Nano No More!

Agamerce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert here, Fairy Wrasse needs 125 gallons at adult size. You CAN, but should you is your choice. Post in the fish discussion thread for stocking experts too.

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress. I always love a tank upgrade. More options for fish, corals etc.

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool so far. Remember sometimes less is more in the case of aquascaping. It all depends on what you like.

PS - I noticed you had three supervisors in the one pick. I have two, plus two kids, and an opinionated wife to top it off. Wouldn't change it.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, at least the furry supervisors don't say much. No humans to speak of here in my place ;)

I picked up another 25lbs or so of rock from another friend.. I don't like them as much. may use a few pieces to raise the island on the left more.

Do you guys use putty to hold the rocks in place, or balance it in case you need to take it apart? debating what I want to do.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I've finalized my rockscape. I kept in account of placement of future corals, giving enough ledges. Kept the rocks away from the sides too for easy cleaning.
I just need more epoxy- I ran out, lol.

OBRWndP.jpg

ZQ9x3NF.jpg

owR2WlV.jpg

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how those turn out! I have been pretty interested in those...

they're not too bad. i had one when i first started out and got the job done. you'll be able to keep softies and some LPS. sucks having to change out the bulbs every year. you might want to look into the Chinese black boxes if your on a budget they are cheap and you can pretty much keep any type of corals.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the chinese black box a new thing? I am only hearing about it recently.

I'll try this coralife for a while. if I hate it, I can always get something else. I hate returning items, lol

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the chinese black box a new thing? I am only hearing about it recently.

I'll try this coralife for a while. if I hate it, I can always get something else. I hate returning items, lol

no they've been out for a couple years. try googling Chinese Black Boxes LEDs. a lot of people swear by them. i ran some for a couple years with great success until i upgraded to AI Hyrdas 26 HDs. heres a link to one of the more popular black boxes...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MarsAq...919399?hash=item3a8f569567:g:XQMAAOSwMNxXaONw

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're not too bad. i had one when i first started out and got the job done. you'll be able to keep softies and some LPS. sucks having to change out the bulbs every year. you might want to look into the Chinese black boxes if your on a budget they are cheap and you can pretty much keep any type of corals.

Would you recommend them above a Fluval 2.0 Marine and Reef LED? That is what I have now and they have bright colors, and I enjoy how I can set a timer on daylights and night-lights.

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend them above a Fluval 2.0 Marine and Reef LED? That is what I have now and they have bright colors, and I enjoy how I can set a timer on daylights and night-lights.

would i recommend the corallife? or the Chinese black boxes? hahah i would recommend both of these over the Fluval. sorry :)

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would i recommend the corallife? or the Chinese black boxes? hahah i would recommend both of these over the Fluval. sorry :)

That's all I needed to know! I'm going to return the Fluval right now. I've had some issues with their wifi module and it's been really upsetting. Honestly I purchased the Fluval 2.0 and wifi module because they were more expensive. I'm a true believer of "you get what you pay for". However I guess not in my case!

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all I needed to know! I'm going to return the Fluval right now. I've had some issues with their wifi module and it's been really upsetting. Honestly I purchased the Fluval 2.0 and wifi module because they were more expensive. I'm a true believer of "you get what you pay for". However I guess not in my case!

haha i totally get it when i first started out i tried to go the cheapest route. but like u said u get what you paid for. even tho the black boxes are cheap they definetley are way better than the Fluval lol

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fluval on my 28 gal nano. Not loving it at all. my corals shrank on it. wound up putting the original lighting back on, lol

I may use the fluval for my sump. why waste it.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad. I had a friend come and help me put the sump in the stand0 which required takign the tank down. He took all the rocks out and piled them together.. now I am having difficulty putting the rocks back together! He didn't give me the chance to at least separate the rocks and put them close together the way I had it.

Sump is in and he left.. and I spent an hour trying to rebuild the rockscape close to the way I had it. I had to walk away because now I hate the rock scape, lol

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad. I had a friend come and help me put the sump in the stand0 which required takign the tank down. He took all the rocks out and piled them together.. now I am having difficulty putting the rocks back together! He didn't give me the chance to at least separate the rocks and put them close together the way I had it.

Sump is in and he left.. and I spent an hour trying to rebuild the rockscape close to the way I had it. I had to walk away because now I hate the rock scape, lol

hahaha definetley know how that goes! try looking at your original pics your posted for reference? i feel like i want to re arrange my scape every week haha maybe when you walk back later you'll be determined to perfect it! lol any pics of the new sump!!

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Website and my LFS assured me that the bulkheads on my tank is 1 inch. So I didnt check myself when I went to get the plumbing. I get home, piece everything together, then realized the bulkhead was not 1 inch as I was told. Good thing I didn't glue anything together! I had trouble measuring the bulkhead, so I went to the store, got a piece to test out.. 1.5 was too big. will have to go back tomorrow and try a 1.25 piece.. do they make those?? can someone help me?

I will have to post photos later.. imgur isn't behaving right now- can't upload at the moment

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, finally got photos uploaded. I have some plumbing down, but of course, now the size is wrong. but at least I have a better understanding of how to do things.

My cat is carefully inspecting everything and my handiwork. Good kitty.
7HAYZUP.jpg

kMruHEc.jpg

icIuXVO.jpg

MfPAK9C.jpg

This is where I halted. The bulkhead is too big for the pipes. if I could only get the larger size down to 1 inch, but no luck at the hardware store! I'll have to return everything and get the correct size.

3xdf2Ki.jpg
7HAYZUP.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I am a total IDIOT! Shows how much I know about this stuff.. I saw someone else's photo. I don't need a female threaded pipe to go OVER the bulkhead- I need a coupling that goes INSIDE the bulkhead. 1 inch coupling would fit inside.

Right? or am I still an idiot?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back