My Humble 33 Long Build...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, boredom usually manifests itself as a new tank. So, I'd like to show everyone a 40 Long build that turned into a 33 Long. LOL

When it comes to woodworking, I think of myself as being at an intermediate skill level. This is in part due to the limited amount of work space which translates into limited tools. Below is a simple, tried and true stand design. I've stained it and applied several coats of polyurethane to make it somewhat pleasing to the eye.

IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned previously, this started out as a 40 long... until I began drilling the bottom for bulkheads. Then this happened...

IMG_5194.JPG

This tank DID NOT have a tempered glass warning sticker on the bottom. Try proving that to the LFS or the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this thing where I like all of my plumbing to remain within the footprint of the tank. But the ugliness of PVC coming up into the display was something I wanted to avoid. Granted, it can be camouflaged over time with the growth of coraline algae and aqua-scaping. But I wanted something more. So I came up with this:

IMG_5172.JPG IMG_5183.JPG IMG_5184.JPG IMG_5186.JPG IMG_5187.JPG

What you are looking at is a pair of overflow boxes with bulkheads installed at the bottom and strainers inside the overflow. By using schedule 80 PVC, which is black, the entire drain system is black. By putting a jet black background behind the display tank, the overflows and drains are very well hidden.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 33 long having a non-tempered bottom, drilling and installing bulkheads went smoothly.

IMG_5193.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG IMG_5201.JPG IMG_5202.JPG

And as you can see, this is the overflow installed with the schedule 80 PVC
IMG_5210.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return:

IMG_5240.JPG

Another shot of the tank with overflows installed. That other piece of PVC coming up between them is the return. I've simply capped it off and drilled 4 1/4 inch holes pointed at each corner of the tank to try and avoid dead spots.

IMG_5271-A.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Eshopps sump rated for 75 gallons. The right chamber will have live rock. On the left, I have an Octo 110 space saver skimmer which I believe is rated for up to 90 gallons. Additionally, that side will have the return pump, heater and ATO float.

IMG_5234.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As hard as I tried to keep my plumbing all schedule 80, it turned out to be a waste of money. As you can see, I mixed pieces as I got tired of having to wait for parts I forgot to arrive. I was getting excited and didn't want to wait anymore. Yes... I know... no one will see it... but I will now it is there. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

IMG_5242.JPG

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in. About the cycle...

I have a bunch of "live rock" which was dried out and stored in a pail. If you look at the picture, all of the pale rock to the right is the rock I pulled out of storage. The 3 pieces you see on the left is seed rock I took from another tank.

It was a relatively quick cycle; ammonia and peaked in about 10 days and within 22 days, I was testing ZERO ammonia and 5 nitrates.

IMG_5280.JPG

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too much flow... can you? Well, I guess if you were running a fire hose in the tank, then yeah. But I wanted to increase flow and not spend too much.

I like the EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive Propeller Pump:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vortech-mp40w-qd-propeller-pump-ecotech-marine.html

But I want two, and at $350 each, I needed a "plan B".

I decided on a pair of AquaClear 70 hang on back filters. Here's why:

1. They create plenty of extra flow.
2. They hang outside the tank so they aren't an eyesore.
3. They provide a place to run bagged filter media (I like to use Chemi-Pure Elite). If I want to run it, and it comes in a bag, I've got a place to put it.
4. Since they are outside the tank, there isn't any stray voltages that you may get from power heads you place in the tank.
5. They were only $50 bucks each.

IMG_5317.JPG

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a shot of the tank as of last night. I've placed a few frags in and there is a Valentino Puffer in there somewhere along with an emerald crab and a red hermit crab.

Notice the overflows and return against the black background. Well concealed.

Also, I moved the AquaClear 70's to the sides of the tank. Flow from the back to the front of the tank was pushing the substrate out of the way, right down to the glass.

I may have to pull that Hammer more to the center of the tank where it will get better light. Right now, I'm using an Orbit Marine LED but plan on upgrading, maybe to a Kessil AP700.

FullSizeRender.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As hard as I tried to keep my plumbing all schedule 80, it turned out to be a waste of money. As you can see, I mixed pieces as I got tired of having to wait for parts I forgot to arrive. I was getting excited and didn't want to wait anymore. Yes... I know... no one will see it... but I will now it is there. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

IMG_5242.JPG
I spray paint mine so everything matches, just an idea.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spray paint mine so everything matches, just an idea.

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure. You'd have to spray them as pieces and then assemble. But I worry about paint finding its way inside.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but I wasn't sure. You'd have to spray them as pieces and then assemble. But I worry about paint finding its way inside.
nearly all my plumbing is removable with unions, so I assembled and glued everything and then I will spray paint it. seems like the easiest and safest route.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 33 long is a great looking tank! Not sure I had ever seen one, following along..

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of this size tank and what you are doing with it. Looking forward to more updates.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back