My first reef build

TobysLostReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

So here's the beginning of my very first reef tank. I'm a hobbyist woodworker at heart, I usually make small things like keepsake boxes and whatnot. I decided to build my own stand out of 2x4s and wrapped it in cedar fence boards. (Love the smell so the house smelling like it was an added bonus :):)) the stand is 28 inches tall by 33 inches wide by 20 inches deep. Wasn't sure of the final weight of the tank so I over built it a bit multiple cross supports under. It held 500lbs without a creak so I think I'm ok.

On to the tank itself, standard aqueon 29 gallon tank. I wanted low tech for my first build. So I pieced my tank together with things I have around my house ( I've kept freshwater for 3 years now) had a spare marineland 350 that was brand new in the box, 200 watt heater, 800 gph powerhead.

For substrate I choose aragonite I put about 20lbs in there it gave me about 2 inches across the bottom, I have 10 lbs left over in case I want to add more later. went the route of dry base rock that's about 40lbs in there.

As for lighting, this one I mulled over left and right. I knew this was going to be the biggest expense of the build and decided to go for the nicrew marine led. It had awesome reviews and at $45 I figured it was worth a shot. So far I'm really happy, I have their lights on most of my freshwater aquariums.

I've got a bottle of instant ocean biospira comming in today, once it gets here I'm going to pick up a pair of mocha gladiator or frostbite clowns (having a hard time deciding my LFS has both so I guess I'll decided when i get there lol)

I want to add a zoa of two but I think I may wait for the tank to age for a bit first.

So far the wife seems happy with how much I've spent and she hasn't threatened me with divorce yet so I think I'm doing ok haha. (I think its cause she knows how much I've wanted a reef tank for years)
20200802_055213.jpg
20200802_055219.jpg
20200802_055227_mfnr.jpg

I built the front door as large as possible for when I inevitably upgrade to a sump.

20200802_055446.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tank looks great. Great job on the stand. Smart move on the door. Always leave as much room as possible for maintenance and upgrades. Keep us posted

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back