My first reef build

TobysLostReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

So here's the beginning of my very first reef tank. I'm a hobbyist woodworker at heart, I usually make small things like keepsake boxes and whatnot. I decided to build my own stand out of 2x4s and wrapped it in cedar fence boards. (Love the smell so the house smelling like it was an added bonus :):)) the stand is 28 inches tall by 33 inches wide by 20 inches deep. Wasn't sure of the final weight of the tank so I over built it a bit multiple cross supports under. It held 500lbs without a creak so I think I'm ok.

On to the tank itself, standard aqueon 29 gallon tank. I wanted low tech for my first build. So I pieced my tank together with things I have around my house ( I've kept freshwater for 3 years now) had a spare marineland 350 that was brand new in the box, 200 watt heater, 800 gph powerhead.

For substrate I choose aragonite I put about 20lbs in there it gave me about 2 inches across the bottom, I have 10 lbs left over in case I want to add more later. went the route of dry base rock that's about 40lbs in there.

As for lighting, this one I mulled over left and right. I knew this was going to be the biggest expense of the build and decided to go for the nicrew marine led. It had awesome reviews and at $45 I figured it was worth a shot. So far I'm really happy, I have their lights on most of my freshwater aquariums.

I've got a bottle of instant ocean biospira comming in today, once it gets here I'm going to pick up a pair of mocha gladiator or frostbite clowns (having a hard time deciding my LFS has both so I guess I'll decided when i get there lol)

I want to add a zoa of two but I think I may wait for the tank to age for a bit first.

So far the wife seems happy with how much I've spent and she hasn't threatened me with divorce yet so I think I'm doing ok haha. (I think its cause she knows how much I've wanted a reef tank for years)
20200802_055213.jpg
20200802_055219.jpg
20200802_055227_mfnr.jpg

I built the front door as large as possible for when I inevitably upgrade to a sump.

20200802_055446.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tank looks great. Great job on the stand. Smart move on the door. Always leave as much room as possible for maintenance and upgrades. Keep us posted

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back