Need advice on flasher wrasse compatibility

JonathanV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been lurking on r2r for awhile now and this is my first time posting here. I was wondering whether or not a McCoskers flasher wrasse would be compatible/fine in a 20 long? I’ve done a lot of research on this topic up to this point as it is my dream fish and I understand that while the recommended volume for this fish is around 30 gallons, vertical swimming distance is by far the most important factor in making swimmers like wrasses comfortable in the tank. Also, I’ve seen in some threads where people have kept smaller flasher wrasses in 20 longs without any problems. With the 20 long spanning 30 inches and a decent amount of rock work and caves to break up territories, I was wondering whether or not it would be adequate to keep the fish not stressed and to not be cruel towards it? If not what would be some other recommendations as I would like to add some swimming/movement in terms of livestock to the tank? I will also be keeping the bioload low if I am able to add this wrasse to the tank.
Thanks so much!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been lurking on r2r for awhile now and this is my first time posting here. I was wondering whether or not a McCoskers flasher wrasse would be compatible/fine in a 20 long? I’ve done a lot of research on this topic up to this point as it is my dream fish and I understand that while the recommended volume for this fish is around 30 gallons, vertical swimming distance is by far the most important factor in making swimmers like wrasses comfortable in the tank. Also, I’ve seen in some threads where people have kept smaller flasher wrasses in 20 longs without any problems. With the 20 long spanning 30 inches and a decent amount of rock work and caves to break up territories, I was wondering whether or not it would be adequate to keep the fish not stressed and to not be cruel towards it? If not what would be some other recommendations as I would like to add some swimming/movement in terms of livestock to the tank? I will also be keeping the bioload low if I am able to add this wrasse to the tank.
Thanks so much!
I personally believe that horizontal swimming space is more important. In my tank the wrasses seem to swim more horizontal than vertical. I have a long tank, so obviously they have a lot more room to swim horizontally. Nevertheless, I think 20 gallons is a little small for McCoskers' wrasses. Unless you can find a small one and have a relocation plan (either upgrade to a larger tank or rehome it) I wouldn't recommend it. There are small flasher wrasses and pygmy wrasses are a good choice!

Chasenm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah even a 20 long isn’t going to cut it, when flasher wrasses get excited they can cover even a 4ft tank in the blink of an eye. The closest thing you could do that I still advise against is like a Lubbocks wrasse.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back