My first SW build

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off hello everyone, this will be my first SW build. I will be using a 55 gal all glass aquarium. I am building the stand myself. Under the tank will be a 20 gal long sump, which I am also building myself. I am looking at starting this a a FOWLR tank and slowly working my way into corals. I would however like some input on the sump. I was looking at adding a refugium but have also recently come across cryptic zones in the sump. As i said i have done extensive research but would like some input from all of you as to which you would create a spot for if not both. (Cheato or cryptic).

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that cryptic zones are very beneficial. If your rock is relatively open and you have sufficient amount of it, I find adding an additional zone unnecessary. This doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't make them but I find there are usually enough already in your overflow and refugium as well as within your DT. As an option, I would like to see manufacturers darken the first stage of the sump to "build-in" a zone. This is something that you can easily do as you are building the sump yourself. This way you have the needed flow for sponge growth without dedicating any other part of the sump, utilizing valuable real estate.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question i have is with the refugium will pods live going through a return pump i have heard of people "rinsing" their cheato in the DT everynight. Or how else could you make that work.
I have never had a problem with the pods not making it to the DT alive. Certainly, some will be minced on the way to the display but enough will survive the journey. Additionally, chopped up pods are going to still feed corals and likely some will need to be chopped up to feed some corals. The coral tentacles of many SPS's are rarely potent enough to kill and/or hang on to a pod with protective armor at any rate. I believe that rinsing your chateo in the DT to be completely unnecessary. Nothing to stop you from doing but I think it is a general wast of our precious maintenance time that could be better spent on other more important tasks. I am guilty of picking the numerous pods from my drain socks, however. Examining your drain socks for pods is a good indication that, indeed, pods will make it to your display and back to the sump, impellers be darned.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with the pods not making it to the DT alive. Certainly, some will be minced on the way to the display but enough will survive the journey. Additionally, chopped up pods are going to still feed corals and likely some will need to be chopped up to feed some corals. The coral tentacles of many SPS's are rarely potent enough to kill and/or hang on to a pod with protective armor at any rate. I believe that rinsing your chateo in the DT to be completely unnecessary. Nothing to stop you from doing but I think it is a general wast of our precious maintenance time that could be better spent on other more important tasks. I am guilty of picking the numerous pods from my drain socks, however. Examining your drain socks for pods is a good indication that, indeed, pods will make it to your display and back to the sump, impellers be darned.
Thanks for all your input!

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow i will be posting some pics of the tank and the skeleton of my stand (I should have it finished tomorrow). Then hopefully I can work on finding a overflow i like and begin installing baffles in my sump!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What @P-Dub said is all good advice.

I would say a refugium is more important if I had to choose because there will still be some cryptic areas.

Welcome to R2R!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @N2theUnknown !

A sump is a great idea for growing algae. I’ve also recently been looking at Algae reactors if you don’t have enough space in your sump as another option. They are stand alone so can be outside of the sump area.

I haven’t tried one yet myself but they look like a good idea/ option for nutrient control.

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a refugium with a deep sand bed and love it. Just do a little research on the light. I’d really recommend LED red/blues. They’ve lasted longer and grow a lot better than the standard Home Depot clamp on metal light.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as you can see in the background the kids REALLLLLY helped me on this project haha. But anyways we got her built for the most part. Im going to add playwood to the top and also under the sump. Then will finish it out can decide on how i want to finish. Be it paint or stain or have even though about some old barn wood not sure yet.
20180514_191030.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back