My Yellow Dwarf Lionfish

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Lionfish........I miss the one I had.....They are rarely collected and are seasonal from the locations that they exist.....I spent almost a year looking for mine and luckily I found a on-line vendor to hand pick me one if they saw one.......They can be extremely painful but if you are not allergic to stuff like bee stings you should see swelling, redness and possibly necrosis around the sting site....I only know this from a LFS guy that had gotten stung the day before I talked to him and he showed me pics of his hand and he showed me the spot where he got stung.....It lasted about 3-4 days and eventually passed.....Also they don't always inject poison that is all based on how much pressure is put on the base of the spine. The bottom of the spine is a sac that contains the poison and if enough pressure is applied it will send the poison in the hypodermic like spine....Once it gets used to you the threat will be less.....I had a 16" violent that after the years I could hand feed him rub his chin and belly.....They turn into almost like dogs.......

That is one of the brightest yellow dwarfs I have seen.....Great pick-up I would have picked it up without question as well.....

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to pet the one I had. I got stung once but like azurel said it was a light sting and it only had a mild effect on me. My brother was stung much worse but he went to the emergency room for precaution. I am not sure what they did but he only had minor swelling. But it hurt.

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they reef safe??

Yes as I said in my earlier post they are "reef-safe" as they will not bother any of your corals but they can possibly eat your shrimp, crabs and any small fish....

Beautiful Lionfish........I miss the one I had.....They are rarely collected and are seasonal from the locations that they exist.....I spent almost a year looking for mine and luckily I found a on-line vendor to hand pick me one if they saw one.......They can be extremely painful but if you are not allergic to stuff like bee stings you should see swelling, redness and possibly necrosis around the sting site....I only know this from a LFS guy that had gotten stung the day before I talked to him and he showed me pics of his hand and he showed me the spot where he got stung.....It lasted about 3-4 days and eventually passed.....Also they don't always inject poison that is all based on how much pressure is put on the base of the spine. The bottom of the spine is a sac that contains the poison and if enough pressure is applied it will send the poison in the hypodermic like spine....Once it gets used to you the threat will be less.....I had a 16" violent that after the years I could hand feed him rub his chin and belly.....They turn into almost like dogs.......

That is one of the brightest yellow dwarfs I have seen.....Great pick-up I would have picked it up without question as well.....

Some good info here man!!! I am always looking at those spines and they deffiantly look scary up close lol! But this will give me a reason not to put my hands in my tank so often!!!!! :tongue:

I use to pet the one I had. I got stung once but like azurel said it was a light sting and it only had a mild effect on me. My brother was stung much worse but he went to the emergency room for precaution. I am not sure what they did but he only had minor swelling. But it hurt.

Now did you get stung just having your hand in the tank and you cornered him? or did he approach you and sting? Basically who's fault was it? lol

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work with lionfish frequently, and have never seen one come at me aggressively. For the most part, they just hang out.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've also heard that the barb may break off after stinging/getting stuck in your body....this is where the real problem occurs becacuse you'll need X-rays and then surgery to remove the barb =c)

They are very much like dogs....

Attachments

• melvin.jpg
    melvin.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard that the barb may break off after stinging/getting stuck in your body....this is where the real problem occurs becacuse you'll need X-rays and then surgery to remove the barb =c)

They are very much like dogs....

Yea that is what I heard also......... I would hate for that to happen! Man that would suck!

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this thread I may just get one. I have a canopy on my 125 reef so I know the kids wont get in that one.

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was searching on youtube for lionfish stings and got these lol!

Some bad language in this one so beware if you have kids around....
[video=youtube;sh0yUXFg9EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0yUXFg9EE[/video]
[video=youtube;e3o8vw5hFUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3o8vw5hFUE[/video]

hawkfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bee sting my *** my whole arm blew up to triple the size and my finger tip turned black and fell off after 3 or 4 week and the 6-8 hrs of burning up my arm was unreal!!!!! DON'T TAKE SHORT CUTS AND HAND FEED YOUR LION WITH AN UNBOUND PAPER CLIP INSTEAD OF A FEEDING PRONG!!!

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bee sting my *** my whole arm blew up to triple the size and my finger tip turned black and fell off after 3 or 4 week and the 6-8 hrs of burning up my arm was unreal!!!!! DON'T TAKE SHORT CUTS AND HAND FEED YOUR LION WITH AN UNBOUND PAPER CLIP INSTEAD OF A FEEDING PRONG!!!

Crazy! Did the stinger break off in your finger or something? And what kind of lionfish was it? Seems the bigger ones are a lot more painful.....

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think people forget what lion fish is being talked about....*sigh*

It's funny when I first read that I missed a few key words and I thought your arm blew up and fell off :)

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got stung by my fuzzy dwarf lionfish it felt like someone was driving nails under my finger nails and the burn oh the burn up my arm all instantly the best and fastest way to relieve the sting is to tunicate your arm asap and soak your whole arm in as hot of water as you can stand this will break down the toxins quickly and help relieve you of your pain
When I got stung I had 4 puncture/injection site I ripped off my belt wrapped it around my arm ran water in the sink hot hot water and filled it up and soaked it for about an hour then the pain subsided but my fingers were tingly like the falling asleep felling for about four days no fun but I love lionfish!

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding him to get him away from live food? Beautiful fish! I've always had a thing for lions and have always loved the reef tanks they've been a part of. Nice pick up!

OP
OP
Breakin Newz

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been off live for awhile now it took about 3 weeks to get him off the live stuff, he eats frozen krill and even the freeze dried krill, and frozen silverslids.....

He is my favorite fish that i have ever owned!

Back