natural lighting or strong lighting?

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am in a dilemma, i am upgrading my lighting from a current usa loop single light and i am wondering if i should get the Current Orbit Marine IC PRO LED Reef Aquarium Dual Light System with Wireless Loop or i should get something else keep in mind this will be a mixed reef but no sps but i will have a couple BTA and i could also tether wave pumps to the wave pump controller to make it one system or should i get something else?

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would only be able to get a pair of kessils but i dont know if they have the sunset and the moonlight and daylight mode like the current usa loop

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these over my 60g cube and love it. 6 channels, ramp up/down (sunrise/sunset) and moonlights. At 50% on all channels I get 230 par on the sand mounted 11 inches over 24" of water.

At 30" you'd probably want the next size up:

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran current ic pro's for a year and a half- kept everything alive, some lps grew ok, some very slow. softies were fine, I only tried lower light sps, but they all lived, some grew very very slow, some lost a lot of color. but a couple did have very nice color and grew pretty fast(poci and monti).
I never had BTA'S, don't they require a lot of light? if so probably not.

Upgraded to reefbreeders, world of difference. Like starting the whole algae cycle over again difference. Actually currently getting my butt whooped by algae due to the change. So if you change up to much stronger lighting be prepared for some possible issues

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! the only problem though is the wave makers if i got that other system (the current usa) i would b able to get good wave makers and tether it so that i can control it all with one controller if i got this one i would not be able to do that or should i just get it because its just better? im just looking for a tidy setup thats all! :)

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have their own remote... you program them once and they just work. I don't synch my lights and wave makers, never really thought about it. My wavemakers do have a light sensor and can vary the flow in night mode or whatever if I decide to. Bang for the buck these lights are tough to beat. I think even the 16 that I have would be fine in your tank. The 24 isn't much more money though.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about kessil have you used those? or know if they are as good as the reef breeders im just trying to look at all my options

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used the Kessil lights. They're a bit more than your budget and I'm not sure about the coverage from side to side. Maybe someone will chime in regarding those. I do know that the light I have has exceeded my expectations. I've done some testing with my par meter and am confident that I could grow anything I wanted to under these lights. The other thing about Reef Breeders is the customer support is second to none. Logan from Reef Breeders is very responsive and was emailing back and forth with me at like 11:30pm on a Tuesday night. Not sure where you're located but they're out of Rhode Island.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have done some extra research and you have successfully persuaded me and mainly because of the par levels i only expected a max par of 400 boy was i mistaken! (in a good way) and the scheduled lighting changes! ;Drool i am a supporter now

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1602561103172.png

just look at it, my tank is 18" deep this will suffice.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the "Sunny Day" setting on the remote all channels are at 50%. Par reading on the sand bed (just tested again to be sure) fluctuates between 228-237 in the center. The light is 9.5" above the water level in a 60g cube (24x24x24). You won't be sorry... you'll be able to put anything you want under that light.

Current tank shot using my custom settings (still ramping up - ch1: 3%, ch2: 3%, ch3: 18% ch4: 5%, ch5: 8% ch6: 8%):
IMG_1784.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my reef breeders photon v2. Set it and forget it.

Some recent pics taken under mine

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great i will post when i get the light it might take a while though because of "life stuff" but i estimate around a month, but ill be waiting!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got the Current USA last month; I'm hoping to pick up a PAR meter sometime this month. I think its good for a budget tank, but when we have to light the 200 gallon we'll probably go with Kessil lights. The Current has a lovely mild shimmer on the 20 gH tank. We're building a mixed reef, but its only been up since August, so no corals yet! Please be sure to update with photos when your light comes in! I'd love to see it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back