Myths and Misinformation - fish edition

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are often repeated bits of information that are perpetuated by people using old or incorrect information. Once it becomes "common knowledge" it continues to spread through the Internet, often being changed or over-simplified in the process. These are some examples of misinformation about fish that are frequently seen online:

Mixing medications with Focus+food – this cannot work unless you calculate the dose properly. General Cure should not be dosed orally, as the two components have two different oral doses. This article discusses that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

Using dietary supplements as a “medication” the best diet in the world will not stop active infections – this is called the “chicken soup” syndrome. A proper diet is of course important for long-term fish health, it's just that changing to "great diet" will not stop active disease. Dietary deficiencies cause nutritional diseases, but that does not mean that a great diet cures parasitic disease.

Adding vitamins or food additives to the aquarium’s water – this just feeds the heterotrophic bacteria, aquatic animals, if they uptake it at all, do so slower than the bacteria does.

Nitrite is toxic to marine fish – ammonia is highly toxic to marine fish at a high pH, but the salts in the water completely de-toxify nitrite ions for marine fish. Nitrite IS deadly to freshwater fish, unless some salt is added to the water.

76 day fallow period (or longer) for Cryptocaryon – published in a paper where the co-author was also the editor for the journal. The original study was from a PhD thesis that isn’t widely available. 45 to 60 days at 81 degrees F. is a more reasonable fallow period. Fallow periods for other diseases are different.

Ramp up medications slowly – too many fish die from disease if you take too long, dealers don’t do this, should you? (the only exception is salt when you are raising the salinity or the old ionic copper/citric acid solutions).

Drip acclimating shipped fish – not if there is high ammonia. Best to match the temperature, pH and salinity and move the fish directly over and then acclimate them (with no ammonia) to your tank.

Tank Transfer Method (TTM) – this method does work, but in my opinion, it works best for ich (Cryptocaryon) and not for egg laying flukes at all. It can be very rough on fish due to ammonia and excessive handling, and already stressed fish being housed in small containers. Remember that lateral viewing of new fish is a vital tool for diagnosis....top down views in buckets or totes do not give you a good enough view of how the fish is doing. Then, just when is TTM useful given the logistics of treating diseases? If you use it as part of a quarantine process, you still need a single tank to run the fish through additional quarantine for flukes. If your DT develops ich and you want to use TTM, you can't do that and just put the fish back into the DT, the ich will still be active. That means you would run TTM, but then need to move the fish to another tank during the proper fallow period for the DT.

Using RODI and no aeration for FW dips – use aerated, pH and temperature balanced water in all cases. Tap water is fine!

Using black mollies as “canaries” – really only screens for ich, Cryptocaryon, and can introduce euryhaline trematodes into the system.

Mortality caused by medications, years after application. Copper, formalin and cyanide have all been implicated in fish loss years after exposure – this is not borne out by histopathology or veterinary necropsy. Public aquariums all have comprehensive, proactive quarantine/treatment protocols, yet they have some of the longest-lived fish. I've done three studies since 1983 that all show that latent cyanide mortality (while often severe) always manifests itself within 30 to 50 days of exposure. Long term copper exposure has been shown to cause damage to fish, but this is ionic, not chelated copper, and the toxicity appeared during or shortly after the copper exposure.

“Stray voltage” causes fish loss or health issues – This is a red herring, stray or induced voltage (typically < 50 VAC) has no measurable affect on marine fish, as they are not grounded, so there is no electrical potential. Stray voltage has been ruled out as a cause of HLLE. True electrical shorts can harm or kill fish, as well as people. All aquariums must be plugged into GFI circuits.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Before using or repeating any of the following information, please research it more thoroughly. This is misinformation frequently seen online:

Mixing medications with focus+food – this cannot work unless you calculate the dose properly. General Cure cannot be dosed orally, as the two components have two different oral doses.

Using dietary supplements as a “medication” the best diet in the world will not stop active infections – this is called the “chicken soup” syndrome.

Adding vitamins or food additives to the aquarium’s water – this just feeds the heterotrophic bacteria, aquatic animals, if they uptake it at all, do so slower than the bacteria does.

Nitrite is toxic to marine fish – ammonia is highly toxic to marine fish at a high pH, but the salts in the water completely de-toxify nitrite ions for marine fish. Nitrite IS deadly to freshwater fish, unless some salt is added to the water.

76 day fallow period (or longer) for Cryptocaryon – published in a paper where the co-author was also the editor for the journal. The original study was from a PhD thesis that isn’t available. 45 to 60 days at 81 degrees F. is a more reasonable fallow period.

Ramp up medications slowly – too many fish die from disease if you take too long, dealers don’t do this, should you? (the only exception is salt when you are raising the salinity).

Drip acclimating shipped fish – not if there is high ammonia. Best to match the temperature, pH and salinity and move the fish directly over and then acclimate them (with no ammonia) to your tank.

Tank Transfer Method (TTM) – only works for ich (in some cases) and not for egg laying flukes at all, can be very rough on fish due to ammonia and excessive handling, and already stressed fish being housed in buckets.

Using RODI and no aeration for FW dips – use aerated pH balanced water in all cases. Tap water is fine!

Using black mollies as “canaries” – really only screens for ich, Cryptocaryon, and can introduce euryhaline trematodes into the system.

Mortality caused by medications, years after application. Copper, formalin and cyanide have all been implicated in fish loss years after exposure – this is not borne out by histopathology.

“Stray voltage” causes fish loss or health issues – This is a red herring, stray or induced voltage has no affect on fish, as they are not grounded, so there is no electrical potential. True electrical shorts can harm fish, as well as people. All aquariums must be plugged into GFI circuits.
..... and some of these still argued by persons especially the fallow as well as ramping because XXX site says so (from 2013) and Metro cures everything

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Stray voltage” causes fish loss or health issues
Thank you! I have never believed this as I had 50 volts in a tank and everything was fine. I only found out when I got zapped. No one has ever been able to provide any documentation but people keep repeating it. Gotta love the misinfonet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using RODI and no aeration for FW dips – use aerated pH balanced water in all cases. Tap water is fine!

This is an excellent write-up - one comment / question - I assume you mean temperature adjusted dechlorinated /de-chloramined tap water?

I have another (potential) myth:

Adding bacterial supplements increases tank-biodiversity, and increased biodiversity should be a goal (a primary as compared to a secondary goal. Of course having a variety of microorganisms, etc would seem to be helpful. I think it's been shown that adding bacteria, etc to a tank (or adding parasites to stimulate immunity, etc) but especially bacteria - does not increase biodiversity - and can cause other problems.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dietary supplements and fresh or live diet is not to replace medication when necessary, it is to support the natural immune system. Some issues do not require medications, some do, for those that don't a proper diet and supplementation may be what is needed.

There are some species that will react poorly, even to death when medications are dose in full strength. When a scorp has internal parasites they must be treated or they will die. Some will also die right away in full strength general cure or prazi pro is used. These species will do better and even been seen to be 100% successfully by splitting the dose into 3rds. You must ramp up over several hours to 12 hours to keep the strength of the dose viable.

I challenge anyone that still wants to use copper on species which are considered ambush predators or predators that have a different metabolism by a fast/gorge eating cycle and a sedentary lifestyle. When they die and it will happen much quicker than years, do a dissection and see the liver damage for yourself, if you aren't versed on dissection, you can see examples on you tube. Another challenge, show me some lions that survived copper treatment, years later.

Not always black and white, while it is not optimum sometimes there is a necessity in mixing meds with focus. If the fish is already in the tank and can't be removed for some reason or another, While not 100% it is better than watching internal parasites kill your fish and spread to others. Many have had success with metro+focus including myself.

An expanded explanation, while you do have to be concerned with the ammonia with shipped fish you also can't dump a fish shipped in 1.016 to 1.025 without likely death. You match and transfer fish into a separate container with fresh water, then do your acclimation if raising the sg.

This hobby is not absolute and regardless of how much we think our way is the only right way, people do have success practicing methods in which we do not.

Last edited:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great points to help alleviate the spread of bad information by proving the information that has been studied and recorded beyond just anecdotal assumptions!

“Stray voltage” causes fish loss or health issues – This is a red herring, stray or induced voltage has no affect on fish, as they are not grounded, so there is no electrical potential. True electrical shorts can harm fish, as well as people. All aquariums must be plugged into GFI circuits.
I understand that the fish are not grounded so will not be shocked just being in the water if there is stray voltage, but I've been wondering if there are any studies that indicate whether or not fish could sense stray voltage with their lateral line and be stressed by it, thus potentially allowing health issues through reduced immunity?
Is it thoroughly proven that stray voltage has no effect on the fish at all?

To be clear, I am just asking the question with no implications, as I am just curious and have no known prior experience or evidence.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dietary supplements and fresh or live diet is not to replace medication when necessary, it is to support the natural immune system. Some issues do not require medications, some do, for those that don't a proper diet and supplementation may be what is needed.
MY comments - dietary supplements are a waste of money. Whether as a medication or otherwise. Of course one has to have a balanced fish diet. There are numerous aquarist articles explaining - why the trace element addition does not work.
I challenge anyone that still wants to use copper on species which are considered ambush predators or predators that have a different metabolism by a fast/gorge eating cycle and a sedentary lifestyle.
1. you provide no definition of 'anbush predators'. 2. I think there are many species on which copper quarantine is not recommended - and I think a lot of the species you mention - which to me is not a common term to the community -
Not always black and white, while it is not optimum sometimes there is a necessity in mixing meds with focusI

I think the point was - if you're going to mix medications with focus - you should be dosing it per fish - and per measurement - in other words - its impossible - apparently you disagree - however if you have x mg of YY in a gram of food - how do you ensure that the selected sick fish will eat the appropriate dosage --- In other words - IMHO you are incorrect

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great points to help alleviate the spread of bad information by proving the information that has been studied and recorded beyond just anecdotal assumptions!

By who? Just because it's been repeated over and over doesn't make it true. My studies in copper toxicity has been compiled over 2 decades and many dozens of data points. They find out many times the hard way, but rarely admit it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By who? Just because it's been repeated over and over doesn't make it true. My studies in copper toxicity has been compiled over 2 decades and many dozens of data points. They find out many times the hard way, but rarely admit it.
I would suggest you post your results in the experimental section of R2R - if you don't know where it is - it's highly listed. But - I would say - there has to be an experimental design, a protocol and the results.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY comments - dietary supplements are a waste of money. Whether as a medication or otherwise. Of course one has to have a balanced fish diet. There are numerous aquarist articles explaining - why the trace element addition does not work.

Do you believe supplements are useless for humans? I state in many of my threads that I don't use supplements and rely on a combination of fresh and live foods. But I have found that many times to help people you must give them options that they can adhere to, if they are not going to feed fatty fish for whatever reason, then injecting their food with necessary efas is a better option than nothing. Do you disagree that fish absorb elements form the water column?, I've seen this to be true by digestive issues being alleviated by raising mg. You can't make it either this way or you're wrong, I;ve learned that myself. I've seen my naturalistic way to have worked for me over 30 years, and I've achieved success with certain species beyond anyone else I have ever known.

1. you provide no definition of 'anbush predators'. 2. I think there are many species on which copper quarantine is not recommended - and I think a lot of the species you mention - which to me is not a common term to the community -

When I write my threads on these subjects, I list the exact species, this post was implied to be in the broader sense.

I think the point was - if you're going to mix medications with focus - you should be dosing it per fish - and per measurement - in other words - its impossible - apparently you disagree - however if you have x mg of YY in a gram of food - how do you ensure that the selected sick fish will eat the appropriate dosage --- In other words - IMHO you are incorrect

My success and others may have something to say about calling us wrong. I specifically mentioned the situation where it may be necessary and exacting the meds and disease which was being addressed. Again the absolute, this is the way and that's that, sorry it doesn;t work that way, you must give individuals options in which they can manage.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the quoted part of my post was more a reaction to the concept of the thread than a blanket that I know all statements to be true.
I am all for proper experiments to test hypotheses and backing advice with recorded experience.

I'd be interested to see your studies.

Also, I don't agree with absolute blanket answers for something as complicated as keeping a marine aquarium (especially since there are so many different organisms and system plans), so I appreciate distinctions made of the nuances. Your first comment on this thread was posted while I was typing my response, so I did not read it before my post. I do think some of the nuance that you addressed were already somewhat addressed in the original post. I also think the nuances you addressed are important distinctions.

I have too many thoughts right now about this for me to collect into a precise answer here. My response was more with the intent of hoping we can be more focused on recorded experience or proper experiments rather than the confusion caused by too much focus on simple anecdotal assumptions.

My primary intent in responding to this thread was to ask my previous question.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the quoted part of my post was more a reaction to the concept of the thread than a blanket that I know all statements to be true.
I am all for proper experiments to test hypotheses and backing advice with recorded experience.

I'd be interested to see your studies.

Also, I don't agree with absolute blanket answers for something as complicated as keeping a marine aquarium (especially since there are so many different organisms and system plans), so I appreciate distinctions made of the nuances. Your first comment on this thread was posted while I was typing my response, so I did not read it before my post. I do think some of the nuance that you addressed were already somewhat addressed in the original post. I also think the nuances you addressed are important distinctions.

I have too many thoughts right now about this for me to collect into a precise answer here. My response was more with the intent of hoping we can be more focused on recorded experience or proper experiments rather than the confusion caused by too much focus on simple anecdotal assumptions.

My primary intent in responding to this thread was to ask my previous question.

It's been 10 years since I actively dissected fish with questionable deaths, except for some of my own, and ones that died of old age, just to see. I really thought the copper toxicity in lions, scorps, eels, and others had been laid to rest well over a decade ago. I really thought it had become common knowledge. Honestly, the circle I live in, in the real world, everyone understands this. I even got the largest lfs in town that runs copper in their system to place their eels, lions and scorps, in copper free systems. They themselves finally had to admit the obvious. The other popular lfs that runs copper don't even bring those species in, once the lfs owner told me, "they always die". I am scaling down my involvement in the hobby and am content with just letting the fish I have die of old age. I no longer offer dissection to other hobbyists but am still happy to offer information that some may find useful. It frustrates me and I am learning myself, to not be so absolute, and try and offer people information on their terms.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, having looked into copper toxicity in aquaria enough to recognize that's it's an incredibly complex subject, I have a few questions here (partially for my own sake and partially for other's who may be concerned about and/or not want to use medications):

- Assuming that it's true that some species of fish (such as wrasse, scorpionfish, anglerfish, eels, etc.) are/may be particularly sensitive to copper (or other meds), what is(/are) the recommended treatment(s) for those fish (particularly for ich, velvet, flukes, and internal parasites)?

- Is chelated copper (which, to my understanding, is a substantially less toxic form of copper) safe enough to use with sensitive fish? (To my limited chemistry knowledge, this may be kind of a broad question, so maybe a better one would be asking if common chelated copper meds like Coppersafe or Copper Power are safe enough.)

- I have read that copper exposure may cause liver, kidney, gill, etc. damage in at least some species of fish under at least some conditions, such as if the fish has not been fed recently (see the link below); could these damages (assuming they happen with chelated copper treatments) be correlated with/causal of premature death after months/years (as lion king has observed), or is it expected that any such damage would be fully healed after a time?

- If hyposalinity is recommended as a treatment, is it safe for all marine fish?

- How does hyposalinity compare results-wise to copper treatment for marine fish?

The link mentioned above - it deals with mostly freshwater fish, but it also deals with a few saltwater fish as well, and it recognizes salinity as an important factor in copper toxicity:

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are some species that will react poorly, even to death when medications are dose in full strength. When a scorp has internal parasites they must be treated or they will die. Some will also die right away in full strength general cure or prazi pro is used. These species will do better and even been seen to be 100% successfully by splitting the dose into 3rds. You must ramp up over several hours to 12 hours to keep the strength of the dose viable.

I challenge anyone that still wants to use copper on species which are considered ambush predators or predators that have a different metabolism by a fast/gorge eating cycle and a sedentary lifestyle. When they die and it will happen much quicker than years, do a dissection and see the liver damage for yourself, if you aren't versed on dissection, you can see examples on you tube. Another challenge, show me some lions that survived copper treatment, years later.

Not always black and white, while it is not optimum sometimes there is a necessity in mixing meds with focus. If the fish is already in the tank and can't be removed for some reason or another, While not 100% it is better than watching internal parasites kill your fish and spread to others. Many have had success with metro+focus including myself.

An expanded explanation, while you do have to be concerned with the ammonia with shipped fish you also can't dump a fish shipped in 1.016 to 1.025 without likely death. You match and transfer fish into a separate container with fresh water, then do your acclimation if raising the sg.

This hobby is not absolute and regardless of how much we think our way is the only right way, people do have success practicing methods in which we do not.

I've sent hundreds of fish out for histopathology, it is NOT the use of copper years prior that causes the liver damage in these predatory fish. It is hepatic lipidosis and that is diet-related. Nobody has a really good handle on that - it isn't solely due to over-feeding, or improper HUFA profile, or lack of thiamin/vitamin E, probably is a combination of all factors.

Metro+focus works, but ONLY if you dose it correctly - 0.50% metro by weight in the food. If you don't know the concentration of the drug, don't use it. You wouldn't add an unknown amount of a drug to your tank water, why would you do that in their food?

Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, having looked into copper toxicity in aquaria enough to recognize that's it's an incredibly complex subject, I have a few questions here (partially for my own sake and partially for other's who may be concerned about and/or not want to use medications):

- Assuming that it's true that some species of fish (such as wrasse, scorpionfish, anglerfish, eels, etc.) are/may be particularly sensitive to copper (or other meds), what is(/are) the recommended treatment(s) for those fish (particularly for ich, velvet, flukes, and internal parasites)?

- Is chelated copper (which, to my understanding, is a substantially less toxic form of copper) safe enough to use with sensitive fish? (To my limited chemistry knowledge, this may be kind of a broad question, so maybe a better one would be asking if common chelated copper meds like Coppersafe or Copper Power are safe enough.)

- I have read that copper exposure may cause liver, kidney, gill, etc. damage in at least some species of fish under at least some conditions, such as if the fish has not been fed recently (see the link below); could these damages (assuming they happen with chelated copper treatments) be correlated with/causal of premature death after months/years (as lion king has observed), or is it expected that any such damage would be fully healed after a time?

- If hyposalinity is recommended as a treatment, is it safe for all marine fish?

- How does hyposalinity compare results-wise to copper treatment for marine fish?

The link mentioned above - it deals with mostly freshwater fish, but it also deals with a few saltwater fish as well, and it recognizes salinity as an important factor in copper toxicity:

Roughly; copper is much more toxic to fish in soft water (e.g. freshwater). Ionic copper is more toxic than amine-based chelated copper (coppersafe and copper power). Copper toxicity, if seen, is acute, not overtly chronic (e.g. showing up years later).

I have a rather strong suspicion that much of the "copper toxicity" seen with home aquarium fish is due to improper testing or the use of reducing agents that break the copper/amine bonds. The only basis I have for this are the continued reports of "copper killed my fish", while I personally have used amine-based copper on tens of thousands of fish with no issues. However, I never use reducing agents (ammonia removers, formalin, etc.) in systems that I am treating with copper, and I use a spectrophotometer to check my doses.

You risk over-extrapolation when you try to utilize papers from similar, but not identical studies. In this case, Nano-particles aren't necessarily the same as copper solutions. The best example I have of this was a few years ago, there was a paper that used sheets of copper to cure ich in fish. People were all gaga over the reports, but they missed the part of the paper where they said they were changing 100% of the tank water twice a day (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an excellent write-up - one comment / question - I assume you mean temperature adjusted dechlorinated /de-chloramined tap water?

I have another (potential) myth:

Adding bacterial supplements increases tank-biodiversity, and increased biodiversity should be a goal (a primary as compared to a secondary goal. Of course having a variety of microorganisms, etc would seem to be helpful. I think it's been shown that adding bacteria, etc to a tank (or adding parasites to stimulate immunity, etc) but especially bacteria - does not increase biodiversity - and can cause other problems.
I clarified the temperature issue. Dechlorination is o.k., but you don't have to do it. And, if you do dechlorinate, you need to ensure you dose the correct amount as too much will lower the dissolved oxygen level in the dip water.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back