tank?

OP
OP
B

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see how that dosage of peroxide killed all your live stock, when added to saltwater peroxide turns to oxygen and water. I've added straight peroxide to a similar sized tank for bryopsis with no ill effects. You must've had some underlining issue that showed up. If in fact all the pods and amphipods died that would not be enough to cause an ammonia spike of drastic proportions, they are too small an organism. How old is your tank?
approaching 20weeks.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been there done that but I was using the 30% hydroponics grade stuff, your dosage rate does not sound all that nuclear unless the peroxide morphed into some sorta toxin ….
…heck after nuking my 210g I’m back using peroxide…might require a lil more CSI work

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your most recent pics of the tank before dosing, looking for certain unstated details that may matter here. 500K people have done your dosing run harmlessly

Peroxide dosed at 1:10 ratio isn't dangerous, and removing known sensitive animals before the dose is the right way. In your list there are some sensitives that weren't removed first. = let's see pics, there's another detail in them would be curious to see beyond just sensitive shrimp

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ocean run peroxide?
Funnily enough lots of photosynthetic things exude small amounts of peroxide, as a byproduct of photosynthesis. Algae’s that are not equipped with the machinery to cope with the higher levels of peroxide, perish, for example. I had an unconfirmed theory that this is why algae scrubbers appear to work, even when nutrients seem to be replete. But you can ignore that as it might be a reefbeef “mind story”, and it was a long time ago :)

OP
OP
B

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your most recent pics of the tank before dosing, looking for certain unstated details that may matter here. 500K people have done your dosing run harmlessly

Peroxide dosed at 1:10 ratio isn't dangerous, and removing known sensitive animals before the dose is the right way. In your list there are some sensitives that weren't removed first. = let's see pics, there's another detail in them would be curious to see beyond just sensitive shrimp
KwdWgmy.jpg

here you go. Sorry couldn't find clearer pic under whites, but basically it's still a pretty new tank with not much maturing going on. All rocks are covered with green film algae and minor issue of bubble/bryopsis that I've been manually removing through daily scrub which made me try peroxide.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for examples of extreme invasion where invader cells killed off by peroxide rotted in the tank, not applicable. truly nice tank, truly an outlier outcome and I know that doesn't smooth things over any

did you quarantine/fallow the tank before stocking with fish? asking only due to the small chance of a coincidental fish kill, dying fish rotting in the tank can start a loss cascade, and it's not usually triggered by peroxide for sure. that was indeed a perfect looking reef/wow

OP
OP
B

BangingBaking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for examples of extreme invasion where invader cells killed off by peroxide rotted in the tank, not applicable. truly nice tank, truly an outlier outcome and I know that doesn't smooth things over any

did you quarantine/fallow the tank before stocking with fish? asking only due to the small chance of a coincidental fish kill, dying fish rotting in the tank can start a loss cascade, and it's not usually triggered by peroxide for sure. that was indeed a perfect looking reef/wow
thanks for the compliment!

So this is how my fish stocking went

End Feb - tank was filled with water

Mid March - first ever fish, Royal Gramma

Mid April - A pair of Blackstorm Clownfish

First week of July - A possum wrasse which i returned it 3days after introducing. It didn't do well with my gramma who were being extremely territorial around his cave (as you can see in the picture i've posted, clowns were kinda forced to stay at the top because whenever they tried to explore around the rock, gramma would chase them) and they were fighting aggressively both fish getting nipped fins.

Have never spotted any sign of disease(This tank is in my bedroom and right now im working from home most of the time so i spent quite a time with my tank observing everyday) and bodies looked clean.

Don't have QT set up on my own, but LFS i buy from QT every shipment for 18days with copper in the back before they start selling in the store front, which is also treated with copper.

The more I read about people's experience with peroxide and reaction to this thread, the more it looks like it wasn't peroxide but something else that caused the crash... which i'm struggling to figure.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To hit everything that hard that fast but not the corals, I would be looking for a mechanical malfunction. Back siphoned pump, stuck ATO, leaking voltage etc.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm truly stumped as well. that system has plenty of surface area to handle a dead fish or two, any possible imports for contaminations? asking because I once had a hidden contamination fish kill: for decades Id used sprayway common glass cleaner on/near my tank to clean streaks. decades, I'd spray it right on the front glass not even being that careful/no problems

one day I just sprayed the tank down very low, not near the top at all, to handle a small smear on the glass and within 1 minute every fish in the tank was belly up/per the label it said 'new, improved formula' and to this day I don't know what the change was that killed the setup. I no longer spray near the fish tank that's for sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back