Mystic Monti help

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a mystic monti but 24 hours later and no poly extension. Started it off at the bottom of the tank. Moved it to a different spot to see if there is any change. Any suggestions on placement? Do they normally take a while to open?
IMG_6898.JPG

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find they color up nicer under medium light.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mystic monti and a rainbow monti that was doing a little better before, both seem unhappy. Barely any polyp extension. Any pointers to make these guys happier. I still have the mystic on the bottom, the rainbow monti is encrusted on a rock so can’t move it but it seemed happier before. Maybe it’s time for a water change? NO3 at 8ppm and PO4 at .02. Alk is at 9.1 but has come down over the last two weeks from 11.5. Calcium has also come down some from 450 to 430. Adjusting kalk dosing to try and keep them from dropping any more. Mag is at 1300

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about other corals in the tank ? maybe an ICP can indicate some shifts in some parameters.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to do that. For the most part other corals seem to be doing good. I have a sunset monti that’s amazing and have some acros with growth and color. Does an icp test give you everything in your water? I wouldn’t know how to know whats good or bad other than the basic components I’m aware of. Where’s the best place to buy an icp test kit?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it tests around 40 different items and on few instances I had things shift a bit due to bad test kits or things that accumulated in tank for some reason so ICP helped pinpoint issues like: Tin, Copper, Aluminum, as well as many things that can go off with dosing or contamination...
there are few companies that do ICP testing, you basically need to buy the vials to ship water in. Check with your LFS maybe they have those is store...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mystic monti and a rainbow monti that was doing a little better before, both seem unhappy. Barely any polyp extension. Any pointers to make these guys happier. I still have the mystic on the bottom, the rainbow monti is encrusted on a rock so can’t move it but it seemed happier before. Maybe it’s time for a water change? NO3 at 8ppm and PO4 at .02. Alk is at 9.1 but has come down over the last two weeks from 11.5. Calcium has also come down some from 450 to 430. Adjusting kalk dosing to try and keep them from dropping any more. Mag is at 1300
I think once your tank is a bit more stable then the montis will come around. We had a large colony of mystic sunset and once settled it grew very fast. Had some alk swings and the coral went from a nice bright pink to a brown/orange color.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it tests around 40 different items and on few instances I had things shift a bit due to bad test kits or things that accumulated in tank for some reason so ICP helped pinpoint issues like: Tin, Copper, Aluminum, as well as many things that can go off with dosing or contamination...
there are few companies that do ICP testing, you basically need to buy the vials to ship water in. Check with your LFS maybe they have those is store...

Found an ICP test kit on amazon that includes the postage. What’s the average cost of these? This one is $45

ATI ICP-OES Complete Saltwater Water Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AS2D5ME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_u9fYCbHN7K7S4

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe that’s not a bad price, but again I live in a different region and have to take my samples from Beirut to dubai to be shipped to triton :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 52 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back