Need advice: Temporarily "abandoning" a simple nano tank in NYC.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the fish will be fine. As said they can forage for food for a long time. weeks for sure. The corals will survive via light. The main issue I see is top off and perhaps any equipment failures that could occur.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many clubs in New York. I can’t imagine there is a club member that for a small fee or even a gift certificate wouldn’t mind babysitting the tank within their home until he gets things situated and can pickup tank when ready .
Would be the most dependable solution

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to make plans and pick up the aquarium. I picked it up today, here are some picture of the condition it was in.

When I picked it up, the heater had failed and the return pump was not working. There was a thin film on the water from being stagnant.

The start fish died along with a snail or two. As I was breaking down the tank, it had a pretty strong rotting odor.

IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg
IMG_2068.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed the sand lightly in RODI water, and installed a pump and Ehiem heater that I use for water changes.

Is anyone here using a Sicce 0.5 pump in these tanks? It needs replacement pump and I am going to tell the owner to buy a replacement with something other than the stock fluval pump.

Here is how the tank is set up now.
IMG_2082.jpg
IMG_2085.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2083.jpg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re an awesome person for helping out! i think the thing you’re asking about is called a rock flower anemone, unless I’m missing whatever you’re asking

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re an awesome person for helping out! i think the thing you’re asking about is called a rock flower anemone, unless I’m missing whatever you’re asking

I've never kept one before, looks a little beat up. Does it look normal to you guys or on its way out? I'm guessing that it still has its colors so it must not be doing too bad. Any care tips for the anemone?

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a rock flower anemone. PM me your location in Brooklyn. I have an original Fluval pump I'm not using. NIB.

Thanks for the offer, but unless you want to donate it, I would like to run something else other than the stock pump. I'm not a huge fan of Fluval's pump construction.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept one before, looks a little beat up. Does it look normal to you guys or on its way out? I'm guessing that it still has its colors so it must not be doing too bad. Any care tips for the anemone?
They’re pretty low maintenance. I have a couple that I feed frozen food every so often.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back