Nano ato over fill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon the launague.

Purchased 10/25 started acting up a few weeks ago. Float is clean. Sometimes it overflows some times it doesn't. Hard to keep salinty.

Any help or suggestions. I've also found a similar thread about this problem

Attachments

• 20200116_201516.mp4
    11.8 MB

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch is a magnetic switch, if another magnet is within about 4", the magnets are misaligned, or the glass is less than 3/16", that can essentially pin the float on, the bobber may move but the magnetic field is actuating the siwtch. Then all that will stop it is the safety timer. Typically, overfilling is caused by either a short on the circuit board usually due to water damage at the float connector or relay , or a magnetic field affecting the float or the relay (for example the controller is next to a ballast or power supply emitting EMF). If the timer stops it, the issue is float related, if nothing stops it, it is most likely relay related. I would check for anything magnetic and open the controller and inspect it, water damage is usually subtle and due to water following the float wire or plugging in a wet power supply tip.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue with mine after moving my sensor from my tank to my sump. Sometimes it works great, other times the timer shuts it off. Would the sensor being too close to the return pump, or too close to an electrical outlet cause a magnetic field?

OP
OP
Bnichols124

Bnichols124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue with mine after moving my sensor from my tank to my sump. Sometimes it works great, other times the timer shuts it off. Would the sensor being too close to the return pump, or too close to an electrical outlet cause a magnetic field?
AIO unfortunately I have little space between the pump, wires and cords. I also run a apex, ph probe, temp probe, ground probe, a digital thermometer probe. I'm postive theres a magnetic field around my ATO with all the equipment I run witch would cause my problem and was about the time my problems arose with it not working. Sadly it looks like I wont be running this ATO anymore and have switched to 2 apex optical sensors, using the Ato Pump and the sensor taped down until I get a PMUP in.

20200118_162151.jpg

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO unfortunately I have little space between the pump, wires and cords. I also run a apex, ph probe, temp probe, ground probe, a digital thermometer probe. I'm postive theres a magnetic field around my ATO with all the equipment I run witch would cause my problem and was about the time my problems arose with it not working. Sadly it looks like I wont be running this ATO anymore and have switched to 2 apex optical sensors, using the Ato Pump and the sensor taped down until I get a PMUP in.

Bummer it's a nice ATO when it works! I'm running an external sump, so I do have a little room to move stuff around. Hopefully I can come up with a solution.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With sumps, be careful that the real issue is not a siphon, if it timed out the pump will twitch. Anytime your hose end is below the reservoir water level, water will siphon in, generally safest practice is sensor in sump, top off hose to overflow or main tank.

Every sensor has its failure point, optic sensors cannot differentiate well between bubbles and being dry, for that reason, if you only will have one sensor, a float is generally more reliable, though they are less precise. The floats main failure point is magnetic fields. You don't want any magnet within about 4" and the included magnet holder needs 3/16-3/8" of material between it and it must be properly lined up.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 fix to this ato- get a piece of cardboard and put it between the magnet on the outside of the tank and the tank itself.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With sumps, be careful that the real issue is not a siphon, if it timed out the pump will twitch. Anytime your hose end is below the reservoir water level, water will siphon in, generally safest practice is sensor in sump, top off hose to overflow or main tank.

Every sensor has its failure point, optic sensors cannot differentiate well between bubbles and being dry, for that reason, if you only will have one sensor, a float is generally more reliable, though they are less precise. The floats main failure point is magnetic fields. You don't want any magnet within about 4" and the included magnet holder needs 3/16-3/8" of material between it and it must be properly lined up.
I messed with mine last night and I noticed I had a power brick from my light right next to the sensor! I also moved the sensor away from my return pump. Glad I stumbled on this thread. So far its holding steady!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back