My new carpets

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friends let me know that Galactic Coral in Houston have Gigantea Anemones a few weeks ago. I ordered two bright green Gigantea from them two weeks ago. They arrived overnight well pack and healthy. Both are doing well in my new 65 gal tank in my office.
I went to Houston for a quick trip to pick up my sons yesterday (3.5 hrs drive from Corpus Christi) and visit Galactic Coral in person. I was impressed that David Rains at Galactic Coral have quite a few healthy anemones. Various Gigantea and Haddoni, high price named BTA, and Magnifica. I was late for picking up my sons, so I did not stay for as long as I love too. He also have a trio of Macropharyngodon bipartitus, AKA Blue Star Leopard wrasse that seem to be active and healthy. I mention this since getting healthy Leopard wrasse is one of the harder things us reefers have to do if we want a harem of Leopard Wrasse in our tank.

I did not come away empty handed yesterday. I was able to talk to David and was able to purchase a very nice small Purple Haddoni. There were a numbers of anemones to choose from but my bank account cannot take too big of a hit.
The following are pictures of the three anemones I got from Galactic Coral. If anybody want Gigantea, Haddoni, Magnifica or brilliant BTA, you may want to give Galactic Coral in Houston a call.

I have never seen any LFS that have a numbers of healthy hard to keep anemones that are available for sale like I saw at Galactic Coral.

Purple Haddoni, the morning after I got him in my tank. Did not finish dripping him in until 2:00 AM, about 5 hrs ago
PurpleHaddoni2020080902.jpeg

Green Gigantea. Small only about 3-4 inches. Please don't pay any attention to the algae. This is a brand new tank set up with rock from the Corpus Christi Bay. There are no tang or any snail in the tank yet. That is a normal size coffee mug next to him.
GreenGigantea2020080902.jpg

Another Green Gigantea, about 4-5 inches. That is a giant mug he is on.
GreenGigantea2020080901.jpg

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple Haddoni looks nice. Did the owner say if these have been in captivity long or were they fresh imports?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple Haddoni looks nice. Did the owner say if these have been in captivity long or were they fresh imports?
I did not asked. They won't sale sick animals. There was a torch there that was not 100% and they did not have it for sell.
I know that this purple Haddoni was available for sale for 2+ weeks since he was there for sale when I bought the two Green Gigatnea 2 weeks ago.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not asked. They won't sale sick animals. There was a torch there that was not 100% and they did not have it for sell.
I know that this purple Haddoni was available for sale for 2+ weeks since he was there for sale when I bought the two Green Gigatnea 2 weeks ago.
Can you post updated pics of your giant purple and green gig? :)

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! Do you put them on mugs on purpose for ease of moving later on?
I don’t like to disturb anemone. Removing the from rock attachment is stressful for them IMO. I use mugs for temporary attachment most often. It is easy to move it around. Elevate the anemone to keep him apart from other animals and give it better water movement. Heavy and stable not move unless I move it and easy to get the anemone to move to the rock later. I also use the handle to trap the anemone so it attach to the mug and not float around and into my PH. I also always have these cheap mugs around.
We use what is inert and available but IMO there is nothing else I rather have a new anemone attach to.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friends let me know that Galactic Coral in Houston have Gigantea Anemones a few weeks ago. I ordered two bright green Gigantea from them two weeks ago. They arrived overnight well pack and healthy. Both are doing well in my new 65 gal tank in my office.
I went to Houston for a quick trip to pick up my sons yesterday (3.5 hrs drive from Corpus Christi) and visit Galactic Coral in person. I was impressed that David Rains at Galactic Coral have quite a few healthy anemones. Various Gigantea and Haddoni, high price named BTA, and Magnifica. I was late for picking up my sons, so I did not stay for as long as I love too. He also have a trio of Macropharyngodon bipartitus, AKA Blue Star Leopard wrasse that seem to be active and healthy. I mention this since getting healthy Leopard wrasse is one of the harder things us reefers have to do if we want a harem of Leopard Wrasse in our tank.

I did not come away empty handed yesterday. I was able to talk to David and was able to purchase a very nice small Purple Haddoni. There were a numbers of anemones to choose from but my bank account cannot take too big of a hit.
The following are pictures of the three anemones I got from Galactic Coral. If anybody want Gigantea, Haddoni, Magnifica or brilliant BTA, you may want to give Galactic Coral in Houston a call.

I have never seen any LFS that have a numbers of healthy hard to keep anemones that are available for sale like I saw at Galactic Coral.

Purple Haddoni, the morning after I got him in my tank. Did not finish dripping him in until 2:00 AM, about 5 hrs ago

Green Gigantea. Small only about 3-4 inches. Please don't pay any attention to the algae. This is a brand new tank set up with rock from the Corpus Christi Bay. There are no tang or any snail in the tank yet. That is a normal size coffee mug next to him.

I’ve been very happy with Galactic Coral. I got my two purple gigs from them and they have been great additions. Awesome find!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice acquisitions.

Why not move those office tank ones out of your sump and into the main display? Or are you thinking of setting up an office tank again?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice acquisitions.

Why not move those office tank ones out of your sump and into the main display? Or are you thinking of setting up an office tank again?
I am setting it up again. I use the office tank as a QT tank so to speak. Eventually I move one of the two home. I now have three bright Green Gigantea Anemones. Will keep two at home.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What price ranges for the various colors can we expect to pay for healthy specimens from there?
Please check with them. I was short on time and did not stay as long as I like too. Very reasonable prices.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very large carpet for years/ They are amazing but it killed so many of my fish, I won't have one again. I'll stick to BTA.

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First off I was blown away to find out that this was the famous OrionN who was in my store!! Around 18 years ago is when I believe I started following him on reef central. I was blown away by his anemones and the wealth of knowledge he shared. When he shared his Cypro antibiotic treatment it was a game changer for me and my success with keeping the impossible anemones. To be completely honest his anemones are what sucked me into the wormhole that is this hobby that I try to share with as many people as possible the right way. We have one of the truly great reefers here in OrionN and I wanted to point it out. Maybe one day we can have him be a part of one of our informational videos. Either way my family is greatful for your business and it was great meeting you in person!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Houston area just found this place online one of the few places I have not been to yet will definitely check them out

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Houston area just found this place online one of the few places I have not been to yet will definitely check them out
It was hard for me to find. One of the reason I was late picking up my sons was driving around to find this place. It is a tiny building with tiny sign. If you are looking for a large sign, you won't find it.
I use Google Map and did not find it, I have to call and was able to find it after I was told there is a "U-Haul" truck parking in front of it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back