My Reef Savvy V2

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. I would really love to go with ReefSavvy but the price is so much higher then others like AGE who I am really leaning towards. I really cant see the Savvy being that much better for 3 times the cost but maybe I am just being cheap lol Pictures like yours makes them look absolutely stunning though. Surprisingly, I am trying to limit myself on total gallons, mainly due to water change amounts. I like to do around 10% a week and with that I would be over 15 gallons a week including sump volume. I am not to worried about water stability with this size, my current system is around 75 gallons and that's not been too much of an issue for me.
Really I am trying to find the sweet spot between length for swimming fishes and depth "front to back" because I love the look and room to play with a deeper tank. Looking at it that way, for me, I don't see an extra 6" making much of a difference expect for adding more water to my water change schedule.

As for lighting. I am currently using Kessil 360's. I am not unhappy with them and I love the shimmer they produce but as always I am curious about what others could do for me. Right now I plan on using 3 Kessils but have thought hard about GHL's new fixture they came out with. Either way I will build a slim canopy to match the stand and hide the lights.

Basically I guess I am limiting the size of my upgrade based mainly on water changes. If that wasn't a concern I would love a 6' tank but that's just too much water I feel and I would really like to stay at a maximum of 15 gallons a week. For a sump I am about settled on a new design by Elite. They will be building a 40" model with a roller mat integrated in it. Looks really promising and delays another maintenance item.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
15g a week would be fine with his tank
Sump volume only helps you
You wouldn't necessarily have to change out more water

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15g a week would be fine with his tank
Sump volume only helps you
You wouldn't necessarily have to change out more water
Ide have to agree there's no downside to more water volume when concerning water quality other then cost (more salt,carbon Gfo etc) but with your rollermat im sure you can cut back water changes. Zaffor has a very similar sized tank and he actually cut back on water changes.

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know I guess I'm going to have to look into it a little bit deeper.
@Zaffor how many gallons a week do you do on your Elos and @Chris155hp whats your maintenance plan?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5407.JPG

OUT With the old
IN with the NEW!!!
Gorgeous Tank! Congrats on your upgrade... :D

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got more rock last night. It is more then I need but I'll just sell off the extra after I'm done m building my aquascape. This rock looks amazing in person with lifelike multi colored volume algae purple pinks reds and dark spots! It's very easy to creat cave like structures and avoid the "wall of rocks" look. It's also 100% pure aragonite based which is perfect for biological filtration due to the porosity. Best stuff I have ever seen in person

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh nice!

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is amazing btw for rockwork (dry or wet) and super strong! Stronger then any epoxy I have ever used. And MUCH easier to work with. While it is reusable, idk how you would ever be able to considering how strong it bonds to rocks. Once it's cooled, the only way to get it off is break the rocks it seams. Yes it bonds that strongly! I have found the best way prepare it is to heat a pot of water on the stove. This way you don't constantly have to be microwaving a bowl of water every time you need a new piece. Also I found that heating up the new beads first and mixing well then reheating gives the best uniform color. You can use it even make colums and support beams

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be Chris Benner? Looks like his work... I have virtually the same stand.
I actually have no idea who did mine. Never actually met him. I just told Felix what I wanted and he delivered. I do believe my stand was the first do that "design" with triple hinges and no center brace. According to Felix this design is now standard. Just tells you how long I had to wait for my tank. Placed the order Feb 2 2016

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's good to know I guess I'm going to have to look into it a little bit deeper.
@Zaffor how many gallons a week do you do on your Elos and @Chris155hp whats your maintenance plan?

Sorry i didnt notice you had mentioned me also. I use the DOS to change 1gal per day right now. I was doing 2 before but tank was way too clean and sps was seemingly starved for nutrients. Its easy to change the amount in Fusion and I would just see what the tank needs and adjust accordingly

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He mentions the plastic stuff but not his ole bud who helped him out!
*sigh*
Chris take another photo, that one doesnt look like it does in person

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back