My Red Sea Reefer 250

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Just planning on soft corals and anemones. I am going to start looking for nice zoas, shrooms, rock nems and gorgonians. I don't want to worry about dosing/testing for this tank and I will do frequent water changes to keep up with all the necessary elements.

For fish, not positive yet. I have been doing a ton of research on Orange Spot File Fish and it would be great to get a pair of them, but I am a little nervous about their feeding habits. If I don't go with them, I will get a pair of either the ORA Radial or ORA Whitespotted Pygmy File Fish. Outside of that, I really want to get a pair of Blood Orange Clowns and a Tomini or Chevron tang. Possibly a couple nice wrasses.

I can already visualize it! Sounds really neat. I wish you the best of luck!

OP
OP
stscream4187

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the water in and all set up with sand. This thing is dead silent once you get it locked in right. So happy, can't wait until the cloudiness goes away.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455410991.282483.jpg

OP
OP
stscream4187

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any advice for changing water? I want to make this as easy as possible. My water will be mixed etc. in the basement and I want a way to get it upstairs easily. I looked into the Python No-Spill kit and this will be great for removing water from the tank, but adding the new saltwater back in will not be possible with it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

OP
OP
stscream4187

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on the water changing advice??

Either way, I got the skimmer hooked up tonight. Vertex Omega 150. This thing is a beast and I can't wait to get it dialed in.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455678552.174021.jpg

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And thanks for the advice. Is it the standard 40 breeder? I only plan on keeping soft corals, Zoas and shrooms in here, maybe some macro algae. What do you have in yours that needed more light?

It's the cadlights 45 gaollon (between 40 and 45 gallons so I just round down) 35x17x17. Those primes will be enough for what you're planning. I'm using one of mine as a fuge light and I keep softies and algaes in there with no issues. I have SPS, LPS, and softies. SPS will stay alive under the primes but they won't color up to their full potential and they won't have as much polyp extension.

OP
OP
stscream4187

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the cadlights 45 gaollon (between 40 and 45 gallons so I just round down) 35x17x17. Those primes will be enough for what you're planning. I'm using one of mine as a fuge light and I keep softies and algaes in there with no issues. I have SPS, LPS, and softies. SPS will stay alive under the primes but they won't color up to their full potential and they won't have as much polyp extension.

Great, thanks. For how small the Primes are they seem to put out a lot of light so far.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any advice for changing water? I want to make this as easy as possible. My water will be mixed etc. in the basement and I want a way to get it upstairs easily. I looked into the Python No-Spill kit and this will be great for removing water from the tank, but adding the new saltwater back in will not be possible with it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

You can always buy a pump for the mixed water container and buy pvc fittings to make the python system work to pump up the fresh saltwater. That's what I did with a mag 24 I had laying around

OP
OP
stscream4187

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always buy a pump for the mixed water container and buy pvc fittings to make the python system work to pump up the fresh saltwater. That's what I did with a mag 24 I had laying around

That's a good idea, thanks. I will work on getting that done.

Also, great to see someone so close to me in PA! I am in North Huntingdon. Haven't really met anyone locally in the hobby yet, I might be bugging you once I get this tank going if you don't mind!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, great to see someone so close to me in PA! I am in North Huntingdon. Haven't really met anyone locally in the hobby yet, I might be bugging you once I get this tank going if you don't mind!

Oh nice! Yea I'm pretty much right up the road! Sure hit me up sometime!

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This tank should turn out pretty sweet! I'm in the Harrisburg area in pa

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back