My First Cube Build - Waterbox Cube 20

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first Cube/Nano Reef attempt!! Here's the build list as it stands. Parts are coming in. Building it slowly as time progresses.

Tank: Waterbox Cube 20
Intank Chamber 1 Filter Media Tray - Top (Pinky Filter), Middle (MarinePure 1.5" Balls), Bottom (Chemipure Blue)
Middle Chamber 2 - 100W BRS Titanium Heater with Inkbird Controller, IceCap K1 Nano Skimmer, Extra Marine pure bioballs in the bottom
Return Chamber 3 - Mighty Jet Nano, Avast Marine ATO

Aquascape with consist of Caribsea Dry Live Rock and Live Sand
Wave Pump - Nero 3

Livestock: CUC, pair Clowns, Goby with Shrimp, Softy Coral, LPS type corals.
Macroalgae: intank Dragons breathe or something similar

Thats the plan so far.

To get a jump on the Cycle, the bioballs are bagged and in the sump at the LFS where most of my corals, at least initially will come from.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing the progress, welcome to the nano life! I have always ran nanos (due to size constraints) but I love em!

Smart move with the bioballs! I like that idea! Welcome and happy to see the build thread!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first Cube/Nano Reef attempt!! Here's the build list as it stands. Parts are coming in. Building it slowly as time progresses.

Tank: Waterbox Cube 20
Intank Chamber 1 Filter Media Tray - Top (Pinky Filter), Middle (MarinePure 1.5" Balls), Bottom (Chemipure Blue)
Middle Chamber 2 - 100W BRS Titanium Heater with Inkbird Controller, IceCap K1 Nano Skimmer, Extra Marine pure bioballs in the bottom
Return Chamber 3 - Mighty Jet Nano, Avast Marine ATO

Aquascape with consist of Caribsea Dry Live Rock and Live Sand
Wave Pump - Nero 3

Livestock: CUC, pair Clowns, Goby with Shrimp, Softy Coral, LPS type corals.
Macroalgae: intank Dragons breathe or something similar

Thats the plan so far.

To get a jump on the Cycle, the bioballs are bagged and in the sump at the LFS where most of my corals, at least initially will come from.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place to me!

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some minor assembly done today.

1) Heater and controller installed
2) ATO reservoir, pump, controller, sensor and refills tube mounted.
3) icecap k1 skimmer installed
4) random flow generator installed.
5) Chamber 1 intank with temp probs and pinky filter installed.

Waiting on the return pump and the Nero 3. I also ordered a inline UV unit that will go online with the return pump. Not sure on that one yet. But we’ll see
A4B02863-FF28-4674-BEE4-C6539CDA6D1F.jpeg
904EF9DA-8B42-4F09-BCA7-485D14D5572F.jpeg
68EA8FBD-71EF-456B-8ADA-7CE2C0DF8763.jpeg
260CF2A3-D3EE-4851-A677-611C746C51D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 74741E6C-7E28-4A2A-9D17-6BAB8A98EC74.jpeg
    74741E6C-7E28-4A2A-9D17-6BAB8A98EC74.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to put a JBJ NanoZapp UV sterilizer inline with the return pump since i had room and it could prove useful. I'll keep it off until i think i need it.

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow I will go get the water from my LFS and 5 gallons of RODI for the ATO. Also the live sand will go in. I'll probably let the sand settle out and then dose with Fritz Turbostart 900 and do my baseline water parameter testing.

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D021A5B5-C41C-4025-9A6E-5CD0D18CCFD8.jpeg

So I got the cube filled today! About 18 gallons after all the sand and rock displaced some water. Used Caribsea Aragalive Special Grade Reef.
Dosed with fritz turbo 900.

Avast ATO was super easy to set. Just set where I wanted it. Disconnected the RO tube from the switch box and let the water find it’s level in the sensor tube. Then plug the RO tube back into the control box. Done. Now if the water in the tube drops the pressure switch activates the pump and fills the tank!

Still trying to figure out how to turn the AI Prime off without just unplugging it. ‍♂️

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed Algaebarn Nitrocycle to 3ppm last evening once everything settled out. I tested this morning. Its already down to .29ppm. Seem the fritz turbostart and my precycling of the bioballs at the LFS have ALOT or hungry active bacteria.

I'm gonna redose to 3ppm tonight and continue this feeding cycle for at least 7 days prior to Clown introduction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's one thick sandbed
Yeah. I put the whole bag of sand in. I was thinking it might be a bit much too. Its still cycling so I may remove some of the sand before I put anything in. I want to make sure there is plenty of room for goby and shrimp burrows though. Any thoughts on how deep I should have it???

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I put the whole bag of sand in. I was thinking it might be a bit much too. Its still cycling so I may remove some of the sand before I put anything in. I want to make sure there is plenty of room for goby and shrimp burrows though. Any thoughts on how deep I should have it???
From my research, an inch should be sufficient. I'd take some sand out as a thinner sandbed will trap less detritus = easier maintenance

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure that the rockwork was not placed on top of the sand as burrowing shrimp may be crushed by a rock if they displace the sand supporting it

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure that the rockwork was not placed on top of the sand as burrowing shrimp may be crushed by a rock if they displace the sand supporting it
The rock work is firmly on the bottom. Rock was in first. I didn't want to take a chance of any critters burrowing and undermining the structure.

OP
OP
D

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is complete, yet to mature completely though. Bacteria are consuming 1ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs now for 3 days straight. No Nitrites and increasing nitrates.

Sustainable Aquatics Frostbite SubZero Bonded Clown Pair coming on Friday
SA Blacker ICe.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back