My new project

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I use the Red Sea blue bucket and have found it takes around 150grams of salt per gallon of water. A small kitchen scale is very handy.

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the InTank chamber one media basket, flow diverter and false wall plug installed today.
New floss, new carbon and I REUSED the bio-balls and ChemPure Elite bag. Didn’t want to swap out everything all at once.
Now, let’s see how much more efficiently it filters. Also did my daily one gallon water change. So far, everything looks very happy in there after all the commotion! :p

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downloaded Snap Seed this morning and ordered a filter kit for my phone and iPad. Should be able to post up some decent photos soon, I hope! ;)

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Elephant Ear settling in. Also picked up two hairy shroom frags and a six lined wrasse, he’s still hiding right now!
96D8E63A-5CBC-4988-8027-1746930A3193.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is settling in nicely. I’m very excited to have some camera lens filters arriving on Monday. Can’t wait to get some decent photographs to post.

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m thinking this little Fluval skimmer is more trouble than it’s worth. Been fiddling with it since day one and really can’t seem to get it dialed in. I think I’m just going to remove it and use that chamber for additional filter media.
Also plugged the hole in the false wall today. I cut a piece of 1/8” Lexan the size of the chamber and inserted it between the false wall and the media basket.

I bought a PS2 brand new with my Evo and it sucks. Intank media basket so much better. I blocked the port into chamber two as well.

Last edited:

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your build. I went rimless with my Evo and updated lighting to a AI Prime 16HD. The stock lighting/cover was overheating my tank in the summer, even with Air Conditioning. I wanted a little better carbon and phosphate remover than just pulling through the media in chamber 1 so I setup a reactor and used the stock fluval return pump placed in chamber 2 to power the reactor. I do not need to turn it on much to keep levels low in this size tank, maybe an hour or two / week. You do a gallon water change a day? Cool...your nutrient levels will be low for sure. I perform roughly a 25% water change weekly. I battled GHA at months 4-6, depressing for sure but using Phosphate E for me cured that. With your daily water changes, you might not see GHA. I recommend you start getting in the habit of blowing off your rocks with a turkey baster 2 to 3 times a week. So much crud sits on the rock and ups your phosphate levels. Your testing will show low levels because it is not in your water column but it will be on your rock. Blasting the rock will get it out of there so you can filter/remove it with water changes.

BTW if you want a great source of reefing gear, check out bulkreefsupply.com. They have a lot of great videos/reviews as well! Happy reefing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your build. I went rimless with my Evo and updated lighting to a AI Prime 16HD. The stock lighting/cover was overheating my tank in the summer, even with Air Conditioning. I wanted a little better carbon and phosphate remover than just pulling through the media in chamber 1 so I setup a reactor and used the stock fluval return pump placed in chamber 2 to power the reactor. I do not need to turn it on much to keep levels low in this size tank, maybe an hour or two / week. You do a gallon water change a day? Cool...your nutrient levels will be low for sure. I perform roughly a 25% water change weekly. I battled GHA at months 4-6, depressing for sure but using Phosphate E for me cured that. With your daily water changes, you might not see GHA. I recommend you start getting in the habit of blowing off your rocks with a turkey baster 2 to 3 times a week. So much crud sits on the rock and ups your phosphate levels. Your testing will show low levels because it is not in your water column but it will be on your rock. Blasting the rock will get it out of there so you can filter/remove it with water changes.

BTW if you want a great source of reefing gear, check out bulkreefsupply.com. They have a lot of great videos/reviews as well! Happy reefing.
Yea! My wife already made me pick her up a new turkey baster. I’ve been using hers every other day to blow off the rocks like you said. LOL!

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting bored today while watching my TN Titans get beat up by the Steelers so I made a tinted Lexan tank emblem!
A916F961-1D30-428D-B7E9-2A2F90986D8C.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on picking up another multi head Frogspawn this weekend. Going to frag it into several pieces to place around the tank. Frogspawn has always been one of my favorites. Love the way they flow in the current.
I ordered a bag of frag plugs and some brand new diamond coated cutoff wheels for the Dremmel.
Wish me luck, I haven’t fragged a coral in over 10 years.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back