My SPS Colonies & Frags

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted to start a thread over here in sps land because that is the part of reefing that passionately holds my interest throughout 15 years in the hobby. I started with the basic starter corals but eventually found my way to acro land. Twice I had to reduce my involvement in my tanks due to life circumstance ; so I would try to change over to less demanding corals just to keep the tanks active. I was glad that I stayed involved and kept the tanks wet but acans and zoos did not satisfy my itch.

My pictures in my past thread were very low quality and were very hard on the eyes. My cell phones apparently do not take good pics. Even I am disappointed when I look at my thread after seeing the incredible sps systems in this forum. Though my acros may not be world class, I have thought they were better looking then my photos show and deserved a better effort on my part.

A friend of mine and his wife have a real camera and skills to know how to use it. They came over and took pics that even though they are raw and unedited, they are a thousand times better then anything I have done.

This would be a good time to start a thread with pics that are pretty close to what I see in person. A shade or two off in places but overall accurate. Also, I have given away almost all of my Lps with a few exceptions, mostly chalice.

A few Pics then I will describe the set up.

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 g display and a 40 g frag tank both plumbed into a 40 breeder sump.
The sump contains my skimmer , two filter socks, and about 12 L of matrix.
Each tank has identical lighting, two SB ReefLights 32" hung parallel to each other. That makes approximately 250 3w emitters over each tank. The main areas for coral are getting 300-500 par on the bottom portion of the tanks.
I use Aqua Forrest Comp 1, 2, 3; along with their NP Pro and Pro Bio S [carbon and bacteria] and Fishey V. I also dose 2 drops of Phosphate RX daily.
I try to run a very simple system hand dosing twice a day, including fresh water top off.
In the past I found my best colors were at higher nutrient levels; about 20/25 nitrates, .018 or so phosphates. I had better primary color saturation but no secondary colors on my acros.
Now I have been running at 5 nitrates, 0 - .03 phosphates. The primary is not as dominant but I am getting second colors and better colored tips then at the higher nutrient level.

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every piece I have started off as a one inch frag. Growth is usually slow the first year. Most are no name corals or purchased off the cheap frag rack. A few have a name or lineage of some sort. I don't like to spend a lot and I believe the challenge is to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary.

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Im just a little jealous of your sps colonies.
Thank you.
Though these all started as single twig frags.
A friend now wants to get me some colonies from an importer to grow them out for him. I always felt that I would be cheating if I started with a larger piece. I am intrigued with the idea of getting a piece before they have been picked over, prices raised, and labeled with a comic book name.

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, amazing healthy acros!! I love posts with pics. That 2nd acro is stunning.
Thank you for your kind words. Keeping them healthy is probably the first step to looking beautiful regardless of how expensive it cost. I have lost many pieces in the past due to lapses in husbandry. I will probably make some costly mistakes in the future. I just hope that I do not repeat the same mistakes again.

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another frag tank rookie. This fella has been in the frag tank for about a month. I bought him on the $15.00 rack at the LFS. Brown and tan with a touch of green on the base. It looked like some pink color was trying to get on the tip but could not quite get there. I believe this was from the low par that is on that tank in the LFS. Anyway, he has colored into a pink milli and encrousted nicely.

_DSC2732 by kev low, on Flickr

OP
OP
K

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a trend in buying acros from a low light diplay in the LFS. The corals all lack color but they are healthy enough in appearance. Because they are tan, they usually sit on the rack for a while and have healed from the cutting. It appears they are just sitting and waiting for adequate light, food, and a stable environment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back