Nano Macroalgea Tank

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Though I'd share my Macroalgea tank. Since I'm fascinated about them they are the main focus of the tank. I am still learning since it's my first saltwater tank and it's just a couple of months old but I want to show how it progresses.

69D260FD-DF95-42CD-8B5D-46D772D039E1.jpeg F86E3036-A78C-46B1-91FC-2717B2127F4A.jpeg 3F6A4B75-4E3E-41EF-9466-9E7FE2CE3718.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Though I'd share my Macroalgea tank. Since I'm fascinated about them they are the main focus of the tank. I am still learning since it's my first saltwater tank and it's just a couple of months old but I want to show how it progresses.

69D260FD-DF95-42CD-8B5D-46D772D039E1.jpeg F86E3036-A78C-46B1-91FC-2717B2127F4A.jpeg 3F6A4B75-4E3E-41EF-9466-9E7FE2CE3718.jpeg

Very cool! I love it!

#reefsquad, @Lasse !

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, some of the micro algae is stunning.

I actually tried adding some lovely red algae of different types into my tank, the non invasive species, but unfortunately the various tangs finished it all of in quick time! lol

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful

Do you use any types of CUC in that tank? Snails, hermits.....

Sincerely Lasse

There's only one very small hitchhiked snail, too small to even identify. All the cleaning is done by thousands of copepods and some amphipods. From what I'm seeing they weren't cleaning enough before because I had the tank setup with 12 hours of light and they couldn't keep up with the hair algea growth but now each day I can see them cleaning everything.
When I took these pics with the macro lens I got to see them in action and it took me by surprise how many they are and how active they were

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, some of the micro algae is stunning.

I actually tried adding some lovely red algae of different types into my tank, the non invasive species, but unfortunately the various tangs finished it all of in quick time! lol
Yeah, some of my favorites are the smallest like that epiphytic coraline growing over the Digenea, one I have to take a pic that looks like a miniature cabomba another miniature mermaid's cup and a purple ball of hair algea.
Since I made this envisioning the algea as the main actors I am super scared on putting an animal that will devour them (and the copepod clean up army) so I'm content like this.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for sharing. The tank is looking great for only being a couple months in. I'm looking forward to following along and watching the progression. BTW - did you catch the links I posted in the other macro thread?

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. The tank is looking great for only being a couple months in. I'm looking forward to following along and watching the progression. BTW - did you catch the links I posted in the other macro thread?
Thanks for sharing those links, was checking them out while jogging and luckily I didn't trip over. Such a beautiful tank with all those filter feeders.
I think I'd be harder for me to keep such setup since I'm really far away from everything.
My goal is to get experience and keep sizing up the setup until it becomes a giant underwater garden (as part of a botanical garden)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing those links, was checking them out while jogging and luckily I didn't trip over. Such a beautiful tank with all those filter feeders.
I think I'd be harder for me to keep such setup since I'm really far away from everything.
My goal is to get experience and keep sizing up the setup until it becomes a giant underwater garden (as part of a botanical garden)

You clearly must have some skills if you can jog and read your phone at the same time! Around here, unless on a bike path, that would be a big invitation to getting run over as drivers seem to pay little attention to runners. I've been gently hit once and almost hit numerous times and I pay attention!

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of it! Where did you get all the different types of macros? What are you using for lighting?
A friend (who had built the first reef tank in Panama with my father years ago) had invited me to his house in the Caribbean. So I organized a trip there to "hang out at the beach" but my real intentions were to try my luck finding macros. I had tried to purchase some but the LFS here didn't have any Macros and didn't show interest in importing for me.
So that day I arrived and weather was great but there was a lot of big dangerous waves and currents so we couldn't go swimming. Luckily for me those currents brought many Macroalgea cuttings to the shore. So I tried to get as much as I could, hoping one of them could make it.
I also got a couple of small rockswith some coraline to "seed" my tank.
Luckily all the cuttings survived, plus the small rocks unexpectedly sprouted 4 species of macros. In total I've counted 23 species so far and every now and then new ones appear.
I'm still tinkering with the parameters because they grow and stop, grow and stop. I think now that I had too much light on It and they are consuming salts from the water changes.

As for light I use a Twinstar lamp meant for planted tanks. I found that they are liking the green LEDs.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! It looks like everything is filling in nicely. Do you plan to upsize your system? Maybe sell some of the ones that grow really well? I have a hard time finding non common macros. The one site that does have a lot are out of stock every time I check. I guess it’s a seasonal thing and I’m not looking at the right times.

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You clearly must have some skills if you can jog and read your phone at the same time! Around here, unless on a bike path, that would be a big invitation to getting run over as drivers seem to pay little attention to runners. I've been gently hit once and almost hit numerous times and I pay attention!
It was on a road inside my farm so at most I'd be runover by a falling tree or a Tapir.

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! It looks like everything is filling in nicely. Do you plan to upsize your system? Maybe sell some of the ones that grow really well? I have a hard time finding non common macros. The one site that does have a lot are out of stock every time I check. I guess it’s a seasonal thing and I’m not looking at the right times.
Yes, that's the idea! My goal is to make a large marine garden for a botanical garden and this tank is to gain experience, comfortable and learn all the requirements.

I saw that lack of supply when looking online and was wondering with a friend why is this. Maybe they don't travel well?Anyway, I grow orchids and will be looking to sell in the US and Europe and if I can get the permits to export Macros for sure I would give it a try.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on a road inside my farm so at most I'd be runover by a falling tree or a Tapir.

Commendable of you to have Tapirs as they are highly endagered! I'm wondering where you're located as Tapirs are mostly found in Central and South America. Care to share your location?

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am in Central America, in the cloud forests of Panama. About 2000 meters above sea level. Don't get many Tapirs around but lately one has been living marks on the path I jog.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am in Central America, in the cloud forests of Panama. About 2000 meters above sea level. Don't get many Tapirs around but lately one has been living marks on the path I jog.

I can only imagine it to be beautiful where you're located. Are you from that area originally? If not, what prompted relocating there?

OP
OP
Andy Macro

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine it to be beautiful where you're located. Are you from that area originally? If not, what prompted relocating there?
Its a family farm, have been moving back and forth from the city before but decided to make it more permanent this year. Thats why I moved my tanks here. You can look it up in IG, youtube and google as "Finca Dracula". I joke that I have experience with mountain reefs because some of the branches have moss and lichen that look like corals.
I actually started this project because I saw pictures of coldwater planted tanks, and they seemed so otherworldly that it inspired me to make a marine garden

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back