My first salt water tank

Maverick2403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm new to the reefing community and have been wanting to get one for years. I finally gave in since my new, and first, baby loves fish tanks. I was able to get a used 36 gallon bow front tank and stand and fin lay got water and rock in it. I'll post on here updates prob every couple days and look forward to any advice from y'all. So I have read to put the sand in after the rock and before water to help with cloudiness. I however didn't do that bc I forgot about the sand until the tank was 2/3 full. I'm using a aquaclear 70 HOB filter and have a 1400 GPH powerhead for the tank. I'll prob have to get a slimmer soon and plan on fish and coral for the tank. The rock is dry rock and the sand is fiji pink live sand plus I put a bottle of bacteria in the tank to help the cycle start up. Here are pictures about 10 hours after I filled it and it's starting to clear up already which I'm excited about.

IMG_3378.PNG

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

OP
OP
Maverick2403

Maverick2403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up to a much clearer tank. Now my and the wife, who has hated this idea until now, are debating on adding some rock to the left side. I have about 80 lbs of rock left over. I got a pretty good deal on the rock so figured more would give more option on aqua scaping. Any thoughts On adding some on top of the left rock base or not. The left side is currently 2 pieces and the right is 2 big pieces and 1 small on the very far right bottom. Kinda hate the whole idea of having to cycle the tank, makes it take to long to get running. Lol

IMG_3381.JPG

OP
OP
Maverick2403

Maverick2403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 with my new tank and it looks the same as day 2. I did add the rock that will go into my 10 gallon tank. I did this to get the rock live and ready to just slide over to the 10 once the cycle is complete. I'm looking at getting a HOB overflow and putting a sump in the bottom of the stand. This will allow me to put the HOB 70 in the 10 which will be plenty of filteration for it. I plan on a small fish and some corals in the 10. Ill post more pictures in 2-3 days.

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

OP
OP
Maverick2403

Maverick2403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm actually picking up a 45 this weekend so I'll move this one to my office and use the 45 in the living room. I will convert my 10 gallon into a sump for the 45 since it'll have more fish and corals so the bio-load will be higher there.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome bud. And good luck with your reef tank. Only advice I will give is take your time. You don't necessarily have to worry about heavy equipment like a skimmer for a while. I run a 60g with 2 fish and still no skimmer and all is well.

Just saves a few bucks to know you don't NEED one yet ya know

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back