Votes: 143 39.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - regression to the mean was what I meant. It isn’t clear to me whether that’s what @rkpetersen meant or not. From his post, it sounded like he was talking about increased precision, but maybe not.

I’m sure it’s been done, but I haven’t seen an analysis of the actual accuracy and precision of the Trident’s measurements. Have you seen one? Along with that, it would be interesting to see if the accuracy and/or precision are affected by the testing interval.
The Precision is posted (last time I looked) - and its similar to others. the accuracy - doesn't seem to be posted by many manufacturers. Including the one I just ordered (@MindStream)

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS also added it to their test kit shootout videos that they completed a few weeks ago, so I'd recommend checking out their comparison of kits to Trident.

I've had the trident for 3 months or so now and have been loving it. The readings do get funky towards the end of reagent bottles (or it just happens to sometimes correlate with air bubbles in the intake line?), but I've never actually had to calibrate the trident, every time I manually test with salifert it lines up really closely, and it makes dialing up and down my calcium reactor super simple.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen Neptune’s specs, I was more thinking of independent tests. Knowing accuracy would be nice, but for our purposes, precision is probably more important than accuracy, as long as it’s reasonably close.

BRS’s video compared several test kits but they had a major flaw in their methodology -Instead of using a reference lab or other standard to judge the accuracy, they simply took the average of all the tests and assumed that was the true value. They also didn’t do a great job of measuring precision. It basically invalidated the entire video.

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen Neptune’s specs, I was more thinking of independent tests. Knowing accuracy would be nice, but for our purposes, precision is probably more important than accuracy, as long as it’s reasonably close.

BRS’s video compared several test kits but they had a major flaw in their methodology -Instead of using a reference lab or other standard to judge the accuracy, they simply took the average of all the tests and assumed that was the true value. They also didn’t do a great job of measuring precision. It basically invalidated the entire video.
Though i thought it was a great video, I agree it was dumb of them to use the average of all users. I don't understand why they would do that other then its easier that way. How is that Precision? They should of used some expensive, highly accurate , commercial testing machine and calibrate that often.

EliteSocial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
Just got one yesterday.
Seems the test params of Trident are pretty off - I may need to calibrate.

Anyway, seems you have had about 6 months or so. Would love to hear your opinion now!
Thanks

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
Just got one yesterday.

Anyway, seems you have had about 6 months or so. Would love to hear your opinion now!
Thanks

Run it for 5 to 7 days, then calibrate.
My Trident has matched my Hanna checkers within tenths after calibration.
The Trident has been the shining star of my Apex system.
The rest of the probes and ATK well that's for another thread....

U

User1

View Badges
Hey,
Just got one yesterday.

Thanks

Define "pretty off". What did you compare with and was the manual test done at or around the same time as the automated? I've had mine now for several months and it has been pretty consistent. The only time my CA drifted was when my reagent bottle was low and ignored the alert from the dashboard.

When I compare say ALK manually using my Hanna checker it is right on the Tridents numbers. I also sent in a ICP test to ATI - I do about 2 a year, using a water sample at the same time the trident fired. Even those results came back almost spot on. Make sure dosing line is on the other side of the sump or trident draw line (water sample line). Make sure there are not a lot of bubbles in the sump or that your skimmer empties in the draw line area. Little things like that will need to be looked at regardless of trident or other automated tool.

EliteSocial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet, guess I just panicked seeing some really weird numbers this morning.
I will run for 7 then follow through with the calibration!
thanks

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. Instructions also call this out.
My new instructions said calibrate immediately after verifying 2 precise test, so it depends on which solution he has.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine also. No more testing. And with my doses. I tweak it every week or so. Very happy.

U

User1

View Badges
My new instructions said calibrate immediately after verifying 2 precise test, so it depends on which solution he has.

Are you referring to reagent change or the tridents first installation? I thought they wanted the 7 - 10 days because it is calibrated as part of the final checks before shipping. It needs time in your tank based on your installation and position.

Reagent replacement is different. At least that is what did and followed. Maybe they have since changed.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to reagent change or the tridents first installation? I thought they wanted the 7 - 10 days because it is calibrated as part of the final checks before shipping. It needs time in your tank based on your installation and position.

Reagent replacement is different. At least that is what did and followed. Maybe they have since changed.
Good point, actually I don’t know for new purchases.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would need a person who just recieved their unit to verify this.
I have had my Trident for a while, and my unit said wait several days before INITIAL calibration.
I am sure that has to do with the jostling from transporting it, and the aclamation to its new envirnment. Including everthing from tempratur, humidity level and even altitude.

These factors would not be the same just for a reagent change, as the unit itself has settled into its environment.
I have always waited 24 hours after a Full three bottle reagent change before I calibrate the unit.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall the first couple of days on a new unit you DO NOT calibrate. but rather allow the unit to operate for like 72 hours? Then you do the calibration.. I did not that with my latest shipment of reagents the enclosed instructions had a note to calibrate with new operations. So bottom line.. If I am correct new unit you do not calibrate until like days later. On units that have been operating you will be getting a notice in your reagents box of A B and C notice to calibrate again..

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would need a person who just recieved their unit to verify this.
I have had my Trident for a while, and my unit said wait several days before INITIAL calibration.
I am sure that has to do with the jostling from transporting it, and the aclamation to its new envirnment. Including everthing from tempratur, humidity level and even altitude.

These factors would not be the same just for a reagent change, as the unit itself has settled into its environment.
I have always waited 24 hours after a Full three bottle reagent change before I calibrate the unit.

I received my unit 2 weeks ago. It says wait 7-10 days before calibration. It said it was calibrted before it left

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The modified reagent replacement linked above are for when reagents need to be replaced AND you received a slip of paper indicating that the reagents need the modified instructions. For customers that just received a new Trident (and are not replacing reagents), you will follow the instructions in the video and calibrate a couple days after installation.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have my money lined up for the moment they allow single daily testing. I feel it is necessary with the scarcity of the reagents at times. it would be nice to be able to drop it to 1 test a day to prolong what you have left, and decrease the likelihood of not having replacement reagent to restock before running out. Hmmmm I wonder if you can use the 24v power adapter instead of the onelink cable , and connect to the energy bar, and just power it off during the time of day you don't want it testing?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back