Need Heater Recommendations (40B)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, except I would set T2 to 81°F (from 80°F), the High Temperature Alarm to 82°F (from 80°F) and the Low Temperature Alarm to 75°F (from 74°F). This way the Cobalt heater shuts itself off when it hits 80°F (instead of the Inkbird) and you don't get a wailing alarm from the Inkbird if your temperature ever hits 80°F (it has to hit 82°F or drop to 75°F).

The Inkbird will always stay on if the temperature is above 76°F, and only turn off it the temperature hits 81°F. You'll get an audible alarm from the Inkbird if the Cobalt heater fails and the temperature drops below 75°F or exceeds 82°F. This gives you a ±1°F margin of error for the alarms on top of the ±1°F margin of error for the Inkbird temperature probes.
If I understand this correctly you are having set to where the inkbird is the backup and the heater does the normally cycling on and off? If so that doesn't work for the 306A because of the continous heating alarm.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if it helps any here are my settings. You want to set T1 where you want the heaters to turn on, and T2 where they turn off. Most people will set these to as small a range as possible. Then the low alarm needs to be a couple degrees lower than T1 and the high alarm a couple degrees higher than T2.
Screenshot_20210920-101935_InkbirdSmart.jpg
Screenshot_20210920-101943_InkbirdSmart.jpg

The Neotherm (I'm not familiar with them) needs to be set somewhere outside of the T1 and T2 values so that the inkbird is cycling the heaters on and off. If the inkbird turns the outlets on for more than the number of hours set in the continuous heating setting then it will turn off all outlets and set an alarm.

Last edited:

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the Inkbird to control the heaters then you'll want the temps on the heaters set higher than the high temp on the controller. That way the heaters are not the one turning themselves on and off, the Inkbird should be.

I also think your temp swing it too much personally. I keep mine set to 77.0 for T1 and 78.0 for T2. I wouldn't swing it more than 2 degrees personally.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand this correctly you are having set to where the inkbird is the backup and the heater does the normally cycling on and off? If so that doesn't work for the 306A because of the continous heating alarm.
Right - I keep forgetting about the continuous heating alarm. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back