Naoko's Fairy Wrasse laying on side

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently introduced a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse into my tank a few days ago. He has been pretty timid, hiding within the rock. I was able to get him to eat yesterday. Today he came right out once I turned the flow off and I saw it as an opportunity to feed him. He readily accepted it.

This evening I saw him out in the tank and decided to feed him. He ate a decent amount again. However I noticed him in one specific area in the tank, no longer in the rock scape but underneath an octospawn where he’s hanging out. He keeps going back and forth between swimming/flashing to lying on his side. He will swim for a minute or two then lay on his side for 20-30 seconds. I have only kept Leopard Wrasse and one other Fairy/Flasher Wrasse prior. I don’t recall either exhibiting this behavior. However he did come from a tank with sand and is now in a BB tank.

Not sure how common it is for this specific wrasse to exhibit the “faking death” behavior. I suppose one question is, are there other signs to look out for which should be considered more alarming or is this behavior fairly common when first introduced and or stressed?

Everything I’ve heard is that they’re very fast swimmers but so far he has been very timid/cautious and anything but fast.

Any shared knowledge and or input on this is appreciated.

IMG_4725.jpeg

Additionally I’ve noticed that on one side of his tail the markings look different. Not sure if his fine got damaged when netting him following the drip acclimation. This photo was taken just now during his up/down episode.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While he’s not fully laying on his side in the video he has been fully on his side several times.

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like the back of his dorsal fin is damaged in the area where the strange marking is on his tail

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one additional video which better shows his fins/scales

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like some stress from bullying. The gramma made an open-mouthed pass at it in one video.

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tail dropping starting at 37 seconds in the first video concern anyone?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that he doesn’t appear to be using it fully. You hate to read UNWD into every naoko that acts weird. Time will tell.
Honestly, I think Naokoae is the most prone to UNWD out of the Fairy wrasses unfortunately.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have linked this earlier, but was on my phone.

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response. I ended up going to sleep. He did not come out once today when feeding. I had to run to the store and I saw him lying on his side near the cave which he hides in. Out of no where he began swimming but more so floated up and spiraled then the powerhead pushed him into a torch.

Needless to say I kind of panicked and netted him out while putting him into a 5 minute fw dip. I’m not completely sure if that was the right move or not with him being in this stage but I also didn’t want to see him fall into one of my torches. His behavior and breathing significantly mellowed out in the FW dip. I returned him to the tank where he’s currently breathing a little faster on his side but he’s not floating around the tank anymore.

I’m guessing he’s probably a goner at this point. I appreciate you referencing UNWD. I will read the linked article right now so I know what to look out for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back